follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota John View Post
For the normal performance minded car owner the OFT is a great product.
The next OFT update (due out next week) is going to offer programmer tuning alerts that will add a level of comfort for novices as well as provide for advanced tuning alarm for experienced self-tuners. I've been testing it for the last 3 weeks and it has made my job of monitoring and evaluating tunes much easier
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
YMAA (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
The next OFT update (due out next week) is going to offer programmer tuning alerts that will add a level of comfort for novices as well as provide for advanced tuning alarm for experienced self-tuners. I've been testing it for the last 3 weeks and it has made my job of monitoring and evaluating tunes much easier

Now come out with a flex fuel kit so I don't have to bother with map changes.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #17
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is the primary reason why I'm considering Ecutek over OFT. OFT appeals to me for many many reasons, but a flex fuel kit is on my short list. If OFT supported flex fuel, decision would be easy
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #18
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Shiv what are you charging for Custom OFT etunes?
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
@shiv +1, would like to purchase your services

OFH + Grimmspeed intake
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
The customer service I have recieved from the OFT guys has been fantastic. I will tell you that I've not received a response back from Shiv to a message a sent him a few days ago, but the most likely reason is because his damn inbox is so fucking full so god damn always. This is what happens when you put customer service at the top of a priority list though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
It's not that easy. remember that even with the ECUtek you're changing maps entirely. You just aren't reflashing. I'm sure they are working on it, we just have to be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
This is the primary reason why I'm considering Ecutek over OFT. OFT appeals to me for many many reasons, but a flex fuel kit is on my short list. If OFT supported flex fuel, decision would be easy
As stated above, it's actually pretty rough to design, test, and apply a flex fuel system. I am sure OFT is working on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post

OFH + Grimmspeed intake

When I can afford it... I am doing this. Hands down.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #21
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Understood its not an easy implementation. It requires several maps to be loaded based upon ethanol content, to put it simply. If memory serves, OFT only supports a single map to be loaded in the current version.

Its just on my wishlist, as I'd personally prefer to use OFT over EcuTek if I'm going to stick with the stock ECU.
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #22
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
It's not that easy. remember that even with the ECUtek you're changing maps entirely. You just aren't reflashing. I'm sure they are working on it, we just have to be patient.

Yes, but once you have the sensor and the Flex Fuel map, the sensor automatically scales the fuel/ignition tables based on the Ethanol content.

So you don't have to worry about going back and forth between maps/tunes, etc. You just put your favorite flavor in and go.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Circuit Motorsports (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:
This is not correct. With an EcuTek flex-fuel tune and an ethanol content sensor installed, one tune will handle any mix of E85 and Gas, any amount of ethanol in the system, from, e0 to e98 (haven't see anyone run e100 yet). It's a true flex-fuel setup that dynamically optimizes based on ethanol content without worrying about the mix of gas and E85 in the tank. No reflashing or changing maps required for different ethanol mixes. This has been available on this platform for well over a year.

If you are referring to an E85 tune, requiring separate tunes to run E85 and gasoline without an ethanol content sensor installed, using EcuTek, One tune can handle both fuels with two maps within one tune, and you switch maps with your cruise control stalk. No laptop, no tablet, no flashing required. Takes about 2 seconds to switch maps. Very easy and convenient! The EcuTek system supports up to 4 separate maps on the 86 platform.

Quote:
As stated above, it's actually pretty rough to design, test, and apply a flex fuel system. I am sure OFT is working on it though.
Not really....EcuTek-based flex-fuel solutions have been available for this platform for well over a year now.

- Bob

Last edited by Circuit Motorsports; 01-23-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Circuit Motorsports For This Useful Post:
Celadrielas (01-21-2015), Strife26 (11-25-2017)
Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #24
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I have had great experiences with Bill @ Delicious tuning. Can't say about the others you mentioned.
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports View Post
This is not correct. With an EcuTek flex-fuel tune and an ethanol content sensor installed, one tune will handle any mix of E85 and Gas, any amount of ethanol in the system, from, e0 to e98 (haven't see anyone run e100 yet). It's a true flex-fuel setup that dynamically optimizes based on ethanol content without worrying about the mix of gas and E85 in the tank. No reflashing or changing maps required for different ethanol mixes. This has been available on this platform for well over a year.

If you are referring to an E85 tune, requiring separate tunes to run E85 and gasoline without an ethanol content sensor installed, using EcuTek, One tune can handle both fuels with a two maps within one tune, and you switch maps with your cruise control stalk. No laptop, no tablet, no flashing required. Very easy and convenient! The EcuTek system supports up to 4 separate maps on the 86 platform.

Not really....EcuTek-based flex-fuel systems has been available for this platform for well over a year now.

- Bob

Thank you for the correction to my information. The last exposure I had to the ECUtek system was through a local member. Every time they get in the vehicle, they have to select the appropriate map they want to run and go from there. So, if running E85, for example, they would select that map and then start driving. Every time they enter the vehicle.

Sorry for the misinformation, as it was not my intent.
Circuit Motorsports (01-23-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #26
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
@Toyota GT 86 I would go with Delicious between the two, HOWEVER, I would suggest HRI Tuning above all else for an e-tune. E-tune NA = $300 & E-tune FI = $400 @ HRI (https://www.facebook.com/hrituning)

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #27
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
We charge $195 for custom tuning to our OFT customers. And I've been doing a lot of custom tuning work lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post

OFH + Grimmspeed intake
Sure.. just shoot an email to sales@openflashperformance.com and request a custom tune. The sales guys will pass the request along to me and I'll start the process with you soon thereafter.

Cheers
shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
We charge $195 for custom tuning to our OFT customers. And I've been doing a lot of custom tuning work lately.

Sure.. just shoot an email to sales@openflashperformance.com and request a custom tune. The sales guys will pass the request along to me and I'll start the process with you soon thereafter.

Cheers
shiv
before we do that, I assume we'll have to get my IAM and MAFV to read out correctly? (I'm the one who emailed you about it a few weeks ago)
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote