follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List
JonMotoring

Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #28715
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No worries. I'll put fuel in the vehicle tonight
Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #28716
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
HOLY SHIT! I WILD NELSMAR APPEARS!

I thought you were just a figment of imagination. never hear from you anymore. haha. the stock map showed significantly less turblence in the air, but once I changed to a stage 1 tune, I knew immidiately there were issues. I can actually hear it from 3600 - 4200 rpm... the sound of air slapping. It's ugly.

when I get some time, I will probably log a "standard drive" with the FLKC, FBKC, Ign. Timing, RPM, IAM, STFT, and LTFT and upload that into Datazap. I don't know if ECUtek uses the same parameters, but if you'd like to see it (or anything else I can log) just let me know what you want to see and I'll upload it to datazap so you can see the graph.

Hah! I know right?! ive gotten a few text as of late along the lines of "Holy shit... your ALIVE?!". I've been one busy mother fucker! I'll probably swing out to one of the meets soon. I was considering stopping by the E side one as I was cycling just down the street yesterday. Then I realized I had my days confused and I said that I was going to swing by the W side meet and the E side wasn't yesterday... grrrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilesMeague View Post
I'm really interested in feeling the uel+tune. But if I end up being able to make it out to the meet on Wednesday you can take mine on the on ramp if you're interested. Perrin CAI and 3 inch cat-back with no tune
If your ever downtown I am sure I can get @Lyzak or... crud I forget Brents forum name ;/... but they both have UEL headers, Brent is 200+WHP (I forget what his last dyno was).

The header alone doesn't make a massive difference without VVT changes a proper tune though. The tune does the biggest difference as for a single mod aspect.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #28717
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallen View Post
I might try. I have UEL headers, AP overpipe/frontpipe, INVIDIA n1 catback, lightweight pulleys...no tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You ought to get that sucker tuned! :P
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
TilesMeague (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #28718
Celadrielas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Hah! I know right?! ive gotten a few text as of late along the lines of "Holy shit... your ALIVE?!". I've been one busy mother fucker! I'll probably swing out to one of the meets soon. I was considering stopping by the E side one as I was cycling just down the street yesterday. Then I realized I had my days confused and I said that I was going to swing by the W side meet and the E side wasn't yesterday... grrrrrrrr

If your ever downtown I am sure I can get @Lyzak or... crud I forget Brents forum name ;/... but they both have UEL headers, Brent is 200+WHP (I forget what his last dyno was).

The header alone doesn't make a massive difference without VVT changes a proper tune though. The tune does the biggest difference as for a single mod aspect.

That's sort of the lines I was thinking of. So last night, I did the first 3rd gear pull since tune while getting onto the free way. Shifted early first to second, and second to thrid (Both shifts around 3k), then full throttled to get a pull. I had my OFT with me, plugged in, but forgot to hit record on all pulls.

Heard what I thought was a rattle coming from engine bay, but it happened so quick, I thought I was hearing things. Did a second pull and sure enough, from 3,800-4500 ish I am hearing something. Rolled down the window but can't hear it that way, so I drove home.

I guess it's possible it's knock, but I woke up late for work today and barely got to my job on time. I'll have to record tonight but I heard it again this morning on "standard driving" down the city streets. It's specific to that RPM band and happens no matter how fast or slow I am accellerating or what gear I am in. (since it's low RPM, I tested it in 1,2, & 3)

I am a little nervous it may be knock, but the only other time I remember hearing a noise which sounded similar was on a turbo tC with open dump. almost like you can hear the exhaust pouring out of the overpipe (Which does have a bad gasket. I have the parts on me. Just need to do the work.)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #28719
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffsides
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423077365.127775.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  315.9 KB

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #28720
captain_jack

Drives: '13 raven frs, '10 taco,09 gsxr 600
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
That's sort of the lines I was thinking of. So last night, I did the first 3rd gear pull since tune while getting onto the free way. Shifted early first to second, and second to thrid (Both shifts around 3k), then full throttled to get a pull. I had my OFT with me, plugged in, but forgot to hit record on all pulls.

Heard what I thought was a rattle coming from engine bay, but it happened so quick, I thought I was hearing things. Did a second pull and sure enough, from 3,800-4500 ish I am hearing something. Rolled down the window but can't hear it that way, so I drove home.

I guess it's possible it's knock, but I woke up late for work today and barely got to my job on time. I'll have to record tonight but I heard it again this morning on "standard driving" down the city streets. It's specific to that RPM band and happens no matter how fast or slow I am accellerating or what gear I am in. (since it's low RPM, I tested it in 1,2, & 3)

I am a little nervous it may be knock, but the only other time I remember hearing a noise which sounded similar was on a turbo tC with open dump. almost like you can hear the exhaust pouring out of the overpipe (Which does have a bad gasket. I have the parts on me. Just need to do the work.)
It is normal to hear combustion happening through a leaky connection that close to the motor. I'd just log it and see because I had a similar sound and that was my cause.
captain_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain_jack For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #28721
Celadrielas

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
It is normal to hear combustion happening through a leaky connection that close to the motor. I'd just log it and see because I had a similar sound and that was my cause.
refreshing to hear. Will create some logs tonight, upload them to Datazap, and then go from there. Gasket will be changed out over the weekend, hopefully.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #28722
nelsmar

Quote:

It is likely sound from adjusted vvt tables. This engine lets off a lot of resonated sound at that rpm range once you retune it. The factory vvt map is a fair bit quieter. This is a comment comment and there are many threads on it. You should definitely log fbck and flkc and see if there are signs of knock. Also earlier you meanies your CR. I think you mean AFR. the oft tunes rely on learning (which Is fine) but your maf scale could be off which can throw a few off bits into the tune. If your intake calibration is off your target afr / ignition base is going to shift.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #28723
Celadrielas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
It is likely sound from adjusted vvt tables. This engine lets off a lot of resonated sound at that rpm range once you retune it. The factory vvt map is a fair bit quieter. This is a comment comment and there are many threads on it. You should definitely log fbck and flkc and see if there are signs of knock. Also earlier you meanies your CR. I think you mean AFR. the oft tunes rely on learning (which Is fine) but your maf scale could be off which can throw a few off bits into the tune. If your intake calibration is off your target afr / ignition base is going to shift.
Thanks, I appreciate the correction and certainly the information. I was definately wrong.

I figured I would log IAM, RPM, Throttle, FBKC, FLKC, Wideband AFR, Ign. Timing, STFT, and LTFT. (I'll let it graph the AFR, RPM, IAM, and FLKC.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #28724
nelsmar

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the correction and certainly the information. I was definately wrong.

I figured I would log IAM, RPM, Throttle, FBKC, FLKC, Wideband AFR, Ign. Timing, STFT, and LTFT. (I'll let it graph the AFR, RPM, IAM, and FLKC.
Toss in ignition timing, engine load, and maf v too!
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (02-08-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #28725
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffsides
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423114673.099159.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  221.2 KB

Sent from ARIZONA86 HQ
Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #28726
Lischynski
Weendog

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
My new wheel I'm looking for is the Rota RKR or XXR 537 or anything similar. I can't find anything in our bolt pattern and 16" diameter. Anybody know of any similar wheels that would be a match for what I'm looking for? 4 bolt patterns have all the nice 16" wheels.
Lischynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #28727
Lischynski
Weendog

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Hmm, what do you guys think about these Enkei Compe's? 16x8, 25mm offset.
Attached Images

Lischynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #28728
R3NIK

Drives: 2013 FR-S/C
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lischynski View Post
Hmm, what do you guys think about these Enkei Compe's? 16x8, 25mm offset.
Reminds me of Mustang Bullitt wheels.
R3NIK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, fr-s, mesa, phoenix, scion, tucson, we need a subforum