follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin 2.5" Resonated Tip Alignment

I know this has been brought up a few times as I searched the forums and also google searched Perrin 2.5" Resonated Tip Alignment site:ft86club.com. I just recently put on my new Perrin 2.5" catback and really love it, but I'm just running into that one issue that apparently many have.

@PERRIN_Mladen mentioned below. Also @PERRIN_Chris talked about this as well in another post.

Quote:
"Loosen the two V bands on the S pipe, the connection to the mid pipe, and the connection to the muffler.
Then twist the S pipe to move the muffler to the desired location, then retighten the V bands, and you are done!"
From attempting to do this, it seems it only moves a slight bit due to the S pipe being mounted in the 5th rubber bracket. It didn't seem to twist much at all as I could move it up and down more than anything closer to the driveshaft. I fiddled with it for quite some time and I still ended up with my left tip protruding out more than the right. My V-Band closest to the muffler already needs to be replaced because the nut stripped the threads, but that might have been due to me hand tightening too tight so I ordered a new one. I've tried holding the muffler in place and shifting it to where I want it and no matter what, when I go to tighten the V-Bands, it shifts back to how it was and sticks out more on the left. Should I maybe try favoring the right side and having it protrude out then tighten it to compensate?

Has anyone found a surefire way to fix this in a timelier manner? I have a JDL front pipe made with a flange to mate the Perrin catback as well if that matters in the fitment, but it seems like most of the adjustment comes from the V-Bands and S pipe.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Hi I think I might have replied to you over email or PM earlier. If you aren't able to get enough adjustment through twisting the S pipe before the muffler, you might want to double check to make sure that the S pipe is installed the right way. I've seen a couple customers install the S pipe backwards, making it not possible to line the tips to the bumper. I'm posting this picture up as a reference. If you're still having some issues, send me some pictures so I can check it out, thanks!

PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Hi I think I might have replied to you over email or PM earlier. If you aren't able to get enough adjustment through twisting the S pipe before the muffler, you might want to double check to make sure that the S pipe is installed the right way. I've seen a couple customers install the S pipe backwards, making it not possible to line the tips to the bumper. I'm posting this picture up as a reference. If you're still having some issues, send me some pictures so I can check it out, thanks!
Here is a quick snapshot from under my car. I'll have better ones this weekend. The S pipe is definitely the right direction.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
That's good, pics so we can see the tips will also help, from above if possible, thanks!
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
That's good, pics so we can see the tips will also help, from above if possible, thanks!
No problem, I'll snap one when I get home. Left tip from the top is about an inch out further than the right, but pictures tell a thousand words. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
No problem, I'll snap one when I get home. Left tip from the top is about an inch out further than the right, but pictures tell a thousand words. Thanks for your help!
i had the same problem (left sticking out more) losen all the hangers and the v-band clamps on the s-pipe, align the tips, tighten the hangers, tighten the v-bands and you'll be good to go .

make sure you have an extra set of hands.
benlaz88 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
benlaz88

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Its the same for me as well. Left stick out further than the right.
benlaz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
i had the same problem (left sticking out more) losen all the hangers and the v-band clamps on the s-pipe, align the tips, tighten the hangers, tighten the v-bands and you'll be good to go .

make sure you have an extra set of hands.
I tried tightening the v-band closest to the muffler while holding the muffler and tips in place with 1 hand, but I think it moved when I went to tighten the front v-band to mid pipe.

Do you recommend starting with the one closest to the muffler like another person suggested? I'll see if I can get another set of hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
benlaz88

IF i understand right from @RobertPaulson, its seem like we all forget to lossen the hanger. i will have to give it a try when i have time.
The Following User Says Thank You to benlaz88 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Quote:
I tried tightening the v-band closest to the muffler while holding the muffler and tips in place with 1 hand, but I think it moved when I went to tighten the front v-band to mid pipe.

Do you recommend starting with the one closest to the muffler like another person suggested? I'll see if I can get another set of hands.
As i recall i started with the one closest to the muffler, but i had an extra set of hands to ensure the tips stayed in place as i tightened everything. but you must make sure the hangers are lose and easily movable otherwise the hanger will force the tip back into the wrong place
Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlaz88 View Post
IF i understand right from @RobertPaulson, its seem like we all forget to lossen the hanger. i will have to give it a try when i have time.
This right here, my first attempt with my buddy we couldn't get the tips right, the hangers were causing the problem we loosened the hangers as well as the vbands, set everything, my buddy held everything in place as i tightened everything. been perfect since.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
2016 Camaro SS

You know, you probably found my issue. I'm not sure how much movement my Cusco hanger allows the S pipe to move front to back on the S pipe mount. I know the hangers for the muffler allow movement for them to bend front to back, but the 5th S pipe hanger I may need to spray with some WD-40 silicon spray to allow it to move a little bit.

Just trying to figure out what makes that left tip want to push out when tighting the v-bands. I really think that second set of hands should help.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #13
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
This right here, my first attempt with my buddy we couldn't get the tips right, the hangers were causing the problem we loosened the hangers as well as the vbands, set everything, my buddy held everything in place as i tightened everything. been perfect since.
When did you put on the lock washers? Before or after you tightened the v-bands?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
benlaz88

Quote:
When did you put on the lock washers? Before or after you tightened the v-bands?
I think as soon you lossen the hanger with the allen key, its should work.