follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
448hpsti
In Test:Oil Fed SC

Drives: Vortech Prototype Test Car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I have the same issue with P0451. It happened after I disconnected the EVAP sensor to try the ECUtek boost control. the only way I got rid of it was by telling my tuner to disable it.

No other way around it so far...
There is surely better ways and your tuner should know this:

The circuit is seeking a resistor on the line. My failsafe method utilizes a relay and unless wired right, this causes this code and it tells me when my failsafe for my meth kit has activated, it happens anytime here is a break in the wires to my ebcs, which my setup does by design.

My car setup does this by design with my methanol injection kit, the solution is to place a resistor in lieu of the evap valve load (which is what the ecu is expecting on these wires whether you run a factory rom or ecutek)or the ebcs solenoid i use has the same exact load, both identical, if your ebcs is different that mine this may not apply, I run a Perrin pro unit.so...

My tuner and I decided it was smarter to leave the code enabled so I could know if there was a problem with my failsafe setup
... a dpdt relay is all the meth kit uses for this so you could rig it up if your tuner know how to use relays

I'm not a fan of perm disable of codes unless there is no other way, its a Less than ideal thing for a tuner to go disable all your codes and then when you have a problem, you're hunting in the dark!
Hope this helps

Curious what ebcs is causing this?
448hpsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 448hpsti View Post
There is surely better ways and your tuner should know this:

The circuit is seeking a resistor on the line. My failsafe method utilizes a relay and unless wired right, this causes this code and it tells me when my failsafe for my meth kit has activated, it happens anytime here is a break in the wires to my ebcs, which my setup does by design.

My car setup does this by design with my methanol injection kit, the solution is to place a resistor in lieu of the evap valve load (which is what the ecu is expecting on these wires whether you run a factory rom or ecutek)or the ebcs solenoid i use has the same exact load, both identical, if your ebcs is different that mine this may not apply, I run a Perrin pro unit.so...

My tuner and I decided it was smarter to leave the code enabled so I could know if there was a problem with my failsafe setup
... a dpdt relay is all the meth kit uses for this so you could rig it up if your tuner know how to use relays

I'm not a fan of perm disable of codes unless there is no other way, its a Less than ideal thing for a tuner to go disable all your codes and then when you have a problem, you're hunting in the dark!
Hope this helps

But the code is there connecting the stock EVAP solenoid. I'm not using EBCS anymore. All EBCS controls are removed from the tune.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
448hpsti

Quote:
But the code is there connecting the stock EVAP solenoid. I'm not using EBCS anymore. All EBCS controls are removed from the tune.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
That's odd, do you have a check valve on your PVC line like I do? Without knowing how your stuff is setup, putting the factory evap makes the code disappear forever on my car, so something is up, have you try another evap valve? My bet is on a wonky line, and or leak, unless something is connect oddly, you shouldn't have that code

My tuner leaves map1 oe, so no ebcs in that map, evap valve functions as normal if it were connected electrically. I actually plan to add a relay to my shit so in map1 my evap valve works for real on map1

Map 2 adds duty cycle changes for ebcs operation
No codes

When my meth kit sees a fault, too much flow or not enough, it reduces my boost by disabling ebcs

I'm curious if you return your boost and vacuum setup to oe if you still get a code

Itsvavpain but I did it, I disconnected and reconnect all my hoses to check for a leak and low and behold the clamp on the manifold side of my PCv check valve leaked, but only at 11psi and above causing a rich condition

@&$!?!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
That's odd, do you have a check valve on your PVC line like I do? Without knowing how your stuff is setup, putting the factory evap makes the code disappear forever on my car, so something is up, have you try another evap valve? My bet is on a wonky line, and or leak, unless something is connect oddly, you shouldn't have that code

My tuner leaves map1 oe, so no ebcs in that map, evap valve functions as normal if it were connected electrically. I actually plan to add a relay to my shit so in map1 my evap valve works for real on map1

Map 2 adds duty cycle changes for ebcs operation
No codes

When my meth kit sees a fault, too much flow or not enough, it reduces my boost by disabling ebcs

I'm curious if you return your boost and vacuum setup to oe if you still get a code

Itsvavpain but I did it, I disconnected and reconnect all my hoses to check for a leak and low and behold the clamp on the manifold side of my PCv check valve leaked, but only at 11psi and above causing a rich condition

@&$!?!
My PCV and Breather VTA. PCV is still the stock one. I should try a different EVAP solenoid, but have no access to one. I have not paid much attention to this as I was willing to completely disable it for ECUtek boost control.

