follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #29
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Man, talk about thread necro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
sorry for bump.

Does the damn light only go up at 2 gallons left?

Mine does...or least seems it does this when I have 10-15 miles left... It should be more, no? I did this today and then pumped 13.07 gallons! My truck has like 50miles left before it dies.
Your story is not making any sense.

First, if the light comes on with 2 gallons left, and you only have 15 miles left, that means you're only getting 7.5 miles per gallon in a car designed to get as much as 35 mpg. So right off the bat that's telling me either you're making wild guesses without thinking about them, or something is seriously wrong with your car.

Second, it's not possible to pump 13.07 gallons into this tank unless it's a completely empty tank that was just installed with no fuel in it. That's because although this is a 13.2 gallon tank, only 12.5 gallons are usable. The pickup is situated above the bottom of the tank so that it does not suck in water or sediment. You could not drive up to a pump and pump 13.07 gallons unless you spilled some of it. The car will quit before that with 1/2 gallon still in the tank.

If the pump actually said you pumped 13.07 gallons, it was wrong. That happens. I had a pump read that I pumped 21 gallons into a 20 gallon tank once. If that happens, you can report it to your state government, and they will sometimes send out someone to inspect the pumps and fine the gas station for tampering with them to make more money.

Now, to answer your question directly, I monitor my fuel remaining in Torque, which reads it out as gallons, and my low fuel light seems to come on consistently at 2.4 gallons. That means there are about 3 gallons still in the tank, with 2.4 gallons available to me. At my normal fuel economy, I should be able to drive at least another 60 miles before running out of gas.

And in case anybody reads this ancient thread and believes some of the stuff that was posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
just FYI, you should never run until the gas light is on. doing so prematurely wears out your fuel pump.
This is nonsense. Since the light comes on when the tank still has roughly 3 gallons of fuel in it, the pump is not running without lubrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeloyangster View Post
I don't know if this still applies to more modern cars but if you allow the gas to always get really low before refilling, there are sediments and in-purities sitting at the bottom of the tank. By allowing the gas to get so low you have a better chance of getting that stuff stuck in your fuel filter and having to change it out. Don't know if designs have changed in modern fuel tanks so not sure if this is still applies.
All modern fuel tanks have the pickup above the bottom of the tank to leave about 1/2 gallon of fuel unreachable. This allows water and sediment to settle down there and not be sucked up to find their way into the fuel filter. The tanks are generally designed so that even spirited driving will not slosh sediment up to the pickup. So this is not really something you need to worry about.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Chaetagnath (08-22-2015), dentalprodigy (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #30
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
sorry for bump.

Does the damn light only go up at 2 gallons left?

Mine does...or least seems it does this when I have 10-15 miles left... It should be more, no? I did this today and then pumped 13.07 gallons! My truck has like 50miles left before it dies.
I can put 14+ gallons in my 13.2 gallon tank If I want. Fill the filler neck etc. Not recommended. I always run until the light comes on most of the time filling up @ well over 400 miles. Not worried about sediment etc.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #31
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I first heard about not running the tank on empty from my mechanic. He claims that he gets a lot of fuel pump work when the price of gas is high because people run with lower fuel level hoping for the price to drop or because they cant afford it.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote