follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #29
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsthefuzz View Post
I just bought my fiance a 2015 Accord Sport. The car actually does very well. Picks up nice, the "7 speeds" available in sport mode through the CVT (yes....it is still funny to me) actually work really well and it responds to inputs very quickly. It handles extremely well for a economy sedan. I have fun taking on/off ramps and twisties in it. Besides VTEC YO!

Unfortunately, the other than the Civic SI and possibly the S2000 variant they have speculated about since the S2000s demise I don't think anything in that department will happen. Hondas US brand is all about economy. The enthusiast niche is too small to make an impact on a company who sells hundreds of thousands of cars a year in the US alone. The performance/luxury will be held for the Acura brand. Can't step on the sales of a brand that somebody is willing to shell out 40+k on a rebadged Honda.

When I was selling for Honda last year, The accord sport was so easy to sell, it sold itself! I wouldn't mind one in a 6-spd. Those are pretty rare!

The headlights on the v6 model look very nice as well.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
ohnoitsthefuzz (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #30
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I just want to see that sweet, sweet turbo S2000 successor as soon as possible.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #31
ohnoitsthefuzz

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6 Speed Raven Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
When I was selling for Honda last year, The accord sport was so easy to sell, it sold itself! I wouldn't mind one in a 6-spd. Those are pretty rare!

The headlights on the v6 model look very nice as well.
I would have bought the 6 speed model, I asked about one and they found it. However, the lady doesn't know how to drive a manual and really has no interest in learning. I guess we get a little bit of both world with the paddle shift but I have learned the word COMPROMISE saves a world of headaches.
ohnoitsthefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:00 AM   #32
ducky369

Drives: 2014 Frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I just bought my fiance a 2015 Accord Sport. The car actually does very well. Picks up nice, the "7 speeds" available in sport mode through the CVT (yes....it is still funny to me) actually work really well and it responds to inputs very quickly. It handles extremely well for a economy sedan. I have fun taking on/off ramps and twisties in it. Besides VTEC YO!

Unfortunately, the other than the Civic SI and possibly the S2000 variant they have speculated about since the S2000s demise I don't think anything in that department will happen. Hondas US brand is all about economy. The enthusiast niche is too small to make an impact on a company who sells hundreds of thousands of cars a year in the US alone. The performance/luxury will be held for the Acura brand. Can't step on the sales of a brand that somebody is willing to shell out 40+k on a rebadged Honda.

Do you mind explaining to me how does this CVT works? It's 7 speed? I thought cvt has infinite amount of gears and when you need powers it shifts up automatically? And a cvt is equip with peddles? This is kinda confusing
ducky369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #33
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky369 View Post
Do you mind explaining to me how does this CVT works? It's 7 speed? I thought cvt has infinite amount of gears and when you need powers it shifts up automatically? And a cvt is equip with peddles? This is kinda confusing

If it's anything like the new WRX, the CVT can simulate the the ratios of a regular gearbox. The WRX does this in sport mode.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #34
ducky369

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
If it's anything like the new WRX, the CVT can simulate the the ratios of a regular gearbox. The WRX does this in sport mode.
so the cvt with infinite amount of gear ratio makes it faster at shifting or not? with it have ratios that can be minimum and maximum will it delay my shift like temporarily deny it until it feels like OH YOU DONT NEED TO SHIFT YET.. JUST WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT.. NOW! and makes shift slower?

I'm still not understanding CVT, I've read that they only got 1 gear and it will shifting and shifting whenever you need more power
Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #35
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
so the cvt with infinite amount of gear ratio makes it faster at shifting or not? with it have ratios that can be minimum and maximum will it delay my shift like temporarily deny it until it feels like OH YOU DONT NEED TO SHIFT YET.. JUST WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT.. NOW! and makes shift slower?

I'm still not understanding CVT, I've read that they only got 1 gear and it will shifting and shifting whenever you need more power
The infinite amount of ratios was to eliminate that small jerk you get when changing gears. It doesn't make the shifts faster.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #36
ducky369

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjonny View Post
The infinite amount of ratios was to eliminate that small jerk you get when changing gears. It doesn't make the shifts faster.

Sooooo when comparing a cvt vs the frs's Auto box it blows it out of the water? Is it like between DCT and regular auto?
Old 01-31-2015, 05:56 AM   #37
ohnoitsthefuzz

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6 Speed Raven Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sooooo when comparing a cvt vs the frs's Auto box it blows it out of the water? Is it like between DCT and regular auto?
No it's totally different. A CVT transmission has a drive belt attached at to one pulley at the crank then one pulley that drives the wheels (totally simplified down). Each pulley changes ratios by getting bigger or smaller depending on speed and engine load.

If I am in normal drive mode and I step on the gas to accelerate, once my RPM reach the most efficient point between power and economy the pulleys adjust so that is where the RPM stays regardless speed. Once I ease off the accelerator and cruise at a set speed the pulleys adjust and the revs drop down. It is a little weird at first because you expect the car to shift like a normal auto. However once I put the selector into Sport mode, the computer allows the CVT to shift more like a normal auto where revs climb, you shift, they drop etc.

I know that CVTs are mainly used for economy but I've never first hand been able to experience a new WRX equipped with one. Never dropping boost between shifts would be nice.

Here's a cool little link to give a basic idea of the CVT from Honda though:

http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/CVT/
ohnoitsthefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #38
ducky369

Quote:
No it's totally different. A CVT transmission has a drive belt attached at to one pulley at the crank then one pulley that drives the wheels (totally simplified down). Each pulley changes ratios by getting bigger or smaller depending on speed and engine load.

If I am in normal drive mode and I step on the gas to accelerate, once my RPM reach the most efficient point between power and economy the pulleys adjust so that is where the RPM stays regardless speed. Once I ease off the accelerator and cruise at a set speed the pulleys adjust and the revs drop down. It is a little weird at first because you expect the car to shift like a normal auto. However once I put the selector into Sport mode, the computer allows the CVT to shift more like a normal auto where revs climb, you shift, they drop etc.

I know that CVTs are mainly used for economy but I've never first hand been able to experience a new WRX equipped with one. Never dropping boost between shifts would be nice.

Here's a cool little link to give a basic idea of the CVT from Honda though:

http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/CVT/
kinda weird concept... so it auto adjust the rpm to keep it better for economy? and when you put it in sport mode, it turns into normal auto gearbox? basically, you don't feel a jerk when shifting up and down because RPM is constant at for example 4k? did i hit the nail on that one?