follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Has anyone used this BBK (Racingbrake)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RacingBrake-B...4acf2c&vxp=mtr

Any user experience? Performance on track? Pad selection?
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Currently on the @FRSport.com SCCA-competing BRZ.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
All 3 of their vendor threads have been locked. Shame because there was a ton of really good information there. Perhaps their vendor status is no longer active.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RacingBrake-B...4acf2c&vxp=mtr

Any user experience? Performance on track? Pad selection?

I'd be leary. There was a big problem in the E30 community with there rotors not standing up to track use. Specifically their Corrado rotors that were used in E30 BBKs.

I'd rather stick with AP/Wilwood, etc.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'd be leary. There was a big problem in the E30 community with there rotors not standing up to track use. Specifically their Corrado rotors that were used in E30 BBKs.

I'd rather stick with AP/Wilwood, etc.
No disrespect to OkieSnuffBox

but to @BRZZZZZZZZZZ

I say self-educate on the most specific cases/data you can find and go with that, not barely connected anecdotes from other products/platforms.

Note that people on this board have noted "issues" with Wilwood, Brembo, re-branded STI, and even AP setups for this platform. Most of those were either poorly selected components, incorrect installation, wrong application (track setups used as DD during winter) and/or first to market (bleeding edge) applications. That's not enough to make me hesitate to use any of those products in my FR-S either. Until RB issues are seen on this platform I don't think anecdotes of RB Corrado rotors (of all things) carrying enough weight to make any kind of buying decision.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
No disrespect to OkieSnuffBox

but to @BRZZZZZZZZZZ

I say self-educate on the most specific cases/data you can find and go with that, not barely connected anecdotes from other products/platforms.

Note that people on this board have noted "issues" with Wilwood, Brembo, re-branded STI, and even AP setups for this platform. Most of those were either poorly selected components, incorrect installation, wrong application (track setups used as DD during winter) and/or first to market (bleeding edge) applications. That's not enough to make me hesitate to use any of those products in my FR-S either. Until RB issues are seen on this platform I don't think anecdotes of RB Corrado rotors (of all things) carrying enough weight to make any kind of buying decision.

No disrespect taken and I agree completely. No company is spotless.

Merely pointing MY personal experience with the company. (Cracked rotors after two sessions on track, not heat checked, cracked through lucky to make it back to the pits) It became such a wide spread problem Racing Brake pulled back their recommendation that these rotors could be used for track work.
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
No disrespect taken and I agree completely. No company is spotless.

Merely pointing MY personal experience with the company. (Cracked rotors after two sessions on track, not heat checked, cracked through lucky to make it back to the pits) It became such a wide spread problem Racing Brake pulled back their recommendation that these rotors could be used for track work.
Sounds like RB did exactly what they should have in that given situation.

This is like the recent Raceseng pulley recall. They produced something that was causing a problem. They recalled the product, and continued to produce other great stuff. I have no problem buying and reccomending Raceseng either.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On the GolfMK6 forums, a member experienced near catastrophic failure with his Racing Brake kit: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42431

Quote:
Unfortunately for me I bought my kit directly from Racing Brake since they where just down the street from where I live. After emailing them the pictures they claimed it was abuse from racing and me over tightening my bleeder valves. However as I know the bleeder valves is another part of the caliper that is completely opposite from the crossover tube. In fact although I did have an issue with leaky bleeder valves I was able to get that fixed.

The crossover tubes on the other hand are never touched by me or my tech and is last touched in manufacturing... Which abruptly leaked out brake fluid.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
On the GolfMK6 forums, a member experienced near catastrophic failure with his Racing Brake kit: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42431
Ok, an anecdote about a completely different product on for a different make & model, with one side of the story linked from 2012.

The other side of the story is linked here... http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=865

What specifically does this have to do with current products for '86 platform? Has the same issue ocurred on an '86? What was RB's response?
Old 11-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
So far I haven't found much info, for the step up in price I am more inclined to go with the Stoptech 328X28mm kit I think.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
So far I haven't found much info, for the step up in price I am more inclined to go with the Stoptech 328X28mm kit I think.
What's the weight loss with that kit?

I was always happy with the Wilwood stuff I ran a few different BMW's and my early Miata, but I'm really interested in the AP Sprint kit for the BRZ.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Ok, an anecdote about a completely different product on for a different make & model, with one side of the story linked from 2012.

The other side of the story is linked here... http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=865

What specifically does this have to do with current products for '86 platform? Has the same issue ocurred on an '86? What was RB's response?
there were complaints about their products on golfmkv also when i used to read there 5+ years ago.

brake components are more altered for fitment for a given platform than necessarily re-engineering the product itself.

no company is perfect, but between the bmw and vw examples out there i'd personally be leery when there are other brands with generally stellar feedback.

Brakes are kinda important.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
there were complaints about their products on golfmkv also when i used to read there 5+ years ago.

brake components are more altered for fitment for a given platform than necessarily re-engineering the product itself.

no company is perfect, but between the bmw and vw examples out there i'd personally be leery when there are other brands with generally stellar feedback.

Brakes are kinda important.

ok so nothing specific about RB applications for this car, and... despite negative feedback on this board about Brembo, AP, Wilwood, and even the STi Brembo retrofit for this platform youre leery about the brand with no reported issues. Brilliant.