follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Would agree completely if a key but not sure how the wheel lock works with the button. My old lancer used to do that all the time. Just give the wheel a twist until the lock clicks and try again. Worth a shot.

It's released with a solenoid, and if it's stuck, you have to turn the wheel a bit and hit the button again. Same basic procedure as if it had a key.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-13-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
lookchris

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Alright you guys quick little update. So it started up normally for awhile and then a few times same issue. I got to try the steering wheel lock, but wasn't the solution. Also tried clutch out then clutch in start, still not the solution. Even gave reentry with out using key less entry still no solution any other suggestions? I notice it happens more offten on hot days, could just be a coincidence.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
lookchris

Garage
hahaha its been awhile since ive posted on this, so my car has been starting up pretty well until recently!!! I was stuck twice last week. 2 times just had to pop start the sucka. Brought it to subaru yesterday, and ofcourse they got it to start every damn time!!! took her home got dressed, tried to leave to grab a bite to eat and go figure, she did not fire.

Its kinda silly, but more annoying. Hopefully this gets figured out soon
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
Guillaume

Drives: Exige S 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookchris View Post
Alright you guys quick little update. So it started up normally for awhile and then a few times same issue. I got to try the steering wheel lock, but wasn't the solution. Also tried clutch out then clutch in start, still not the solution. Even gave reentry with out using key less entry still no solution any other suggestions? I notice it happens more offten on hot days, could just be a coincidence.
I experience a similar problem (yet it might be different) on very rare occasions. Pressing the "unlock" button on the remote does the trick, it starts right up after that. Give it a try next time?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #19
lookchris

Garage
check this out you guys, my car starts (3 for 3) every time i try to record the problem!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #20
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookchris View Post
check this out you guys, my car starts (3 for 3) every time i try to record the problem!!!
Just record it every day forever! Problem solved!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
lookchris

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Just record it every day forever! Problem solved!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
hahaha thats the plan!!!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #22
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
It's released with a solenoid, and if it's stuck, you have to turn the wheel a bit and hit the button again. Same basic procedure as if it had a key.
I question this answer.
If the steering lock is actuated by a solenoid, then is the solenoid, energized when locked? (seems this would drain the battery), or is it energized when UNlocked (seems like a safety concern if power to that part of system is lost - blown fuse).

I never questioned the other thread where the guy said his steering locked while driving if it could have possibly been the security lock system acting up....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #23
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
I question this answer.
If the steering lock is actuated by a solenoid, then is the solenoid, energized when locked? (seems this would drain the battery), or is it energized when UNlocked (seems like a safety concern if power to that part of system is lost - blown fuse).

I never questioned the other thread where the guy said his steering locked while driving if it could have possibly been the security lock system acting up....

Hmm... I don't know off hand as I've never messed with a column from a car without a key. I'd assume that it has some kind of lock mechanism that holds it open until actuated to close again so this failure mode isn't possible. Fairly easy to test, hit the button to turn the car on without starting the engine and if the column is unlocked, disconnect the battery and see if it relocks.

I agree it would be a dangerous situation if it is indeed a sprung solenoid that can relock if it loses power.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #24
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Hmm... I don't know off hand as I've never messed with a column from a car without a key. I'd assume that it has some kind of lock mechanism that holds it open until actuated to close again so this failure mode isn't possible. Fairly easy to test, hit the button to turn the car on without starting the engine and if the column is unlocked, disconnect the battery and see if it relocks.

I agree it would be a dangerous situation if it is indeed a sprung solenoid that can relock if it loses power.
Or... (I forgot one solution) there are "latching relays" that stay in the last commanded position without power holding them there.

I suppose you could make a latching solenoid.
To be honest, I'm not even sure that my BRZ HAS a steering lock. Never checked, or noticed...

For security systems, there are two kinds of door locks: Fail-safe (if power is lost door is free to open) or fail-secure (if power is lost you cannot open the door).
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote