follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:50 PM   #43
eric6

Drives: 93 MR2 Turbo; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
That's strain gauge isn't it? But that part of the assembly will have threads all the way through it which will throw off your readings by a good margin. And, wouldn't you want another one perpendicular to that one to account for temperature variation?
Yes it is. Yes it will. This is one strain gauge of multiple we are placing on the LCA. I trust the engineer who does R&D for a multi-billion dollar company (as well as works for Velox on the side) on this machine day in and day out. I trust he knows where to place them better then myself and I'm sure he will do a great job . We're testing these in the worst case scenario, off car, with strain gauges, extremely high loads, measuring deflection, sifting through the data to ensure it doesn't pass yield strength, and then will fatigue test them at high loads as well. I think we're doing pretty much everything we can to ensure they won't fail on car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
So... When do I get my prototype for street testing? I'm the perfect candidate; I commute 128 miles per day.
If they can survive during this test procedure, and if they can survive on the track with slicks, it'll do just fine on the street .
The Following User Says Thank You to eric6 For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #44
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wonder how many companies use a strain gauge in R&D for LCA's. Very handy from an engineering standpoint. Color me interested...
cdrazic93 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #45
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
I wonder how many companies use a strain gauge in R&D for LCA's. Very handy from an engineering standpoint. Color me interested...
For a product like this, I'd bet not many. My previous comment probably came out more negative than I intended, I'm really interested in what these guys are bringing to the table.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #46
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric6 View Post
Yes it is. Yes it will. This is one strain gauge of multiple we are placing on the LCA. I trust the engineer who does R&D for a multi-billion dollar company (as well as works for Velox on the side) on this machine day in and day out. I trust he knows where to place them better then myself and I'm sure he will do a great job . We're testing these in the worst case scenario, off car, with strain gauges, extremely high loads, measuring deflection, sifting through the data to ensure it doesn't pass yield strength, and then will fatigue test them at high loads as well. I think we're doing pretty much everything we can to ensure they won't fail on car.

If they can survive during this test procedure, and if they can survive on the track with slicks, it'll do just fine on the street .
In that case that's probably a really useful measurement. With some estimation of the properties of the part being threaded into there, I'm guessing you could get a really good idea of the stresses on that thread interface.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #47
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
For a product like this, I'd bet not many.
Wow. Thats depressing.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #48
eric6

Drives: 93 MR2 Turbo; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
For a product like this, I'd bet not many. My previous comment probably came out more negative than I intended, I'm really interested in what these guys are bringing to the table.
Quote:
In that case that's probably a really useful measurement. With some estimation of the properties of the part being threaded into there, I'm guessing you could get a really good idea of the stresses on that thread interface.
that's what we're hopeful for. If they survive the tests, and no yield occurs, we're going to production with them.

I'd change not many, to near none. I assume that if a company goes through these expenses, they'd want to advertise that. I see some go through FEA, but FEA is only as good as the person inputting the loads. Even with correct inputs, we personally don't trust the results 100% from the FEA analysis. FEA tests an unrealistic condition. Materials aren't perfect, even though people associate billet with a "perfect metal." Machining introduces stress risers that FEA can't account for as well. All reasons why we are doing what we can to test these in a controlled fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Wow. Thats depressing.
It is, but we hope to change what guys like you expect from company's like us .

This isn't about showing anyone up either, this is purely because we are pushing the boundaries of weight and we don't want to hurt anyone. I know we haven't put a number out there for weight yet but we've tested the parts enough I think we can give you all a hint.

They are currently under 2.5 lbs, without bolts/nuts. OEM is somewhere around 3.6 lbs with my scale.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eric6 For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-16-2015), cdrazic93 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #49
Calum
That Guy

I would hope that a company the size of whiteline would be doing some proper testing, but my limited experience with them leaves me doubtful.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #50
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I would hope that a company the size of whiteline would be doing some proper testing, but my limited experience with them leaves me doubtful.
I'm doubtful as well.

Testing has begun. We are testing this with the force from a 4g impact. Well over any stress a typical race condition would put on the suspension component.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-18-2015), Calum (03-18-2015), srizzors25 (03-20-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #51
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just got a call that the whiteline lcas I ordered a few weeks ago are no longer in production. Kind of a blessing in disguise as I had ordered them before this thread and these look awesome. I'm in for a set assuming you make an STX legal version.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #52
FRSCanuck

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike View Post
Just got a call that the whiteline lcas I ordered a few weeks ago are no longer in production. Kind of a blessing in disguise as I had ordered them before this thread and these look awesome. I'm in for a set assuming you make an STX legal version.
serious? ordered mine from FT86speedfactory back in December and haven't heard from them since. They were suppose to be mailed in Feb.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #53
Mad_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCanuck View Post
serious? ordered mine from FT86speedfactory back in December and haven't heard from them since. They were suppose to be mailed in Feb.
Yep, I ordered through a local shop in January. I asked today for an update and the shop called their rep who contacted whiteline who said they don't know when they will go back into production. (I know alot of he said/she said).
Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #54
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike View Post
STX legal being non-rod end inboard?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #55
Mad_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEric6 View Post
^ that went over my head. I believe the concern is the bushing cannot contain any more metal than stock. These look like a spherical bushing which would be illegal. I think the only legal ones on the market are spc, white line, racer-x (with the poly option), and rsr?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #56
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEric6 View Post
Bushings must be non-metallic. I think the responses received from this thread so far indicate that you'd have greater market appeal with a poly bushing option.

Closed Thread