follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #295
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have a question for the OFT users out there. I am trying to flash my new BRZ and once it reads the tune it says "Mode file not found" or something like that and it cannot procede. From what i have read this happens when the stock tune isnt 100% stock but my BRZ is a factory fresh 2015....is the new stock tune just not recognized. What is the best way to flash going forward?

Online says delete some database on OFT and then download and apply the newest tune from OFT website but i dont want to do this if it isnt necessary.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #296
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
Random question:

Does the stock fuel system support enough flow to provide fueling for the ESC on E85 with no change to the port injectors or pump(s)?
Yes. There isn't much headroom above that though.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #297
xsnapshot
Fast enough

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Yes. There isn't much headroom above that though.
Good to know! Right now I'm not looking to increase power any more than the ESC + E85 + headers + full exhaust. I think at that level, the car will be fast enough for me.

Of course that is what I say now....
xsnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #298
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
Good to know! Right now I'm not looking to increase power any more than the ESC + E85 + headers + full exhaust. I think at that level, the car will be fast enough for me.

Of course that is what I say now....
That should get you right around 230 to 240 hp. From stock of 170whp thats a 35 to 40 percent increase in power....this makes a huge difference on gears 1 through 4.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #299
yamsta
daGangsta

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
So been driving around for a few days now and I'm really enjoying the power delivery of the system. Still amazed how such an easy install can produce so much power! One thing I added to the "other notes" section of my initial review above was that when you arm the system you'll hear the 3 beeps (2 beeps quickly followed by 1 more beep later) as mentioned in the install video. Additionally you'll hear another 5 beeps. I thought something was wrong with my unit but apparently this is normal and just signifies the system waiting for boost input according to Rob. After that it waits quietly .

What does concern me is the longevity of the system. How long can we expect the dump batteries to last since they seem to be heavily discharging and charging so quickly? Also, is there any extra strain on the alternator or other engine parts?
yamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #300
Trunksse

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
To those guys that currently have the ESC. Have you experienced any problems in heavy raining? Have you done anything extra to your components or wires to protect from any water or dampness? Since it deals with electricity, I am just curious how this would hold up in a place that would rain a lot and if there would be any extra steps that should be taken.
Trunksse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #301
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsta View Post
So been driving around for a few days now and I'm really enjoying the power delivery of the system. Still amazed how such an easy install can produce so much power! One thing I added to the "other notes" section of my initial review above was that when you arm the system you'll hear the 3 beeps (2 beeps quickly followed by 1 more beep later) as mentioned in the install video. Additionally you'll hear another 5 beeps. I thought something was wrong with my unit but apparently this is normal and just signifies the system waiting for boost input according to Rob. After that it waits quietly .

What does concern me is the longevity of the system. How long can we expect the dump batteries to last since they seem to be heavily discharging and charging so quickly? Also, is there any extra strain on the alternator or other engine parts?

I had one set of batteries for over a year and had no issues. I'm on the new setup now for about 6 months and again I've had no issues.

I'm not worried about it.

As for the motor, etc: I've been using the system for almost two years and there has been no degrade in quality for motor. Now I did have Rob check it out 7 months ago with the upgrade but he said everything looked awesome.

As for the rain question above:

When it has rained here I haven't had issues but then again I'm in California...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
yamsta (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #302
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I never had an issue at all with rain when I had it. I live in Ohio and we get a decent amount of rain.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #303
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunksse View Post
To those guys that currently have the ESC. Have you experienced any problems in heavy raining? Have you done anything extra to your components or wires to protect from any water or dampness? Since it deals with electricity, I am just curious how this would hold up in a place that would rain a lot and if there would be any extra steps that should be taken.
I have driven in many heavy rain and extreme cold (-20C) and my system has had no problems.

Rob has been running the same powersonic dump packs in his test vehicle for over 2 years.

I am nearing 2 years on my powersonics and they are still going strong. For the powersonics at about 200 bucks i wouldn't be upset if i had to replace them after 3 or 4 years.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #304
yamsta
daGangsta

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Garage
How much is the aux charger and how/where can I order from? Seems like from @Sojhinn's video his dump packs are charging quite a bit faster compared to the stock setup!
yamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #305
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsta View Post
How much is the aux charger and how/where can I order from? Seems like from @Sojhinn's video his dump packs are charging quite a bit faster compared to the stock setup!
I believe it's $400. PM/email Rob for details.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:38 AM   #306
dtek

Drives: 86 A00I
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
New concern for me... Today I went for a drive and after the usual warm up time I found a chance to utilise some boost. Only there was no familiar 'urgency' and it all felt very sedate.

Now I can't comment on voltmeter display because mine bit the dust back in January and I'm waiting on a replacement so I've not had any chance to monitor if the batt's have become problematic in a gradual or sudden way.

I do recall that only 5 days ago I used the ESC in a 2nd gear overtake and it felt strong.

The 'suck on the vacuum hose' trick definitely makes the compressor spool up. I let it idle and pressed the activation switch behind accel, I heard it spool up and almost bogged/stalled the engine from it's idle.

So on my way home I took some logs and did my best to replicate max boost scenarios: 2nd/3rd gear and WOT around 2500-3000rpm. The live display on the OFT indicated it struggling to get to positive boost numbers but it was hard to glance while WOT.

Logs are here, first one is from Dec 2014 when all was running well (max boost 3.8psi):
http://datazap.me/u/dtek/dec2014?log=0&data=1-13

And today's best log is this one (max boost 0.44psi):
http://datazap.me/u/dtek/log3?log=0&data=1-14

Any suggestions on what to check next? There's no obvious whistle or unusual noise that might suggest air leaking between ESC and throttle body. All cables seem to be in good condition from a quick look in fading light.
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #307
fenton

Looks like maybe your throttle switch might have been pushed out of reach of the pedal or the switch has come disconnected.

If you shut the car off but leave the ESC turned on and go WOT do you get boost?

I have had my foot catch the switch once and it caused my engagement point to be pushed out past 100% so it never fully turned on....This looks to be the case for you.

Let us know,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
New concern for me... Today I went for a drive and after the usual warm up time I found a chance to utilise some boost. Only there was no familiar 'urgency' and it all felt very sedate.

Now I can't comment on voltmeter display because mine bit the dust back in January and I'm waiting on a replacement so I've not had any chance to monitor if the batt's have become problematic in a gradual or sudden way.

I do recall that only 5 days ago I used the ESC in a 2nd gear overtake and it felt strong.

The 'suck on the vacuum hose' trick definitely makes the compressor spool up. I let it idle and pressed the activation switch behind accel, I heard it spool up and almost bogged/stalled the engine from it's idle.

So on my way home I took some logs and did my best to replicate max boost scenarios: 2nd/3rd gear and WOT around 2500-3000rpm. The live display on the OFT indicated it struggling to get to positive boost numbers but it was hard to glance while WOT.

Logs are here, first one is from Dec 2014 when all was running well (max boost 3.8psi):
http://datazap.me/u/dtek/dec2014?log=0&data=1-13

And today's best log is this one (max boost 0.44psi):
http://datazap.me/u/dtek/log3?log=0&data=1-14

Any suggestions on what to check next? There's no obvious whistle or unusual noise that might suggest air leaking between ESC and throttle body. All cables seem to be in good condition from a quick look in fading light.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #308
dtek

Drives: 86 A00I
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Looks like maybe your throttle switch might have been pushed out of reach of the pedal or the switch has come disconnected.

If you shut the car off but leave the ESC turned on and go WOT do you get boost?
I can clearly hear the click of the switch on engagement point (while driving) – it's at about 60-70% position in the pedal travel. If the car is on but engine not running, I can push accel to the point of the click and yes I hear the compressor come on. I'll contact Rob for further tech input, thanks though Fenton!
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote