follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #9297
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Right, and it seems that it would be even more complicated than that right? The controller would need to be told what map to use based on speed and RPM. That is, you would want to use a different map when going 65mph @ 3,000 RPM as you would going 65mph @ 4,000 RPM. I suppose one way to do that would be to develop logic that has the controller query a Speed vs RPM table telling the controller which map to choose, which would need to be sampled continuously or at least fast enough to be appropriately responsive to the fastest changes in the sampled parameter values. Then it would use the appropriate map until another threshold was reached in the Speed vs. RPM table. Additionally, there would also probably need to be some hysteresis built into the logic to account for cases where the system is straddling a map switching point. That's why I was wondering if it would be more practical/simpler to sample the gear select signal to reduce the amount of sampling or having to build in any hysteresis. I expect using the gear select signal would have it's own problems too given that the indicated gear doesn't show up on the display until after the clutch is let out almost completely.
Like I showed above, the software already has provision for Road Speed. Using "if/then" statements, the best map can be chosen based on Road Speed, Throttle, and RPM, no matter what gear it's in. The determining factor isn't really which gear it's in, it's "What is the required torque, versus, what is the requested torque?". That determines how much boost is required to make up the difference. Since neither requested torque, nor required torque are available to the Procede, we would have to make do with Road Speed, Throttle, and RPM, which are and could be available to the Procede. The Procede is capable of doing much more than it's being used for, why not make use of that ability?
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #9298
gtfapollo

Drives: Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brushless motors. The electronics will fail before the motor if we go by current trends. Cooling may be an issue but the maps seem to show it's hardly working at all. This should definitely play out. This will further 'prove' the system. There are a number of us who wish to see in what direction this goes - this kit just does not fail to impress, and the community backing and further pushing the envelope of the product is just awesome.
gtfapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #9299
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Like I showed above, the software already has provision for Road Speed. Using "if/then" statements, the best map can be chosen based on Road Speed, Throttle, and RPM, no matter what gear it's in. The determining factor isn't really which gear it's in, it's "What is the required torque, versus, what is the requested torque?". That determines how much boost is required to make up the difference. Since neither requested torque, nor required torque are available to the Procede, we would have to make do with Road Speed, Throttle, and RPM, which are and could be available to the Procede. The Procede is capable of doing much more than it's being used for, why not make use of that ability?
Very cool. I have no familiarity with the full capability of the PROcede controller so that is really nice to hear that it can be programed with the IF-THEN statements. It seems then that with further testing, which is obviously already happening, the system is only going to improve. Very exciting. I can hardly wait until my number comes up!
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #9300
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
On a side note... If you have an odyssey battery I recommend this:
Attachment 118425

It's the metal jacket for the battery. It helps protect it an additional 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will need one of these. My Odyssey died a few weeks ago
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #9301
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu-Tang View Post
I will need one of these. My Odyssey died a few weeks ago

Do the warranty on the battery. I received mine yesterday.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #9302
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Very cool. I have no familiarity with the full capability of the PROcede controller so that is really nice to hear that it can be programed with the IF-THEN statements. It seems then that with further testing, which is obviously already happening, the system is only going to improve. Very exciting. I can hardly wait until my number comes up!
I'm not sure that it can do "if/then: statements. Since we don't have access to any definition files. That's where the if/then statements would go. I'm not sure the Procede software is open source. Sharing maps is one thing, but if the software isn't open source, sharing code might be prohibited. We just have to wait until shiv chimes in.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #9303
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Ordered the Procede this morning. I'm not expecting it to arrive before my Pismo trip this Saturday, but if it did that would be pretty awesome as we're both in the state of CA. Looking forward to refining the boost so I don't always have to rev like I stole the car :p

Last edited by LucidMomentum; 08-24-2015 at 02:32 PM.
LucidMomentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #9304
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeff View Post
I wonder if Rob would be able to source replacement parts without a long wait if a blower were to be killed prematurely.

Also, you might have missed my post in the discussion but any chance we could get the updated wait list posted? Thanks @fenton!
Rob always has replacement parts ready to go out next day if anything were to happen. A couple people that did have issues had a very positive experience when requesting replacement parts.

As for the list, I'll post something this week with the current standings:

Just making sure im not missing anyone. For people requesting to be added to the list, please PM Robftss only....it is very hard to keep track of it when they email me and Rob, or just me.

If you have asked to be added to the list but have had no response PM please send a follow up PM. It is possible that you were initially missed as there were tonnes of PM's flying back and forth for a bit there.

Thanks All!
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-24-2015), iJeff (08-25-2015), LucidMomentum (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #9305
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Rob always has replacement parts ready to go out next day if anything were to happen. A couple people that did have issues had a very positive experience when requesting replacement parts.

Thanks All!

That's great to hear. Prepare for people to ask why he has spare parts and why he isn't putting them into more kits though :p

Anyways, take my name off the waiting list as I'm no longer waiting for one!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #9306
Sosa
[||]--(86)--[||]

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The progress on this kit is staggering, amazing job by all the contributors!

I am curious about exhausts. My vague (still researching) understanding is 2.5" piping is sufficient for NA while 3" is recommended for FI (turbo charged, not sure on super charged).

Where would you say the ESC fits in? Would a slightly larger pipe, say 2.7", be wise or is 2.5" still sufficient?

*Edit: premature post
Old 08-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #9307
ShadowTS

Drives: Toyota GT86 SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm on the waiting list, I suppose I'll approach the top of the list in very few months or less. However I've just noticed, reading old posts, that there are no OFT ESC maps for EU calibrations or EU RON gas (only 91oct, 93oct, E85). Is it correct ( @Shiv@Openflash ) ?

Also, I'm not sure where to check the latest maps, I've found 2 different pages on the OFT website:
http://openflashtablet.com/page33/pr...ads/index.html
http://openflashtablet.com/Automotive/FRS/downloads/
The second one looks more recent, but I've also noticed that the v2.x Naturally Aspired maps no longer have distincion on US 91/93 or EU 95/98, and that now "Premium gasoline" is required for every map, excluding the ESC ones. Is it correct?
ShadowTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #9308
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTS View Post
I'm on the waiting list, I suppose I'll approach the top of the list in very few months or less. However I've just noticed, reading old posts, that there are no OFT ESC maps for EU calibrations or EU RON gas (only 91oct, 93oct, E85). Is it correct ( @Shiv@Openflash ) ?

Also, I'm not sure where to check the latest maps, I've found 2 different pages on the OFT website:
http://openflashtablet.com/page33/pr...ads/index.html
http://openflashtablet.com/Automotive/FRS/downloads/
The second one looks more recent, but I've also noticed that the v2.x Naturally Aspired maps no longer have distincion on US 91/93 or EU 95/98, and that now "Premium gasoline" is required for every map, excluding the ESC ones. Is it correct?

As far as I know there's very few FT ESC kits outside of the US. That may be why there aren't many maps for RON gas. You may want to work with @Shiv@Openflash on that.

Also as far as premium gas goes, that just means don't use any less than 91 Octane, as is recommended by Toyota for these cars. Not sure what the RON equivalent is.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #9309
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
The progress on this kit is staggering, amazing job by all the contributors!

I am curious about exhausts. My vague (still researching) understanding is 2.5" piping is sufficient for NA while 3" is recommended for FI (turbo charged, not sure on super charged).

Where would you say the ESC fits in? Would a slightly larger pipe, say 2.7", be wise or is 2.5" still sufficient?

*Edit: premature post

2.5 is sufficient.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #9310
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
91 is 95 RON
93 is 98 RON
stevo585 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive