follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #29
Amaya

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Then, after you reach about 130 mph, I'll betcha you won't want to go any faster in this car
In a straight line (without a strong crosswind) the car feels fine to me even when topped out. But the car doesn't feel very confident taking a curve at 130+ as there's way to much body roll and what feels like unstable aero
Old 04-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #30
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just swap the analg spedometer with one with high numbers (at least 200mph) and brag about
how fast the car is.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #31
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,252 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
You are probably gonna need better oil coolers, big brake kit, coilovers to lower the car, better tires, forged wheels. then pray the motor doesn't blow with repeated pulls.
Oil coolers? Sure, it'd be a good idea.
BBK? Not really. Unless he plans on stopping very quickly from top speed, which is not a good idea as it would unsettle the balance of the car. Not to mention it's unlikely he'd need to if he's smart about it.
Better tires? Do you know what tires he has? How can you say he needs anything better?
Forged wheels? Totally unnecessary.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #32
RD1428

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Agreed ^ forged wheels? Lol
RD1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #33
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
not sure what he's going for here. if want to bump the top speed to 150mph.. .then yeah you don't need to change much.

If you are talking about maxing out the stock gearing limit and shoot for 170-200mph or more. Then yeah you are gonna need way better brakes that can handle those sort of stops from 180 to 70mph over and over without over heating. I doubt the stock brakes could handle one hard 180-0mph test without cooking themselves.

Stock tires are rated to 165ish.. so if you plan on doing more than that you are definitely going to want to swap tires with a higher rating.

Wheels.Well theres a reason all pro racing teams and higher end cars use forged wheels made by Rays (volk, gram light), BBS, Enkei, HRE. I understand not everyone wants to shell out 4k+ for wheels but you get what you pay for. The cheapo wheels you get off tire rack for 250/wheel liekly have no certification or R&D behind them. no structural engineering.

Again if all your shooting for is like 10-20mph increase in top end. i wouldn't worry about any of this.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 AM   #34
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
6th gear maxes out at 180-ish. Once you have enough power to get to the top of 6th with good turbo kit... then you can think about contacting dodson or shep trans and they can make you a custom tranny and new rear end that will handle whatever you can throw at it.

You are probably gonna need better oil coolers, big brake kit, coilovers to lower the car, better tires, forged wheels. then pray the motor doesn't blow with repeated pulls.
Haha I plan on doing forged internals and tranny and all that good stuff. I already have forged wheels and a good set of michilin pilot as3s.. I just need my turbo and then building my motor from there. Custom trans can be made though huh? They hold up well?
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 AM   #35
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
To increase top speed in this car, you might as well just spend money on a Mustang GT or a Camaro SS at the price point the FR-S/BRZ is. You can hit 145 mph 3-4 times before the FR-S does once without FI.

If you see some of the drag videos of the GT86 on the track running 10's, they barely can keep control of the car towards the end. It's so light.
I wanted a bullet, I understand it would be cheaper to simply buy a car a car with more power, but simply put, money is not an issue. I work hard to throw parts in my car and I'm tired of people shitting on the frs. Hell I might even do an awd conversion just for shits and giggles so I can have better control of the power.

Thank you for your input, but I wasn't asking how much it would be, I asked for guidance on how to get there. Also the mustang and camaro are too damn heavy. I will take 2700 lbs soaking wet as opposed to a sub 3800 lb boat.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:30 AM   #36
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
OP, power and aero dynamics hold the stock car back from a higher top speed not the gearing. If you are turbo however, a taller final drive may help you achieve a higher top speed.
Thanks for a legitimate answer..

I have coilovers and I'm getting turbo soon.. maybe a front splitter/rear diffuser too? Is power and aerodynamics seriously the only thing holding the car back?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 AM   #37
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Oil coolers? Sure, it'd be a good idea.
BBK? Not really. Unless he plans on stopping very quickly from top speed, which is not a good idea as it would unsettle the balance of the car. Not to mention it's unlikely he'd need to if he's smart about it.
Better tires? Do you know what tires he has? How can you say he needs anything better?
Forged wheels? Totally unnecessary.
I do actually plan on getting all of the things he mentioned regardless.. I do already have coils, forged wheels, and some very grippy michilin pilot as3s. I'm gonna get a bbk simply for the sake of it will be very nice to have some nice bite in the event I need to do quick stopping.. drivers on i5 just love to slam on brakes.. and deer are prevalent here in WA
Old 04-28-2015, 02:51 AM   #38
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
Thanks for a legitimate answer..

I have coilovers and I'm getting turbo soon.. maybe a front splitter/rear diffuser too? Is power and aerodynamics seriously the only thing holding the car back?
Since you are going turbo, make as much power as you can then gear it for the speed you want.

Aerodynamically, I am no engineer but I would be looking at a functional splitter, the JDM underbody panels and a Drivaway Labs V1 diffuser at a minimum. If money is not a concern a complete customer and properly designed flat undertray going from splitter to diffuser would be worth looking at as it will reduce lift and not create as much drag as a wing on the boot. If you do some searching on the forum there are threads about aero dynamics from far more knowledgable people than me. A vented hood is probably a good idea too.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #39
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I wanted a bullet, I understand it would be cheaper to simply buy a car a car with more power, but simply put, money is not an issue. I work hard to throw parts in my car and I'm tired of people shitting on the frs. Hell I might even do an awd conversion just for shits and giggles so I can have better control of the power.

Thank you for your input, but I wasn't asking how much it would be, I asked for guidance on how to get there. Also the mustang and camaro are too damn heavy. I will take 2700 lbs soaking wet as opposed to a sub 3800 lb boat.
Do an LS swap then.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #40
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,252 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I do actually plan on getting all of the things he mentioned regardless.. I do already have coils, forged wheels, and some very grippy michilin pilot as3s. I'm gonna get a bbk simply for the sake of it will be very nice to have some nice bite in the event I need to do quick stopping.. drivers on i5 just love to slam on brakes.. and deer are prevalent here in WA
If you are concerned about stopping quickly, replacing your all season tires with summer tires (weather dependent) will do much more to decrease stopping distances than a BBK will. That, and get some better pads.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #41
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
Do an LS swap then.
I'm one of those purist ***gots who wants to keep the flat 4 banger and just build it,but quite honestly I might end up going that route hahah
Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #42
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Since you are going turbo, make as much power as you can then gear it for the speed you want.

Aerodynamically, I am no engineer but I would be looking at a functional splitter, the JDM underbody panels and a Drivaway Labs V1 diffuser at a minimum. If money is not a concern a complete customer and properly designed flat undertray going from splitter to diffuser would be worth looking at as it will reduce lift and not create as much drag as a wing on the boot. If you do some searching on the forum there are threads about aero dynamics from far more knowledgable people than me. A vented hood is probably a good idea too.
Sounds good man. I'll do some researching. That one piece style diffuser really sounds like a great idea, my only worry is I have the tomei 80r and the pipes in the front hang a tad low.. I'll figure something out though! Thanks again man!
The Following User Says Thank You to WallsAndFoundations For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (04-28-2015)