follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #29
xRavenFRSx

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
Not taking price into account made this review completely pointless. If you're spending $12k more it's not really surprising to get more power and a nicer interior. The review could have actually been interesting if it was instead trying to answer the question of whether or not the BMW is good enough to justify the price premium over the FRS. (and not just the price to buy the car but the total cost of ownership as well)
This is not quite the type of review you think it was meant to be. If it was, i'd agree with you.
xRavenFRSx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xRavenFRSx For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #30
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
The CLA is FWD... I don't think it should be compared to a 2 series or any bmw for that matter

Nice review, I liked it!
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseE For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #31
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't understand...

I just don't understand the not taking price into account...

Of COURSE you have to take price into account, not taking price into account, just get a bugatti veyron or a mclaren mp4-12c, or a porsche spider 918...

They out perform all those other cars and are better driver's cars in every way..

If you're capable and you want a super car's performance on a budget... buy a camaro ss that's crashed and a previously stolen and stripped twin and put the entire camaro drive train in the Twin...

$8000 for a crashed camaro with working drive train, $6000 for a stripped frs with limited damage, 10-15K to make it all work together and some elbow grease...

9000 for an edelbrock e-force carb legal super charger... 600hp in a carb legal vehicle at less than 3000lbs, yeah....for a total of less than $50K...

That's the way to get a budget super car... shit you can then rebuild the entire interior and replace the rotors and pads with carbon ceramics from the z/28 and you're still in it for less than $60K...

The reason it doesn't happen more often is that most people who are capable of it, don't want to do one offs which are much easier (and cheaper) than trying to build a kit you can sell to others to make it easier for them and that raises the costs to levels that would make more sense to buy a more expensive sports car to begin with. basically a 1500-1700 lb lighter Z/28 lol...that's WITHOUT any additional weight reduction. I also jumped up the price at every step there if you didn't notice, fabbing yourself will make it even cheaper. It's possible to get out of this for less than $40K, or you can develop replacement body panels, wider body panels to allow for the wider rear end, front end with hemp, silk, or carbon fiber and STILL be in it for less than 60K..

But the key is being able to fab...That's what true tuning is all about though... not this let's pay a shop a 100K to turn a 27K car into a 25K car that's faster...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I just don't understand the not taking price into account...

Of COURSE you have to take price into account, not taking price into account, just get a bugatti veyron or a mclaren mp4-12c, or a porsche spider 918...
My article is solely for comparison between the BMW 228i MSport and Scion FR-S and the purpose of not taking price into account was to compare them as drivers cars. That is, the experience behind the wheel and nothing else.

If you want a tabloid review go read Car and Driver or Motortrend. Yes, I referenced $8000 not being a conversation-stop between the FR-S and 228i, however it is a bit different when you start scaling that to any price and any differential.

Do as you will couch cushion reviewers, I drove the actual cars over 1000 miles each and wrote this to provide informative entertainment for automotive enthusiasts.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (11-14-2014), DriveDriftDogfight86 (08-20-2016), Ganthrithor (12-31-2014), Jaden (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #33
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My response wasn't really so much to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
My article is solely for comparison between the BMW 228i MSport and Scion FR-S and the purpose of not taking price into account was to compare them as drivers cars. That is, the experience behind the wheel and nothing else.

If you want a tabloid review go read Car and Driver or Motortrend. Yes, I referenced $8000 not being a conversation-stop between the FR-S and 228i, however it is a bit different when you start scaling that to any price and any differential.

Do as you will couch cushion reviewers, I drove the actual cars over 1000 miles each and wrote this to provide informative entertainment for automotive enthusiasts.
My response was just more in general towards people who compare the cars and don't want to allow for mods and starting prices...

I wasn't really meaning that as a dig on your op...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #34
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Define "Drivers Car"

Because thats all subjective.

If your definition of a drivers car is eliminating everything that takes away from the act of "Driving" and the "feel of driving".

The OP is obviously way off and written by a BMW exec.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #35
Re~Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Define "Drivers Car"

Because thats all subjective.
Can't argue with that point, hence why its an article written from my perspective. I don't claim to speak for everyone. If you're trying to drum up a pointless online argument, find another internet evangelist to prod.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #36
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Not saying the OP was incorrect in the opinions made.

Just saying if the scale was based on a vehicle being a "driver's" car. Then some drivers like feeling every imperfection in the road and doesn't mind a rough ride.

Some driver's don't want to have knobs and lights everywhere and just want an on/off type of experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Rampage (12-30-2014), Tcoat (11-16-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 04:14 AM   #37
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Your girlfriend has very good taste in cars!
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #38
stonenewt

Drives: BMW 120d
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Gearbox

The two car's once again show their European and Asian roots in the gearbox. The FR-S has a snappy 6 speed shifter with short throws and a clutch pedal lacking real feedback. It's light and odd, but you do get used to it and are extremely thankful in stop-n-go traffic. 8/10

The 228i features a silky smooth shifter with mid length throws (too long for my taste), however the BMW clutch pedal is magic. Plenty of feedback and weight, just the way a clutch should feel in my mind. 7/10
I'm wondering if the OP actually drove the car or does the US gets a completely different gearbox & clutch assembly to the UK?

Every F2# 1er & 2er I've driven has got a positive but vague feel to it which gives you an impression of bulking & can lead to the occasional missed gear if you try to rush the change rather than letting the revs settle. On the clutch side of things while feel and weight is good the CDV makes smooth changes very hit & miss as well as making medium quick launches unnervingly jolty.
stonenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #39
Re~Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonenewt View Post
I'm wondering if the OP actually drove the car or does the US gets a completely different gearbox & clutch assembly to the UK?
Matter of perspective. While the throws are smooth, they are long and it lacks that 'click-click' type feel you get in an Toyota/Honda gearbox. The longer throws sometimes lend themselves to misshifts (i.e. going 2nd to 5th instead of 3rd).

Clutch pedal felt great to me, but I've only had the pleasure of driving manual in a few BMWs (M3, Z4M, 335i, 2 series) and a handful of other cars. Definitely upstages the FR-S, and you have to remember I am comparing the two cars directly...
Old 11-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #40
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The 228i is a nice little car. I drove one at the BMW experience thing on an autocross. It's a decent driving experience, but it's just not a joyous driving experience. The steering is just too numb. Certainly it's a better can than the FR-S in many ways, and definitely faster overall. That's just not why people buy the FR-S.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #41
normancw

Drives: 128i
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonenewt View Post
On the clutch side of things while feel and weight is good the CDV makes smooth changes very hit & miss as well as making medium quick launches unnervingly jolty.
I agree - I removed the CDV on every BMW I've had, the clutch is much better without it.
normancw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #42
GT86meMR2

Drives: MR Spyder/GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The 228i is a nice little car. I drove one at the BMW experience thing on an autocross. It's a decent driving experience, but it's just not a joyous driving experience. The steering is just too numb. Certainly it's a better can than the FR-S in many ways, and definitely faster overall. That's just not why people buy the FR-S.
A better car than the FT86 in what aspect? i drove a base 228I and compared to my GT86 the only thing i liked was the extra torque.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86meMR2 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (11-16-2014)