follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #267
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
LOL! Well ok then, I guess I live in a bubble. Randy Pobst, and MANY other professional and semi-professional drivers live in that same bubble, so I'm ok with that.
Yet none of them bought one. If someone with the means believes this car is all that they say it is, yet passes on it that says a lot.

Jeremy Clarkson loved the Ford GT so much he bought one.

Hammon goes on and on about Porsche's a bought one.

Chris Harris buys about every car he falls in love with.

Leno, Walker, Farrah.... all those who talk about how fantastic a car is usually ends up with an example of one when the praise it as high as those other professional drivers and automotive journalist did.

The car is good, it just isn't that great.

I finally had a chance to drive it on a race track (VIR Patriot), and I can say that is the only place I've driven that car where it felt it belonged.

It's a boring daily, relatively mediocre for auto-x, and unenthusiastic on mountain roads. Yet, on a race track it does come alive and you get the feeling that it's what the engineers intention was.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #268
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jond63 View Post
Priceless!!! Are you a psychologist too?

If you really believe this, then maybe you are the one who is not getting it?

people have stated in this thread that the other sports cars they have owned were too fast for them, and people have also stated that this car has too much power for them.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #269
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
Yet none of them bought one. If someone with the means believes this car is all that they say it is, yet passes on it that says a lot.

Jeremy Clarkson loved the Ford GT so much he bought one.

Hammon goes on and on about Porsche's a bought one.

Chris Harris buys about every car he falls in love with.

Leno, Walker, Farrah.... all those who talk about how fantastic a car is usually ends up with an example of one when the praise it as high as those other professional drivers and automotive journalist did.

The car is good, it just isn't that great.

I finally had a chance to drive it on a race track (VIR Patriot), and I can say that is the only place I've driven that car where it felt it belonged.

It's a boring daily, relatively mediocre for auto-x, and unenthusiastic on mountain roads. Yet, on a race track it does come alive and you get the feeling that it's what the engineers intention was.
I certainly get your point - all of the folks you listed above have income sufficient for them to purchase the absolute best in their eyes. As I mentioned in a few posts up - for me, the FR-S is the ultimate compromise vehicle for my purposes: it's a sports car, it's an 'inexpensive' train car, it's a kid hauler, it's a family road trip car (< 2 hour distance), it's a hoot to drive.

Would I like more power? Sure why not, but I personally don't miss it - I'd rather lose a little power to gain everything the FR-S has to offer at its price point. I certainly wouldn't call others 'foolish' because they want more power, and conversely I don't get why people call me 'foolish' for liking a car that has 200hp. I could just as easily say that people who like powerful track cars need power to cover up their lack of driving skills - but I won't because that's a stereotype (though true in some cases).

Different strokes for sure - Randy Pobst can afford whatever car he wants, so why would he buy a compromise car like the FR-S when he could have something like a 911 GT3? BUT that doesn't mean he's being disingenuous by saying that he thinks the FR-S/BRZ should have been a contender for 'best drivers car'. I applaud Subaru/Toyota for producing this car.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (05-13-2015), P86RAVES (05-13-2015), Subscap (05-13-2015), tinma (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #270
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
people have stated in this thread that the other sports cars they have owned were too fast for them, and people have also stated that this car has too much power for them.
I don't think I read precisely that anywhere. It seems you are trying to read into other people's posts and misconstrue them to support your myopic view of the world. I'd guess you're <30 years old if I had to.

Honestly, you've spouted so much nonsense that I'm extremely happy that your choice to not seek remedy or warranty repairs gives you so much displeasure and unhappiness. I will continue to feed off your tears every time you come to a stop light and get smoked by any V6 with shittier gearing and MPG.

I lawl at the stop light straight-line racer wanabee that bought an FRS.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #271
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I understand and actually agree with both sides of the discussion.

This car is great and I really can't picture myself driving any other NEW car besides a cayman or other much more expensive cars. If you really enjoy the driving feel and you drive the twins back to back with other heavier higher hp cars you know if this car is right for you. For me there was no contest. I put handling/driving feel above all else in my car purchasing decision.

However, lets all not kid ourselves about the FA20. The engine is a POS hand downs the worst part about this car. This car should/would be heralded by everyone if it wasn't for this crappy engine. Yes, it really isn't that bad (decent mpg, decently reliable, etc..), but compared the the rest of the car and its chassis (pretty much perfect for the given cost) the engine is pretty fucken bad.

Total power output isn't even the real problem I have with the engine. The real problem is the torque dip (makes the engine feel anemic), the shitty noises it makes (makes revving the engine out less desirable), and its reliability only being decent (CELs, direct injection failure, etc..).

It might sound harsh, but like I said earlier I can't think of any other car I would rather drive even with my opinions about the engine. If they ever offer a different engine, especially if its a Toyota developed engine I will be first in line to trade in my car for the new one.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #272
Trackrat86

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Out of curiosity

Quote:
it has nothing to do with being a street racer, I have tracked other cars and this car in stock trim isn't up to the task for me to even bother tracking. I wish I lived in this bubble where the car was fast enough for me, but the truth is I live in the real world and can be honest about this car and its lack of power. this whole spirit of driving thing is something you all bought into and maybe its because you haven't owned any other performance type cars in the past or the ones you've owned were too much for you.
What car under $40,000 would you consider worthy of your hard earned dollars?
Trackrat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #273
Cuchullain

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
...but compared the the rest of the car...
This I think is the key to why so many say the car is underpowered. I feel the car is pretty damn good for the price. The handling and chassis are excellent, the feedback is more than adequate, and all that, but a lot of people want to push the car harder. The way most people do that is with their right foot. The engine certainly makes you work the car harder to get the most out of it, I'll say that. More power is an easy button, but from the OEM it hikes up the price substantially. At this price point I don't have any problems with it. It might help that I came from a baseline Impreza which had less crank power delivered to all four wheels

Myself, I am very satisfied with the car. It's exactly what I wanted when I bought the car, and more practical to boot. Lately though I've been itching for a smaller, less practical car. Seems like the only cars in the same-ish or lower price bracket that are smaller are the Miata, a used MR2, maybe a 2.5RS coupe if I could find one that isn't beat to hell... I think what I really want is a Lotus, but those are a bit out of the price range since I'd have to get a beater for winters and such.
Cuchullain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #274
evomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
I don't think I read precisely that anywhere. It seems you are trying to read into other people's posts and misconstrue them to support your myopic view of the world. I'd guess you're <30 years old if I had to.

Honestly, you've spouted so much nonsense that I'm extremely happy that your choice to not seek remedy or warranty repairs gives you so much displeasure and unhappiness. I will continue to feed off your tears every time you come to a stop light and get smoked by any V6 with shittier gearing and MPG.

I lawl at the stop light straight-line racer wanabee that bought an FRS.
I'm over 30 and I'm not even talking stop light straight line stuff, im talking spirited back road driving where this car gets left behind by s2000's. I lnownitll now be about the driver but the same thing happens when we switch cars, if this car had 50 more hp I honestly think I'd be happy with it, there is not reason it shouldn't have come with that type of power. And the reason none of the major issues are fixed is because they cannot figure out my trans noise and I want that fixed before everything, I honestly would probably lemon law it if putting it back to stock wasn't such a headache and I didn't have a ton of parts id lose tons of money on.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #275
evomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrat86 View Post
What car under $40,000 would you consider worthy of your hard earned dollars?
I should have bought a used cayman but when I drove this car I thought oh it's not so bad I can fix the power and be happy, then the list of issues piled up and then it just gets to you.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #276
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I should have bought a used cayman but when I drove this car I thought oh it's not so bad I can fix the power and be happy, then the list of issues piled up and then it just gets to you.
Hmm sounds like you've just had some bad luck on top of the other issues, sorry to hear that. So far mine has been pretty good, no problems so far. Adding a supercharger would probably help with your need for power - it's too bad you just have a bad taste in your mouth.

Regarding the sound of the car (comments made by another poster) - you know I always thought the same thing until I put a Greddy SP Elite on my car. Rest of exhaust is stock, and I'm starting to really kind of like the exhaust note! It's no Porsche flat 6 mind you, but the Greddy really made a huge difference in the engine tone while not getting too crazy. I almost think Subaru/Toyota designed this car specifically to be an aftermarket platform....
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #277
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Am I the only one here who likes this car? I absolutely love mine. I feel it's a snub to all those high horsepower snobs who think numbers mean everything. Personally, I'd drive the stinking wheels off of an old Mini or an old 86 because to me, driving my car isn't an extension or example of the size of my junk. I’ve nothing to prove to anyone on the street. Driving - to me - is FUN. Or at least is should be. This car takes a mundane task as trivial as going to the market and makes it a fun and delightful experience. Try getting that from a Corolla or a Civic or a Mustang (I’d say Ferrari, but… I’m pretty sure that’s up there on the fun-to-drive scale). It pains me to read all the negativity being posted here by the owners of our cars. Yes, it won't win many stoplight romps. Yes, it's not the most "refined" or quiet car. Yes, it has a quirky boxer engine. Yes, it squeaks and rattles and jiggles oddly sometimes. Some of you will (and do) say those are not qualities you want in a car. I say to you: sell the damned thing already and go get your… Porsche or whatever it is you want. Sell it so someone can appreciate the car for what it is, or rather what it HAS. It has something that, in my humblest of opinions, has been long forgotten in the automobile manufacturing world. SOUL. It has that elusive, hard to define quality about it and even though it makes funny noises and idles like a tractor, I just don’t care. Why? Because it makes me happy. I like happy. To those of you who just can’t get over getting outran by a minivan or a Mustang from the stoplight near your local Wal-Mart (who cares!) or being out cornered by 10 year old sports cars on back roads; thank you for at least giving our car and our little community a try. Thank you. Now, please PLEASE! move along and quit filling our forums with your complaining…
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." ~ J.Clarkson
REAV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to REAV3R For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (05-14-2015), NLSP (05-14-2015), paros28 (05-14-2015), Romanov (05-14-2015), soulreapersteve (05-14-2015), sprintertrueno86 (05-14-2015), strat61caster (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 03:32 AM   #278
abraxis