Would definitely love the code to go away but have no clue.

I ran the EBCS with my las JV tune, but the tune itself still had no EBCS control stuff, it was just an open valve. I believe JV tune had the CEL disabled by default. Once I got FA20club tune (did not have CEL code disabled) is when I saw the CEL for the first time and has never gone away no matter that its connected exactly stock, hoses clamped, etc.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Drives: MT Raven FRS Lexus ES300 &Turbo tc
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Had? How did you fix it?
It's disable for now until I zip tie the lines.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
448hpsti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessblood View Post
It's disable for now until I zip tie the lines.
Does your post suggest this is due to a leak type thing then on the physical side of why its tossing that code ?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Quote:
Does your post suggest this is due to a leak type thing then on the physical side of why its tossing that code ?
I think it's a leak.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
448hpsti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessblood View Post
I think it's a leak.
As you Fi? It's easy to pressure test if you have access to a good air gauge and compressor you can access. I just swapped out my blower and have been doing nothing but leak tests of late. Let me know if you need help or pointers
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Quote:
As you Fi? It's easy to pressure test if you have access to a good air gauge and compressor you can access. I just swapped out my blower and have been doing nothing but leak tests of late. Let me know if you need help or pointers
I have the greddy turbo kit. I check everything this morning. I didn't see anything that would cause the P0451 code to pop up. I just reload my old tune this morning to see if the P0451 code will show up again, so far so good. I will contact you if I need any help.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #24
mrfish

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anybody figure out what was going on in these cases?

I had the CEL (P0441) and SL light come on last night after about the initial 100 miles of FI driving. All the Evap lines seem to be attached (I added hose clamps pre turbo install). I also have a check valve between the PCV and manifold.
mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #25
mrfish

I'm still battling this. Any suggestions.

1) I've added a check valve between the Evap purge solenoid and the manifold (allows flow to the manifold).
2) I've disconnected the Evap hose at the metal (fixed) line in the engine bay and blew through the hose toward the solenoid and manifold. With the solenoid/valve closed, no air goes through. When I trigger the solenoid with 12V, I can blow through it with slight resistance.
3) With that same line disconnected, I blew back toward the tank (via the fixed line), and air easily moved (and vented) to the back of the car.
4) Ironically, the vent valve (near the charcoal canister) actuated while I was testing this, and when the valve was on (vent closed), I could not blow through the vent anymore. I would feel the tank pressurizing, and then when I stopped blowing all that extra pressure came back out towards me.

After reading the factory service manual, all of these "tests" are passing... which doesn't leave me with very much more to try.

The code is triggered on a daily basis... which is quite annoying.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Did we get a fix for this?!?
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #27
mrfish

I haven't figured it out yet... although I stopped playing with it.

BTW a "gross leak" is actually defined as a very, very small leak in the service manual. I forget the actual spec, but a pin size hole would constitute a "gross leak". I suspect that is my problem at the charcoal canister output line junction (o-ring seems loose), but I haven't had the car smoke tested yet.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #28
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
I haven't figured it out yet... although I stopped playing with it.

BTW a "gross leak" is actually defined as a very, very small leak in the service manual. I forget the actual spec, but a pin size hole would constitute a "gross leak". I suspect that is my problem at the charcoal canister output line junction (o-ring seems loose), but I haven't had the car smoke tested yet.
P0441 pops up every so often for me as well. Used to happen once every couple days, then I had my gas tank lid tightened down with a special tool. Hadn't happened in a couple weeks since then, but just this morning it came back. Did you ever find out what was causing yours?
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote