follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #267
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
I just placed an order for a set of RE-71Rs. Anybody need a gently used set of 245/40/17 RS3v2s. Only 4 autocross runs on them and about 200 street miles.
The Hankooks had a good showing in STX at Crows last weekend. Took first and fourth, although the fastest scratch time on Sunday was on Bridgestones.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #268
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah could be surface dependent since Crows is concrete. Still early but given people I know who have used both on asphalt say it is fairly clear which is faster. I am tempted to keep the RS3s for track stuff, but jut sold my other set of 17x9s.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #269
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
The Hankooks had a good showing in STX at Crows last weekend. Took first and fourth, although the fastest scratch time on Sunday was on Bridgestones.
Talking to people like Mark Scroggs (GS champion at Lincoln last year) who have tested the RS3 and the RE71R at Crows Landing, they're sticking with the RE71R.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #270
Kostamojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
Talking to people like Mark Scroggs (GS champion at Lincoln last year) who have tested the RS3 and the RE71R at Crows Landing, they're sticking with the RE71R.
Ya if you are buying new tires, go for the RE71R'S but if you still have the hankooks might as well keep them until they wear out.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #271
loading_please_wait

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm a novice Autocross Driver. I've only participated in 5 events, and I'd like to upgrade my tires.

This is my daily driver and I don't want to buy a second set of rims and tires for weekend events at this moment.

I plan to autocross every month to every other month, and I was considering the all around tire Michelin PSS vs an extreme performance tires like the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs or Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2).

Eventually I want to do PDX, but by then I'd probably want a second set of rims and tires for that and autocross.

I live in Florida and we get drenched in rain many times in the year, so for the mean time, I'm thinking about the Michelin PSS. On the other hand, a few of the guys I met with the FR-S or BRZ have extreme performance tires as their daily driver tire, and they haven't had many complaints. Am I being too worried?
loading_please_wait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #272
Traum

Drives: Honda POS
Given the frequency of your autox participation, and your need to have good wet handling capability, there probably isn't too many other options available that could top the Michelin PSS. The tire will not be as good as the top grade extreme performance tires (RE-71R, Z2**, R-S3v2, Rival S, etc.), but it will come close enough. In the wet, you will not find another (street) tire that can out perform the PSS.

A potential alternative is the Continental DW. In terms of raw grip, it is nearly identical as the PSS, but its significantly softer sidewall means you give up quite a bit of steering feel, steering response, and feedback. To me, it is the more comfortable tire for street use though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loading_please_wait View Post
I'm a novice Autocross Driver. I've only participated in 5 events, and I'd like to upgrade my tires.

This is my daily driver and I don't want to buy a second set of rims and tires for weekend events at this moment.

I plan to autocross every month to every other month, and I was considering the all around tire Michelin PSS vs an extreme performance tires like the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs or Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2).

Eventually I want to do PDX, but by then I'd probably want a second set of rims and tires for that and autocross.

I live in Florida and we get drenched in rain many times in the year, so for the mean time, I'm thinking about the Michelin PSS. On the other hand, a few of the guys I met with the FR-S or BRZ have extreme performance tires as their daily driver tire, and they haven't had many complaints. Am I being too worried?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #273
chriskory

Drives: 1991 honda civic si
Quote:

Yes, the ZII and RS3 are just fine as an everyday tire; unless you commute 100 miles a day, then it's just a waste.
chriskory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #274
Lithium

Drives: like an asshat
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Wanted to chime in, I have now gone to 5 events with a total of 70 Plus runs on the RE71R's. The tires amazing; as for tire wear I think the added camber up front -2.7 degrees has really helped as the wear is even. I actually except to go all season on these tires. This last weekend I placed 1st in class for both events and 4th in Overall Pax. http://www.rgrscca.com/ Video of my fast raw from the first event. Only car out of 60 plus people to break into the 66 second mark; fyi the other car was a lotus exige that also had RE71r's.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGXAzuBnUOk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGXAzuBnUOk[/ame]
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lithium For This Useful Post:
RedBRZ80 (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #275
xwd

Quote:

Lots of people daily drive on those tires, probably more than autocross on them. When I was in CS I drove on my BFG Rivals for a couple years really without any issues including in the rain plenty of times and they aren't known for their rain prowess. The RE-71Rs are actually supposed to be excellent in the rain from all the reports I've seen, better than the other top autox tires.

It really depends what you are after and how competitive you are.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 AM   #276
FRS Johnny

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Anyone have some experience with federal rsr? Looking for some feedback on these tires
Old 04-23-2015, 04:57 AM   #277
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Johnny View Post
Anyone have some experience with federal rsr? Looking for some feedback on these tires
Tbose are 140tw, not 200tw +

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #278
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Wanted to chime in, I have now gone to 5 events with a total of 70 Plus runs on the RE71R's. The tires amazing; as for tire wear I think the added camber up front -2.7 degrees has really helped as the wear is even. I actually except to go all season on these tires. This last weekend I placed 1st in class for both events and 4th in Overall Pax. http://www.rgrscca.com/ Video of my fast raw from the first event. Only car out of 60 plus people to break into the 66 second mark; fyi the other car was a lotus exige that also had RE71r's.

That course designer sucks.

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Simmons For This Useful Post:
Arigh (04-23-2015), G_Ride (04-23-2015), Jawnathin (04-23-2015), justint5387 (04-27-2015), Lithium (04-24-2015), SeanRTR (04-23-2015), xwd (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #279
xwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post

Simmons

But it's so much easier when EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT is a gate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
G_Ride (04-23-2015), Thorpedo (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #280
Kostamojen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post

Simmons
I wasn't going to say anything LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post: