follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #29
Tmann405

Drives: 15 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Do you still have the secondary cat? Mine ticked while I had mine.

I have a cat on the front pipe.
Tmann405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #30
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have catless UEL headers and no turbo and I do smell odor. Odor is most profound if I don't let the car warp up and when I really get on it. I would compare "getting on it" to running boost because both are demanding more . jmust make sure your not mistaking the odor to that of running a catless header. I feel like you should be able to identify an exhaust leak with a review of your fuel trims. Have you all looked at them?
No clue what this ticking sound could be.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #31
kensta

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As for me, I am running no cat. I have a 2.5" ISIS over pipe, 2.75" J2 front pipe, and 3" Perrin non-resonated catback exhaust.

I mainly hear the ticking noise when I apply medium to hard pressure on the gas while driving. I do not hear it when I gently or slightly tap on it or cruising. It's hard to observe the ticking when the car is parked while revving the motor up, you'd to be driving make it more noticeable. I may have to look underneath around the area again for black carbon build up since I did not see anything last time.

Sorry, I don't wanna thread jack anybody. Hoping if anyone else have this same issue.
kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #32
Tmann405

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensta View Post
As for me, I am running no cat. I have a 2.5" ISIS over pipe, 2.75" J2 front pipe, and 3" Perrin non-resonated catback exhaust.

I mainly hear the ticking noise when I apply medium to hard pressure on the gas while driving. I do not hear it when I gently or slightly tap on it or cruising. It's hard to observe the ticking when the car is parked while revving the motor up, you'd to be driving make it more noticeable. I may have to look underneath around the area again for black carbon build up since I did not see anything last time.

Sorry, I don't wanna thread jack anybody. Hoping if anyone else have this same issue.
That's exactly what I have. Under hard acceleration is when I hear it.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:34 AM   #33
kensta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmann405 View Post
That's exactly what I have. Under hard acceleration is when I hear it.
Hey buddy,

Good news! I fixed my ticking noise. It was the flex joints on the exhaust manifold. Today, I decided to change my oil and observe the exhaust manifold area and thought I should try wrapping up those two flex joints. I wrapped them up with some DEI exhaust/header wrap between the two welded area of the flex joints and wire tied them. I'm so happy to fix this!! Been two months and brought to shops that would charge ridiculous to remove and try to fix the problem. Most of them think it's the turbo or mechanical related smh.

This is surely a defect. I have the turbo kit installed for two months. Ever since I started the car up from day one of the install, the ticking was present.

I'm not sure if any SBD owners has the same issue or have posted in the SBD forums.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kensta For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (03-14-2015), jarednoel (03-18-2015), wooly35 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #34
kensta

Here are pics of the before and after wrapping the flex joints. The first two pics, I only took a shot of one of the joints because I wasn't really focusing on getting both, but more at the runner part. I thought the two runners on the right were rubbing each other to make that ticking noise but not the case.

Note that there's some yellowish part on the flex. I used black exhaust wrapping. If I used the white wrap that came with the kit, but I already wrapped over the down pipe, I can probably see black carbon on the leaked area more easily.

Since I am not sure which of the two flex joints are leaking, I probably have to remove one of the wraps of the two to determine which one is the culprit. Hoping that both aren't bad.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #35
Tmann405

Quote:
Here are pics of the before and after wrapping the flex joints. The first two pics, I only took a shot of one of the joints because I wasn't really focusing on getting both, but more at the runner part. I thought the two runners on the right were rubbing each other to make that ticking noise but not the case.

Note that there's some yellowish part on the flex. I used black exhaust wrapping. If I used the white wrap that came with the kit, but I already wrapped over the down pipe, I can probably see black carbon on the leaked area more easily.

Since I am not sure which of the two flex joints are leaking, I probably have to remove one of the wraps of the two to determine which one is the culprit. Hoping that both aren't bad.

Sweet man, I'm glad you got it fixed. I just got some exhaust wrap and I will be wrapping mine as well.

Do you think that they are leaking? Or do you think that they are vibrating or something?
Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #36
kensta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmann405 View Post
Sweet man, I'm glad you got it fixed. I just got some exhaust wrap and I will be wrapping mine as well.

Do you think that they are leaking? Or do you think that they are vibrating or something?
Not 100% positive on leaking. I wrapped it but it doesn't guarantee the leak is gone if there is one, just temporarily aid in quieting down the vibration of the metals. Fumes would still go through I would assume. I have to test the car out more for a day or two had to rush to work today..

Let me know if that works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to kensta For This Useful Post:
Tmann405 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #37
Tmann405

Quote:
Not 100% positive on leaking. I wrapped it but it doesn't guarantee the leak is gone if there is one, just temporarily aid in quieting down the vibration of the metals. Fumes would still go through I would assume. I have to test the car out more for a day or two had to rush to work today..

Let me know if that works for you.
Hey man, so I got under there and wrapped the joints and like you said I'll have to give it a few days, but it definitely muffled the tick at the least. I did see some weird spots on the joints that looked like burn marks.

Overall I'm satisfied with the wrapping, thanks for sharing!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #38
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Other than ticking how's the kit ?
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #39
Tmann405

I like it a lot, especially with my tomei exhaust it sounds amazing, its a full 3 inch from the over pipe back. I also have the AVO clutch which I love!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tmann405 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #40
wooly35

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S LS3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
sweet deal. I just installed the kit this weekend and have had similar problems with the fitment and exhaust leak. I will try the exhaust wrap on the flex joint and see if that takes the ticking away.
wooly35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #41
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Problem is wrapping the headers especially the flex joints will contributed prematurely to them cracking. They are too brand new for them to be doing what they are doing. Where is @spdbydesign ? No comment?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-16-2015), Tmann405 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #42
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Problem is wrapping the headers especially the flex joints will contributed prematurely to them cracking. They are too brand new for them to be doing what they are doing. Where is @spdbydesign ? No comment?
This is what bothers me....There has been zero input on their part.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote