follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #113
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Speaking about colors/finish .. I wonder how close black one is to stock/oem ones .. also if it's possible to order them without NST branding logo ..
Reasoning being - for example i would wish for performance gain .. but at same time keeping looks close to stock as possible for keeping warranty/low insurance costs, so that unless very careful inspection, aftermarket parts looks should be stealthy/stock alike for quick glance. My car is daily driver, not show car. Gain performance, not potential problems. Bright colors, aftermarket branding bling works against it.
I wonder if i am the only one thinking along these lines, or there might be other potential customers with similar wishes, thus stealthy/not branded finish might be commercially viable addition to existing line ..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #114
NonStopTuning

Drives: AE86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Speaking about colors/finish .. I wonder how close black one is to stock/oem ones .. also if it's possible to order them without NST branding logo ..
Reasoning being - for example i would wish for performance gain .. but at same time keeping looks close to stock as possible for keeping warranty/low insurance costs, so that unless very careful inspection, aftermarket parts looks should be stealthy/stock alike for quick glance. My car is daily driver, not show car. Gain performance, not potential problems. Bright colors, aftermarket branding bling works against it.
I wonder if i am the only one thinking along these lines, or there might be other potential customers with similar wishes, thus stealthy/not branded finish might be commercially viable addition to existing line ..
Our black finish is just like the OEM black. In fact, black is the only color which always comes out consistently as the same shade of black. Black kits are in stock and ready for shipping.

As far as branding, I'd say less than 5% of our customers go for black and/or ask for no branding. I assume this also goes for other brands, and this is why you don't see them offered this way.

Feel free to order from our website and take advantage of the April promo if interested!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #115
NonStopTuning

Received a PM today and thought I would share as a FAQ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---
Hey do you have any other colors of the Pulley Kits that are not mentioned? Maybe a un-finished/polished?
Hey bud,

We do not offer un-finished, bare aluminum, pulleys. Bare aluminum is soft by nature and thus, less durable for long term use. All NST pulleys are anodized for extra strength.

Red, Blue, Gold, Black, Purple are in stock and ready for shipping.

Feel free to order from our website and take advantage of our APRIL offer if interested.

Many thanks!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #116
0351USMC

Drives: 2014 FRS JRSC'd
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Ordered mine yesterday. Combined with the lighweight flywheel the revs should be insane on my supercharged FRS, whenever I finally get her.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 AM   #117
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Couldn't get the alternator off but got these two. Had these sitting since first group buy.
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 AM   #118
DC2R

Damn tapatalk
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqpfvoqwrt...41.28.jpg?dl=0
Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #119
churchx

0351USMC: i'd advise to not do both lightweight crank pulley and lightweight flywheel, but choose between them, as some familiar with EJ and FA20 engine maintenance/rebuilding, reported here observed soon appearing bearing failures/heavy wear in cases where both were installed. Rest of pullies - no problems (but of course almost no gains, as stock are not as big/heavy as crank or flywheel ones). And if choice is LWCP or LWFW, imho better go for later one, though then again former might be simpler to replace.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
DC2R (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #120
DC2R

Quote:
0351USMC: i'd advise to not do both lightweight crank pulley and lightweight flywheel, but choose between them, as some familiar with EJ and FA20 engine maintenance/rebuilding, reported here observed soon appearing bearing failures/heavy wear in cases where both were installed. Rest of pullies - no problems (but of course almost no gains, as stock are not as big/heavy as crank or flywheel ones). And if choice is LWCP or LWFW, imho better go for later one, though then again former might be simpler to replace.
And cheaper too!
...but yes seems a bad idea to install with lwfw
Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #121
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Couldn't get the alternator off but got these two. Had these sitting since first group buy.
The alternator pulley can be a pain. Best bet is leave the belt on and use an impact. I think mine took a couple quick whacks from my cordless to come free.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #122
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
HMMM I have both a 13lbs flywheel and all lightweight pulleys on the engine I am putting in now only the Crank one has not been installed as I need to use the starter trick once it was on the car.

If these motors are internally balanced I did not expect to have an issue with running both that concerns me as I refuse to not run a LWFW as that provides the best rev response... not to mention I also bought a one piece lighter drive shaft too....

Last edited by Cross; 04-15-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cross For This Useful Post:
0351USMC (04-15-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #123
churchx

They are internally balanced, and boxers are indeed best type of engine to install LWCW/LWFW on .. but there can be such thing as "too light". I'm just driving one of twins, who am i to disagree on advises of someone who has overhauled/rebuilt many FJ/EJ engines. If guys like him say , that bearings were close to shot after just not so long use of car in several cases where both LWCW/LWFW were used on these motors, and if from others in this line of work he has heard similar experiences, and advises to not run both of them lightened, better choose/replace just one of them lightened, i'll simply will believe him. Only engine that I have overhauled was that of moped's in childhood, so i prefer to play a bit on safe side for my only one current DD car i wish to run for longer, and for which i don't plan heavy trackday use and frequent complete engine overhauls. Most kits usually include only one of them anyway, i decided to warn by what i read in other LWCW/LWFW related threads only because i saw @0351USMC planning to install both kit with LWCW & LWFW.

NST: btw, imho due what i referred to, maybe worth to make two kits/sets: one - kit like now (maybe extended with all the rest pulleys) + one with all pulleys but crank wheel one, for those, that wish to go for lightened flywheel, no?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #124
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Havent gone over simple harmonics yet, but as long as the replacment parts move the harmonics past the redline, then thats fine.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #125
NonStopTuning

We offer various pulley options, including full kits, accessories only, or crank only. I have personally used both NST pulleys and lightweight flywheels on my own daily cars and various race cars since we started NST in 2005, and I have seen no negative effects of any kind on various cars.

I can not see any legitimate real world scenario in which these parts would be harmful IF these parts are built and balanced properly before installation on the engine.

Please refrain from comments which can and will lead to mass panic on the forums, I appreciate it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NonStopTuning For This Useful Post:
0351USMC (04-15-2015), phobos512 (05-03-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 AM   #126
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
We offer various pulley options, including full kits, accessories only, or crank only. I have personally used both NST pulleys and lightweight flywheels on my own daily cars and various race cars since we started NST in 2005, and I have seen no negative effects of any kind on various cars.

I can not see any legitimate real world scenario in which these parts would be harmful IF these parts are built and balanced properly before installation on the engine.

Please refrain from comments which can and will lead to mass panic on the forums, I appreciate it.
I have never seen any lighter weight crank pulleys put the harmonics within reach of even a race engine redline, no worries. Simply something im actually looking forward into calculating once i get to the understanding in class. As soon as im ready ill definitely pick up a set of these pulleys as well. Quality work
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
NonStopTuning (04-20-2015)