follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #29
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Mmmm... I can't quote you Black Tire

I had the rear sub-frame bushes replaced a while back (full bushes,not the inserts). I have thought about the front subframe brace but I hadn't read of any benefit so I hadn't pursued it. I had alloy steering rack mounts installed but I couldn't tell any difference.

I have considered these as well but once again have not read of any reviews.
http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec...r-s-gt86-ft-86

I might have to put that front brace on the shopping list but the law of diminishing returns and diminishing wallet have prevented me so far.
Since you already have done the rear subframe bushings, I think you should pursue your original analysis in the previous post.

The GTSpec braces look nice, but like you I have no experience with them. I'm sure my car was closer to stock than yours is when I added the Carbing front brace, but it made a bigger difference in the front end feel and grip than anything else I have ever done to this car.

Perhaps a rear trailing arm would help with the control at the rear as well. This would probably work if the "waggle" that you get is during hard acceleration. Here are two of the many available products of this type:

GTSPEC Rear Trailing Arms

Racer X Trailing Arms

I don't know if it's good or bad to be "unquotable."

Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #30
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,376 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Racer X Trailing Arms

I don't know if it's good or bad to be "unquotable."
Quote:
when I added the Carbing front brace, but it made a bigger difference in the front end feel and grip than anything else I have ever
done to this car.
*adds brace to shopping list*
RacerX trailing arms already done along with upper control arm bushes
Ha! You're now quotable for better or worse!

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 01-11-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: sending from my phone ia so tedious
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Black Tire (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #31
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,575 Times in 18,958 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #32
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Did you have these shock dyno'ed @Captain Snooze? and/or can find one? I've looked for one but I cant seem to find it.
I feel like we need atleast one rep from each of the big names on here that would help so much
Quote:
I have just emailed the distributor asking for dyno sheets and will post his reply.
"Hi B***,
I am well – thanks.
I can’t guarantee that I can get dyno graphs, but I will ask nicely and hopefully they will do them for you.
Regards,"

This is weird.
Graphs were not on my radar, they weren't part of the equation. Not a consideration but now that they have been brought to my attention I am hoping that I will get to see them too.

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 01-11-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: This is weird....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (01-11-2015), Ultramaroon (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #33
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Since you already have done the rear subframe bushings, I think you should pursue your original analysis in the previous post.
Do you know how big of a pain the stock subframe bushings are to get out? I'd like to run entirely new bushings over just inserts, but don't want to have to totally drop the subframe to press the old ones out and new ones in.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #34
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Do you know how big of a pain the stock subframe bushings are to get out? I'd like to run entirely new bushings over just inserts, but don't want to have to totally drop the subframe to press the old ones out and new ones in.
Good point! You're right. I paid to have my inserts installed, but I guess I didn't think about removing the old bushings. I'm sure it would have cost a lot more.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #35
DesertFrs

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series AVO Turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
I'm highly interested in the tuned ASTs that Mann engineering sells here in the states.
I have them on my FRS, I'm 45 min away. I love them! @DeliciousTuning is also a dealer for AST and those revalved by Mann Engineering.
AVO STG1 Turbo w/ 8PSI Actuator, AVO 3" Catless Turbo Back Exhaust, AVO Air Filter, ACT 6 Puck Clutch, DW65c Fuel Pump, 900cc DW Injectors, Grimmspeed EBC, Delicious Tuning Custom Tune, 0W-20 Purol, AEM Strutbar, GrimmSpeed Hood Struts, Mann Engineering Coilovers, RacerX UCA, Gram Lights 57Xtreme, 275/35/18 BfGoodrich G-Sport Comp2 Tires, MV Designz Aero Kit, Beatsonic Shark Fin & Roof Spoiler, Five Axis Trunk Spoiler, OEMAudioPlus Reference 400
Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #36
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

"Hi B***,
I am well – thanks.
I can’t guarantee that I can get dyno graphs, but I will ask nicely and hopefully they will do them for you.
Regards,"

This is weird.
Graphs were not on my radar, they weren't part of the equation. Not a consideration but now that they have been brought to my attention I am hoping that I will get to see them too.

