follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #15
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
As far as I recall, it's really salt that's the biggest issue. and partially (entirely?) due to the anodized aluminum caliper (vs painted/coated?). I'm not sure if other road conditions may also cause AP to be less idea for a daily.
In reality, it doesn't matter what the finish is, salt can find its way into anything and make itself a catalyst for material transfer. If it's not the caliper face itself, it'll be something else that will take some exposure.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-25-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #16
FocalX100

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't know if this is the right place, but would a nickel plated caliper hold up better than an anodized one? Is cost the only reason not to do that?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeg86 View Post
@JRitt my vehicle is primarily street driven, but does see occasional track duty. From my understanding, the AP kits do not fair well in daily driven conditions. Is this true? That's the only thing keeping me from purchasing an AP kit.
I went with stoptechs mostly because my car is street driven with the occasional track event. I was concerned that with the AP kit I would forever have loud brakes (see thread about this here) which being honest, would cause me to not want to drive my BRZ on the street. They are constantly tearing up the roads around me and it's very dusty. I don't drive my car in the winter but I will drive it late into the fall and early spring. The dust boots in the stoptechs don't seem to be a huge track liability like JRitt makes it out to be. They haven't been any issues for me but do look around. JRitt makes the exact same stoptech vs. essex speech on every forum I've come across. I'm sure either would be a great piece of kit but I just don't see enough benefit (~6lb less weight) from the sprint kit to pick that over a quiet, much more street friendly stoptech kit. I'm all about weight loss too but the trade offs don't seem worth it. I don't want to spend $400 on pads just to find something that'll be quiet on the street for a short amount of time before I have to rebed them. I don't want to rebuild them every year because they are internally caked with dirt.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-25-2015), dem00n (03-21-2015), erbaker67 (05-15-2015), gabeg86 (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
gabeg86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
I went with stoptechs mostly because my car is street driven with the occasional track event. I was concerned that with the AP kit I would forever have loud brakes (see thread about this here) which being honest, would cause me to not want to drive my BRZ on the street. They are constantly tearing up the roads around me and it's very dusty. I don't drive my car in the winter but I will drive it late into the fall and early spring. The dust boots in the stoptechs don't seem to be a huge track liability like JRitt makes it out to be. They haven't been any issues for me but do look around. JRitt makes the exact same stoptech vs. essex speech on every forum I've come across. I'm sure either would be a great piece of kit but I just don't see enough benefit (~6lb less weight) from the sprint kit to pick that over a quiet, much more street friendly stoptech kit. I'm all about weight loss too but the trade offs don't seem worth it. I don't want to spend $400 on pads just to find something that'll be quiet on the street for a short amount of time before I have to rebed them. I don't want to rebuild them every year because they are internally caked with dirt.
That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks! I am leaning heavily on the Stoptech kit for the reasons you mentioned. Being more street friendly means more to me than being more track oriented as it is street driven 95% of the time.
Perrin (LWCP) - Blox (shift knob) - HID Powerhouse (LED's and HID's) - Eibach (sportlines) - Muteki (lugs) - SPL (LCA's) - Rays Engineering (57dr's) - Dunlop Direzza ZII (tires) - Greddy (Evo3) - Full Race (turbo kit) - Ecutek (tuned)
The Following User Says Thank You to gabeg86 For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-25-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #19
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Any feedback from those that have used these heavily on the track?

For the price difference between these and street friendly AP kit and the brake pad price difference, these StopTechs look like the better way to go (I'm not interested in the Essex Sprint/Endurance kits for the reasons mentioned above).

Thanks
Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #20
erbaker67

Drives: 2015 FRS RS1, 93 Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the info! Looks like Ill go with Stoptech.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
Sleepless

Just ordered mine from the SpeedFactory
Old 05-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #22
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd love to see if the StopTech dust boot survive track use.
I would assume StopTech would know by now that they need heat resistant dust boot.
I have tracked my porsche heavily and the dust boot survived. I say survived, not look like new
I think AP racing is better for the track but resale value of the stoptech is guaranteed to be easier.
I will certainly end up with the Essex because I only track the car but I like the reputable stop tech brand. many of my friend track stop tech on the track and are very happy with them.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
I'd love to see if the StopTech dust boot survive track use.
I would assume StopTech would know by now that they need heat resistant dust boot.
I have tracked my porsche heavily and the dust boot survived. I say survived, not look like new
I think AP racing is better for the track but resale value of the stoptech is guaranteed to be easier.
I will certainly end up with the Essex because I only track the car but I like the reputable stop tech brand. many of my friend track stop tech on the track and are very happy with them.
I'm fan of Stoptech and their products. We put the ST-60 kit on a friend's 500whp 135i, and in a day at Laguna he melted the dust seals. That being said, Laguna is know to be a very hard track on brakes. The next time out at thunderhill, he had no issues. It's going to be very car/driver/track/pad dependent as well. I've got another guy with an e46 m3 on a Stoptech kit as well with no dust seal issues, and a couple days at Laguna Seca.

I think the AP sprint/endurance kit is a better choice for the track still, but for a dual duty car, I think the Stoptech kit is a great option that comes in at a nice price point.

Last edited by The Racers Line; 05-22-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #24
Sleepless

Installed the kit from @FT-86 SpeedFactory yesterday and discovered that the @Touge Factory brake cooling backing plate is compatible ! Yay!

Pedal feel is light years better than stock.

Next track event is Thursday.

I'll be sticking with Carbotech XP12s since I like them and they cost the same for ST calipers as stock. I noticed that several brake compound companies charge a lot more for the ST caliper vs stock; in some cases almost double!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sleepless; 06-07-2015 at 02:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleepless For This Useful Post:
Pat (06-07-2015), Touge Factory (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #25
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Any feedback from those that have used these heavily on the track?

For the price difference between these and street friendly AP kit and the brake pad price difference, these StopTechs look like the better way to go (I'm not interested in the Essex Sprint/Endurance kits for the reasons mentioned above).

Thanks
We've been tracking our ST-40s on both our Project BRZ as well as our Spec86 Cup car. Very good results. On the Spec86 Cup car we have used the Hawk HP+ pads and have been happy with the bite they provide on track. On the Project BRZ since it's a Dual purpose as opposed to the Spec86 Cup car the Stoptech Street Performance pads that came with the kit are being used. Initial bit on them in not as good on track but due to the larger than stock pads they work great on track and provide low dusting and no noise on the street.

These will likely become the Spec Brake kit for the Spec86 Cup Road Race Series.

-mike
Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #26
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
I have the Stoptech BBK too. Not a hardcore track guy, have only done 1 track day with them. My car is boosted, ran it on map 1, 380 WHP.

I used the Street Performance pads and they behaved great. They did not fade at all, great pedal feel, one of the sessions my instructor drove the car harder than me and love the brake feel.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #27
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Legit question, how come melting the dust boot on these is a concern, yet with other things I've tracked with stock calipers the OEM dust boots aren't a problem?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Legit question, how come melting the dust boot on these is a concern, yet with other things I've tracked with stock calipers the OEM dust boots aren't a problem?
Some people take their car to the track and work the brakes hard enough that it's a concern. Those peope like to make it seem that anyone driving the car faster than my grandmother will also melt dust boots.

There are advantageous and disadvantageous to each kit, as well as subjective conerns over appearance. Buy what works for you.

Closed Thread