Drives: many
Quote:
I'm over 30 and I'm not even talking stop light straight line stuff, im talking spirited back road driving where this car gets left behind by s2000's. I lnownitll now be about the driver but the same thing happens when we switch cars, if this car had 50 more hp I honestly think I'd be happy with it, there is not reason it shouldn't have come with that type of power. And the reason none of the major issues are fixed is because they cannot figure out my trans noise and I want that fixed before everything, I honestly would probably lemon law it if putting it back to stock wasn't such a headache and I didn't have a ton of parts id lose tons of money on.
Well I have beaten S2000s on back roads with my FRS but I do know I was the better driver in those cases. They had stickier rubber than my Prius tires but the S2000 isn't unbeatable or perfect (at it's notably higher price of entry even if you don't adjust for inflation). That's just as much a myth as anything you've been whining about. Once again, a comparison to a more expensive car that's not even in production.

There actually is a reason they couldn't give it 250hp. It was 2013, not 1999 and the emissions and mileage targets wouldn't allow for it. Same for the choice in gear ratios which is why some mini-vans might give you a run for the $$. Go compare all the figures and maybe you'll finally figure it out so you can make more refined statements and assessments.

So you want to keep driving around with a trans noise before you let them fix your peeling steering wheel? I suppose that rusting chassis can wait too? Find that hard to believe...among other things.

Oh yeah, Porsches have no issues either...
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (05-14-2015), Romanov (05-14-2015), strat61caster (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 05:21 AM   #279
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAV3R View Post

Am I the only one here who likes this car? I absolutely love mine. I feel it's a snub to all those high horsepower snobs who think numbers mean everything. Personally, I'd drive the stinking wheels off of an old Mini or an old 86 because to me, driving my car isn't an extension or example of the size of my junk. I’ve nothing to prove to anyone on the street. Driving - to me - is FUN. Or at least is should be. This car takes a mundane task as trivial as going to the market and makes it a fun and delightful experience. Try getting that from a Corolla or a Civic or a Mustang (I’d say Ferrari, but… I’m pretty sure that’s up there on the fun-to-drive scale). It pains me to read all the negativity being posted here by the owners of our cars. Yes, it won't win many stoplight romps. Yes, it's not the most "refined" or quiet car. Yes, it has a quirky boxer engine. Yes, it squeaks and rattles and jiggles oddly sometimes. Some of you will (and do) say those are not qualities you want in a car. I say to you: sell the damned thing already and go get your… Porsche or whatever it is you want. Sell it so someone can appreciate the car for what it is, or rather what it HAS. It has something that, in my humblest of opinions, has been long forgotten in the automobile manufacturing world. SOUL. It has that elusive, hard to define quality about it and even though it makes funny noises and idles like a tractor, I just don’t care. Why? Because it makes me happy. I like happy. To those of you who just can’t get over getting outran by a minivan or a Mustang from the stoplight near your local Wal-Mart (who cares!) or being out cornered by 10 year old sports cars on back roads; thank you for at least giving our car and our little community a try. Thank you. Now, please PLEASE! move along and quit filling our forums with your complaining…
best post in the thread.

what i dont get is how people are disappointed in the car AFTER taking it for a test drive lol. did you guys just take a 5 minute stroll around the block and then go and sign the papers? My salesman showed me the local backroads, how to turn off the traction system, and after 15 minutes i was sold.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #280
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAV3R View Post

I say to you: sell the damned thing already and go get your… Porsche or whatever it is you want. Sell it so someone can appreciate the car for what it is, or rather what it HAS.
To this point (in my area DFW - Texas) I tried to sell it.

Did not have a single person interested in looking at it even after I lowered the price.

I traded it to the dealer yesterday. They were not able to find a single Toyota/Scion dealer that wanted the car. Claimed high stock and low demand.

I was not going to budge on my lowest acceptable trade value so they worked for over an hour and found a wholesaler who would buy it.

My car was in pristine condition (I treat my cars like children) with a clean history and less than 30k miles so still under factory warranty.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote