follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #29
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspeed View Post
I understand the point you're making. But I think that when people refer to "the Blind Spot" they are generally refering to the adjacent lane not 2 lanes away.
OP specifically mentioned on-ramps, which is one of the places where the blind spot causes problems. I do a lot of driving on interstates, and I run into this issue quite often.

There is also another problem nobody ever discusses, because it's kind of complicated. But what the hell, I've got nothing pressing at the moment.

Peripheral visual perception in human beings is mostly based on motion. Something that is just sitting off beside us blends into the background and becomes "invisible" to our brains. Something that is moving off to the side, however, will grab our attention. We evolved that way to be able to quickly identify threats (such as predators coming at us from the side) and ignore insignificant items in our field of view that don't need us to waste attention on them.

The problem is that we evolved for that to work when we're not moving at 70 mph. When we're moving in a vehicle, our brains perceive another object in our peripheral vision moving at the same speed to be stationary. In fact, it is stationary, relative to our own forward motion. As a stationary object relative to us, our brains will often refuse to let us see it. This is something they teach you early on in pilot training, because planes have actually run right into each other in midair more often than you'd think because they didn't appear to be moving relative to each other, and the pilots couldn't see them even though they were in plain view.

So when a car comes up behind us, and we look at it in our mirrors, we can see it clearly because we're looking directly at it with our forward vision (which is based on more than just motion). When the car moves up beside us, we'll keep noticing it in our peripheral vision as long as it's moving in relation to our own car.

But if someone matches our speed and paces us just to the side and behind us where it's only in our peripheral vision, that car can easily blend into the background and become invisible to our brains even though our eyes can physically see it over there. The problem with the twins is that the position of the b-pillar obscures some of the peripheral vision and reduces what can be seen of the car pacing alongside in the next lane. Not only is your brain wired to ignore that object, but now it's even smaller in your peripheral field of view, telling your brain it's even less important. So even though it's a perceptual blind spot in the driver's brain, it's still a blind spot in the car's design as well. I suspect a lot of us have had surprise moments in this car where we suddenly noticed a car next to us that we hadn't realized was there or had somehow lost track of in traffic. "Whoah, where did YOU come from?"

The reason the Rexspeed mirrors help so much in reducing that blind spot is because, with their wider field of view, they keep the other vehicle in your forward vision longer, where your brain will process it differently. It makes it easier to avoid losing track of another car in traffic when you're dividing your attention between that guy back there and the traffic in front of you and the people on the passenger side also plus this other idiot weaving around cutting people off and oh shit there's a cop and is that bitch really putting on makeup while she's driving? Because of that b-pillar design, the curved mirrors really should have come standard on this car. Even with the Rexspeed mirrors, you can still lose a car into the blind spot in traffic.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:42 AM   #30
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I was waiting for someone to start this crap again. This car does have a huge blind spot, even when the mirrors are adjusted correctly.

The problem is not in the lane next to you. It's in the next lane over. If you go more than one lane width away, it is impossible to adjust away that blind spot.

That means on a freeway with three or more lanes, you can have someone pacing you two lanes over that you can't see. If both of you move to the center lane at the same time, the other car suddenly appears out of nowhere.

The same thing goes for on-ramps, which OP mentioned specifically. In most places in the US, on-ramps come into the highway at an angle. Until you're right alongside traffic, that extra distance over the grass between you and the travel lane puts some of those vehicles right in the blind spot. I've driven a lot of cars over the years, and this is one of the more difficult ones to merge into flowing traffic because of that huge gap in what you can see.

The only way to overcome that huge fucking blind spot that exists in the real world no matter how many people try to imagine that it doesn't is to glance out the window. It only takes a moment to glance back over your shoulder and back to what's in front of you.

ALL THAT paragraph just to defend you don't shoulder check correctly?

You wont even pass basic driver's road test in most of west europe or canada.
(No shoulder check is instant fail, you don't even need to complete the road test. They will just tell you to drive back to their DMV.)

Like I said, fail driver's ed = fail driver's ed.

Last edited by chaoskaze; 07-03-2015 at 12:52 AM.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:18 AM   #31
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
These are my mirrors:

Better than stock mirror situational awareness with them even though they have less than half the surface area of the stock ones. Proper adjustment and convex mirrors FTW...zero blind spots. It's also nice to have full forward visibility with them out of the triangular window portion on the door (where the stock mirror housing actually blocks the view somewhat.) I always shoulder check as well after the mirror glance.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:05 AM   #32
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
ive been driving with proper adjusted side mirrors for years
the rexspeed convex mirrors makes it better. the blue tint is nice especially at night, headlights arent as blinding now
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #33
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
double post
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 AM   #34
extrashaky

Quote:
The only way to overcome that huge fucking blind spot that exists in the real world no matter how many people try to imagine that it doesn't is to glance out the window. It only takes a moment to glance back over your shoulder and back to what's in front of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
ALL THAT paragraph just to defend you don't shoulder check correctly?
ALL THAT post just to demonstrate a lack of reading comprehension skills?

We actually agree that you have to look out the window. But you started that bullshit about having the mirrors adjusted incorrectly. The blind spot exists, regardless of how you adjust your mirrors. No amount of insulting "American driver's ed" (which you clearly know nothing about) changes that.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #35
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
These are my mirrors:

Better than stock mirror situational awareness with them even though they have less than half the surface area of the stock ones.
Too bad they look so ugly.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #36
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I was waiting for someone to start this crap again. This car does have a huge blind spot, even when the mirrors are adjusted correctly.

The problem is not in the lane next to you. It's in the next lane over. If you go more than one lane width away, it is impossible to adjust away that blind spot.

That means on a freeway with three or more lanes, you can have someone pacing you two lanes over that you can't see. If both of you move to the center lane at the same time, the other car suddenly appears out of nowhere.

The same thing goes for on-ramps, which OP mentioned specifically. In most places in the US, on-ramps come into the highway at an angle. Until you're right alongside traffic, that extra distance over the grass between you and the travel lane puts some of those vehicles right in the blind spot. I've driven a lot of cars over the years, and this is one of the more difficult ones to merge into flowing traffic because of that huge gap in what you can see.

I hate to break it to you, but it's illegal in most states to make multiple lane changes at once. I'm not saying that everyone doesn't do it, but you can get pulled over and ticketed.

The proper way is to change one lane, then reassess from that lane before moving to the next.

Also, I may be wrong but I don't think anyone is recommending not doing any physical blind spot check at all.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #37
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I hate to break it to you, but it's illegal in most states to make multiple lane changes at once.
I don't mind breaking it to you that I said nothing whatsoever about multiple lane changes. Why are you bringing up something nobody has mentioned?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #38
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
How f-ing hard is a head check? I'm a normal sized primate with a Marine Corps modified skeletal system and even I can take a look over my left shoulder to clear my lane without killing myself or others. Perhaps that comes from riding on two wheels as well, but it's not really that hard.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #39
slim blanco

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i'm usually good with just the shoulder check...the passenger side kind of sucks to see out of haha, but i've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me as much anymore. i also got the rexpeed side mirrors and a convex broadway interior rear view. the mirrors help a lot, but i always shoulder check anyway.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #40
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
How f-ing hard is a head check?
Who said it was hard? Seems to me that most if not all of the people who have responded to this thread have said nothing of the sort.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #41
jbetanc

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
these work, 9 dollars at pep boys
Attached Images

jbetanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #42
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
just drive really fast and nobody will be in your blind spot
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frs10 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-06-2015), Teseo (07-13-2015)