follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #113
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just traded cars for a week with my buddy, i have a 2015 brz limited, he just bought a 2015 wrx limited. just a little background, I was coming from a s2000 before i bought a brz so i do love my brz, but the steering feel and the gearbox was definitely more fun and crisp (go kart feeling) in the s2000 however the brz is a more practical DD.

Now driving the wrx is cool, its faster, the turbo is awesome however during that week i missed my brz SO MUCH. the FEEL is so much better in the brz. the brz is lower, and despite the torque dip i love the rumble and linear feel of a NA engine. the turbo is fun but the constant back and forth of my head from the turbo got old after a couple days. i felt much more in sync with the car when taking corners. the steering feel is more responsive in the BRZ and the wrx feels very numb, it almost doesn't feel like a sports car (keep in mind my previous sports car was a s2000)

Its a very hard feeling to describe but the brz (to me) is just better in almost every way. after the wrx i also drove a civic SI for a few days which was a different experience.

Basically what i am trying to say is, I've started to drive other sports cars recently (civic SI, WRX, and hyundai genesis) and by doing so it really makes me appreciate what i have with the BRZ. It is the perfect blend of sports car / Practical DD. in a perfect world when I'm older and have my own house and family i would have a AP2 S2000 along with a DD (like a tacoma or something) because you can't beat that feeling in the s2000. However for those who don't get to have that luxury and can only have one car. the BRZ/FR-S is to me, the perfect car.

I wish it had a little more power, 30-50 more HP and i would be ecstatic, if i still have this car in 3 years and nothing better comes out in the form of a second generation BRZ. i will definitely supercharge the car.

I say get another one!
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #114
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's funny that you say that the BRZ is better in almost every way, funny because I pretty much agree, but I still choose the WRX. Am I really just a torque whore?

I think for me the #1 factor really is the AWD vs. RWD. I live in Texas, so I never see snow, but after having owned an Evo IX and Evo X, I really miss the AWD corner exits and rainy weather confidence. BRZ would be a fine 3rd car for me, but not at MSRP.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #115
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Regardless of how good my car feels it sucks when an asshole Camry driver wants to cut me off in order to get in front of me for the highway entry ramp......

and there is not shit I can do about it.

Our cars are just slow.

I'm not saying I want to drag race my car around everywhere but it would be nice every once in a while when an asshole is in the way driving slow, to have enough power, to blow past them if they decide to step on the gas once I attempt to move around.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #116
ThisIsChrisKim
Hockey Playing Scientist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT (WRB)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
@Sajakh

The WRX has a very good comfy feel to it. Compared to the previous WRX models, this one has much more room for passengers, the chassis feels fairly rigid, the cabin is quite quiet (comparatively speaking), and the suspension is actually much more comfortable than the 2013 and 2014 BRZ. @Boxer486 mentioned the 2015 is better than the rest, but I can't confirm yet.

If you do need a car to carry people comfortably, the WRX is nice to have if you want to keep it in the Subie family. The downside of the WRX thus far is the DI system. Power upgrades are going to be an issue in the future. We already have a few items in testing phase as we speak.

The plus side of the DI is having an average MPG of 30+...very impressed.
My biggest complaints of the BRZ are the cabin noise and the (over rough pavement) choppy ride when there are seams in the highway (seemingly every LA highway) which leads to a gallop-y bouncing ride the whole way home. I'm curious how much improved the 2015 would be in ride over the 2013.

If the WRX has many of the same qualities as the BRZ without a huge penalty in the MPG (in my experience, I can easily get 34+ MPG in my BRZ with a mostly highway ride), I think this could be my next car. There's likely a baby on the way in the next 3 years, so swapping the BRZ for a more practical car wouldn't be a bad thing
ThisIsChrisKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #117
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsChrisKim View Post
My biggest complaints of the BRZ are the cabin noise and the (over rough pavement) choppy ride when there are seams in the highway (seemingly every LA highway) which leads to a gallop-y bouncing ride the whole way home. I'm curious how much improved the 2015 would be in ride over the 2013.

If the WRX has many of the same qualities as the BRZ without a huge penalty in the MPG (in my experience, I can easily get 34+ MPG in my BRZ with a mostly highway ride), I think this could be my next car. There's likely a baby on the way in the next 3 years, so swapping the BRZ for a more practical car wouldn't be a bad thing
In my test drive yesterday, the WRX was significantly quieter at 60mph cruising, no engine noise (maybe too quiet there), and road noise just barely audible. Long term magazine tests are showing 24mpg average in the 2015 WRX. Ride quality was good, somewhat better than the BRZ, of course there's the tradeoff in absolute handling, BRZ being superior there.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #118
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

The BRZ is quiet, but I'm coming from cars that have no sound deadening materials anyways. My standard is LS430 Ultra Luxury models for quiet so I'm either near racecar status or full luxury. LOL

The WRX is quick and quiet and it does utilize quite a bit of the BRZ's R&D to its development, but, the WRX, will never be a BRZ. The BRZ will never be a WRX. Physically they are different, the drivetrain is different, and simply put, they are meant for different purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
In my test drive yesterday, the WRX was significantly quieter at 60mph cruising, no engine noise (maybe too quiet there), and road noise just barely audible. Long term magazine tests are showing 24mpg average in the 2015 WRX. Ride quality was good, somewhat better than the BRZ, of course there's the tradeoff in absolute handling, BRZ being superior there.
2015 WRX gets 30+ when I drive it whether in LA traffic or cruising long distances. I've seen as high as 52MPG coming back from the track. (sigh)
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
juliog (02-04-2015), tahdizzle (02-03-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #119
civdaddy

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
30+mpg in LA traffic....I hope no one takes that serious.
civdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #120
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Regardless of how good my car feels it sucks when an asshole Camry driver wants to cut me off in order to get in front of me for the highway entry ramp......

and there is not shit I can do about it.

Our cars are just slow.

I'm not saying I want to drag race my car around everywhere but it would be nice every once in a while when an asshole is in the way driving slow, to have enough power, to blow past them if they decide to step on the gas once I attempt to move around.
Sadly even the 2015 WRX loses to the V6 Camry in that scenario. Look at the 5-60 mph times:

Camry V6: 6.1 s
2015 WRX: 6.6 s
2015 GTI: 6.7 s
Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec: 6.7 s

Even with small factory turbos, none of the turbo 2.0L cars spool quickly enough to beat the Camry in that scenario.

The V6 pony cars run about even with the Camry.

You really need to step up to a V8 Mustang/Camaro/Chally to put some distance on a V6 Camry in that scenario.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
industrial (02-04-2015), tahdizzle (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #121
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Sadly even the 2015 WRX loses to the V6 Camry in that scenario. Look at the 5-60 mph times:

Camry V6: 6.1 s
2015 WRX: 6.6 s
2015 GTI: 6.7 s
Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec: 6.7 s

Even with small factory turbos, none of the turbo 2.0L cars spool quickly enough to beat the Camry in that scenario.

The V6 pony cars run about even with the Camry.

You really need to step up to a V8 Mustang/Camaro/Chally to put some distance on a V6 Camry in that scenario.
Wow. Just goes to show you how far the Camry has come more than anything. I think this kind of thing will only get worse going forward. Take a ride in a new accord hybrid and although the numbers aren't awesome...it has some serious thrust. 226ft/lbs at 0rpm. I've driven the tesla s and the accord is similar for a second. The wave of insanely torquey hybrid family cars is coming. They will probably all blow the doors off our car in short sprints.

Speed and acelleration will become a given I think. The sports car experience has always been about feel, sound and soul which our car has in spades. Maybe more people will realize this when future hybird pony cars weigh 5000pounds with 800ft/lbs at 0rpm and everyone will yearn for the car we drive today.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
civdaddy (02-04-2015), DarkSunrise (02-04-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-05-2015), Mr.Impreza (02-04-2015), strat61caster (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #122
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
New WRX is an ugly car....I'd choose BRZ just for that alone.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #123
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Wow. Just goes to show you how far the Camry has come more than anything. I think this kind of thing will only get worse going forward. Take a ride in a new accord hybrid and although the numbers aren't awesome...it has some serious thrust. 226ft/lbs at 0rpm. I've driven the tesla s and the accord is similar for a second. The wave of insanely torquey hybrid family cars is coming. They will probably all blow the doors off our car in short sprints.

Speed and acelleration will become a given I think. The sports car experience has always been about feel, sound and soul which our car has in spades. Maybe more people will realize this when future hybird pony cars weigh 5000pounds with 800ft/lbs at 0rpm and everyone will yearn for the car we drive today.
The V6 Camry has always been fast

Also, any hybrid or electric car will out accelerate a hell of a lot on the road. Used to drive a Prius as a delivery vehicle and if you stomped on the gas pedal from a dead stop it was pretty hilariously quick....and then it ran out of steam. Crap car overall, but was good for a few laughs.

Having seen a Tesla S driven in anger, I can say that anyone that thinks electric cars are slow needs to open their eyes...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #124
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a 2015. Still choppy, it made my neck hurt. After-market suspension solved that problem. Stock suspension is for sale if you would like to try them out.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #125
DohcTor
Banned

Drives: Low and fast
If they actually put a decent engine in the BRZ, it would be a clear win. But the lackluster fa20 just makes me question whether I made the right choice
DohcTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #126
tomato86

Drives: '13 FR-S | '08 Evo [Sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohcTor View Post
If they actually put a decent engine in the BRZ, it would be a clear win. But the lackluster fa20 just makes me question whether I made the right choice
Entire reason I'm getting rid of mine

'08 EVO [SOLD] | ARC Intercooler | Tomei Expreme Ti Exhaust | Blitz Intake Pipe | HKS Intercooler Piping | HKS Spark Plugs | Blitz SUS Power Filter | ECUTek | Varis x Runduce Aero | Enkei RPF1
tomato86 is offline   Reply With Quote