The graphs are only as good as the driver being able to interpret them and apply them to a specific spring.

Even different brand springs need different damper valvings

It's why we have no issue publishing graphs; they're only a part of the equation that doesn't reveal a whole lot about the damper itself. It's akin to having a torque figure for an engine; you have no idea how much horsepower the engine makes.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #37
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The graphs are only as good as the driver being able to interpret them and apply them to a specific spring.

Even different brand springs need different damper valvings

It's why we have no issue publishing graphs; they're only a part of the equation that doesn't reveal a whole lot about the damper itself. It's akin to having a torque figure for an engine; you have no idea how much horsepower the engine makes.
Yeah, I appreciate that. That is, I understand that intellectually but my irrational side would like to see the graphs. I also understand why some damper manufactures are reluctant to post their graphs for the very reasons you have given. It might also be that the graphs show shit! lol

I think (I think) that it is a case of misplaced entitlement: "Well, I paid for them therefore I should see the graphs!"
Ultimately I will either like the dampers or I will not regardless of what the pictures say.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #38
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFrs View Post
I have them on my FRS, I'm 45 min away. I love them! @DeliciousTuning is also a dealer for AST and those revalved by Mann Engineering.
Hmmmmmm *taps fingers together in sequence*

I'm in redlands pretty frequently. Where in Riverside are you?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #39
DesertFrs

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series AVO Turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
Hmmmmmm *taps fingers together in sequence*

I'm in redlands pretty frequently. Where in Riverside are you?
I live in Palm Springs area, but moving to base area at the end of the month for a few months off 215xvan buren
AVO STG1 Turbo w/ 8PSI Actuator, AVO 3" Catless Turbo Back Exhaust, AVO Air Filter, ACT 6 Puck Clutch, DW65c Fuel Pump, 900cc DW Injectors, Grimmspeed EBC, Delicious Tuning Custom Tune, 0W-20 Purol, AEM Strutbar, GrimmSpeed Hood Struts, Mann Engineering Coilovers, RacerX UCA, Gram Lights 57Xtreme, 275/35/18 BfGoodrich G-Sport Comp2 Tires, MV Designz Aero Kit, Beatsonic Shark Fin & Roof Spoiler, Five Axis Trunk Spoiler, OEMAudioPlus Reference 400
Old 01-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #40
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFrs View Post
You can also contact Infamous Performance, being I do not have much time they can take care of answering questions about the suspension, setup, shock dyno charts, etc...

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
DesertFrs (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #41
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Graphs were not on my radar, they weren't part of the equation.
Its AST I dont expect anything short of greatness.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (02-02-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #42
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,273 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Shock dyno graphs are very useful. They don't tell the whole story for sure, but they can say quite a bit. You do have to know a little to interpret them correctly, but do your reading (maybe from more than just rando dudes on the internet) or talk to someone that can help you. At the very least you can give yourself an idea of what range of spring rates they can support.

I'll give another good example later about why shock dynos can be extremely helpful when it comes to comparing shocks. (in another thread)

I've had pretty good experiences with AST in the past and we used to sell quite a few of them. I'm sure the dynos are good for your 5200s, but I'd still like to see them.

Would I buy shocks without a shock dyno? Yes, depending on application. I never did dyno the Konis on my Mini but it's a street car and I have enough experience with Koni to know what to expect. I'm still curious, but whatever. For a coilover on a car that will see track time and I know I'll be considering swapping spring rates at some time, yeah I want to see a shock dyno. I trust Ohlins, I trust KW, and I trust JRZ, and I know they'll be great off the shelf and work well. But sometimes I need some data to work with if I want to get the most out of them.

- Andy

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 01-14-2015 at 03:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-14-2015), cdrazic93 (01-29-2015), SubieNate (01-18-2015)

Closed Thread