follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #99
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
it's ridiculous how chintzy subaru parts look next to manly toyota stuff. hopefully soon I'll be able to make a drawing / get a program done to spot, drill, cham, and spot face four new SHCS clearance holes on the back of the upright to make these LS400 hubs work.
One part goes on a 4000 lb luxo barge and the other goes on a 165 whp 2700 lb light weight sports car.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #100
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
One part goes on a 4000 lb luxo barge and the other goes on a 165 whp 2700 lb light weight sports car.
Toyota used the same axle splines on the X8 cressida, which is a ~150whp 3400lb best sports sedan that's not sporty ever goddamn made. I believe the rear outboard splines are the same on the SXE10 altezza which is pretty comparable to the FT86 (smaller diff, same trans) as well, but I'm too lazy to cross reference part numbers just to prove a point.

it's just that Toyota's parts bin is better than Subaru's, and we got ****ed when some bean counter decided to stop using Toyota parts at the rear diff and go with the less substantial Subaru axles and hubs. Toyota engineers are obsessive-compulsive about durability, and they make ridiculous requests to driveline suppliers (I have a friend who validates transfer cases at a supplier for various OEM's) because they want their shit to last basically forever, or at least 2x what any sane engineer would specify.

Last edited by SomeoneWhoIsntMe; 10-28-2014 at 12:10 PM.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #101
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Toyota used the same axle splines on the X8 cressida, which is a ~150whp 3400lb best sports sedan that's not sporty ever goddamn made. I believe the rear outboard splines are the same on the SXE10 altezza which is pretty comparable to the FT86 (smaller diff, same trans) as well, but I'm too lazy to cross reference part numbers just to prove a point.

it's just that Toyota's parts bin is better than Subaru's, and we got ****ed when some bean counter decided to stop using Toyota parts at the rear diff and go with the less substantial Subaru axles and hubs. Toyota engineers are obsessive-compulsive about durability, and they make ridiculous requests to driveline suppliers (I have a friend who validates transfer cases at a supplier for various OEM's) because they want their shit to last basically forever, or at least 2x what any sane engineer would specify.
Subaru's are typically AWD and mean they tend to have half the power output going through a given hub of a traditional RWD platform. They went with Subaru hubs to make the use of Subaru parts that had already been engineered. The OEM's only care that their parts support the amount of power they provide with the car. We didn't get fucked. We got a great car at a great price that is mostly Subaru.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #102
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Subaru's are typically AWD and mean they tend to have half the power output going through a given hub of a traditional RWD platform. They went with Subaru hubs to make the use of Subaru parts that had already been engineered. The OEM's only care that their parts support the amount of power they provide with the car. We didn't get fucked. We got a great car at a great price that is mostly Subaru.
Toyota designs stuff with a greater safety factor than Subaru, and you have to concede that picking parts off the shelf that were designed for AWD cars then using them in a RWD-only application with all the torque going to them was probably an oversight.

I totally understand that that kind of corner cutting is what it takes for Subaru to keep churning out cars that are jacks of all trades and masters of none at bargain basement prices, I owned a somewhat heavily modded WRX once upon a time. And I mean, you're arguing semantics here. You say the axles are adequate for 165whp and stock ride height, I say they're twigs. You're probably right.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #103
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Toyota designs stuff with a greater safety factor than Subaru, and you have to concede that picking parts off the shelf that were designed for AWD cars then using them in a RWD-only application with all the torque going to them was probably an oversight.

I totally understand that that kind of corner cutting is what it takes for Subaru to keep churning out cars that are jacks of all trades and masters of none at bargain basement prices, I owned a somewhat heavily modded WRX once upon a time. And I mean, you're arguing semantics here. You say the axles are adequate for 165whp and stock ride height, I say they're twigs. You're probably right.
"All the torque", haha. It is clear you haven't driven a BRZ. There is no torque going through those rear hubs and axles when compared to a turbo STI. They work perfectly fine in a stock application. Sure they could have made each hub and axle twice as beefy and weigh twice as much. Is that worth the extra cost and additional weight for a car with 200 whp and 150 ft-lbs.

I don't want you to think I am a Toyota hater or a Subaru apologist. I owned a 2010 Tundra and it worked perfectly for me for 105,000 miles, and I am sure some things were over engineered like the brakes which I never even had to change the pads in those 105,000 miles. The only Subaru I owned was my BRZ, and it gave me 26,000 miles of flawless enjoyment including putting down 265 ft-lbs of torque through those unsafe Subaru hubs and axles.

The facts are that you are installing a 2JZ and plan to put down tons of torque. Things are going to need to be upgraded to handle it. That isn't a downside to the Subaru though.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #104
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

@King Tut I'll admit I'm far from objective, and I have a strange love-hate relationship with Subarus, as anyone that's spun a rod bearing, shredded a 5MT, and had to replace multiple wheel bearings on an '02 WRX should. Like I said, I understand why the car is made the way it is, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to talk shit about it
Old 10-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #105
mkivalex

Drives: 13 Scion FRS, 93 JDM Toyota Supra
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Don't you think you should address the structural integrity that has most likely been compromised due to the fire before stuffing an engine in?
mkivalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #106
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
@King Tut I'll admit I'm far from objective, and I have a strange love-hate relationship with Subarus, as anyone that's spun a rod bearing, shredded a 5MT, and had to replace multiple wheel bearings on an '02 WRX should. Like I said, I understand why the car is made the way it is, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to talk shit about it
I hear you on those things. I am still an admin in the local Subaru club, and the rate at which those guys blow motors is insane. Just because you can tune it to 300 whp or 400 whp, doesn't mean it is a good idea. Plenty of guys upgrading from 5 speed to 6 speeds or installing PPGs in 5 speeds as well. I have also seen plenty of EJs blown at the track which was a major factor in why I have yet to own a WRX or an STI.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #107
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivalex View Post
Don't you think you should address the structural integrity that has most likely been compromised due to the fire before stuffing an engine in?
Don't you think I should make sure the engine and trans fits and get all the parts ordered and fabricated before I get it blasted, caged, and painted?

edit: I also still have yet to hear a convincing argument that an E85 fire in the bay will have gotten hot enough to have much of an effect on the strength of mild steel, especially considering mild steel hardly takes a heat treat, even if you're trying. it's not like stitch welding a chassis with a MIG fucks the surrounding metal forever and totally ruins the car, and you're putting a hell of a lot more heat into the steel doing that.

Last edited by SomeoneWhoIsntMe; 10-28-2014 at 03:30 PM.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #108
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

super close, but I'm not sure there's enough meat in the subaru upright to drill new holes. bummer.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #109
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This thread is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vividracing For This Useful Post:
akahenry (10-30-2014), SomeoneWhoIsntMe (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #110
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Holy shit. In for this. I love this type of build!

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #111
v12

Drives: none =[[
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
photos are like on purpose made to look old
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #112
Ginzhos

Drives: 93 civic si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a feeling the new Lexus RC F should have a beefy rear end suspension that might be a direct bolt on. The Lexus RC F looks like supped it up Frs/Brz, and it has a v8 which means upgraded suspension.
Ginzhos is offline   Reply With Quote