follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #85
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTeator View Post
I pushed my agent of 14 years on this very hard and he assured me it would be that amount. I found it hard to believe, but we'll see.
That's good then... I guess that's as legit as it will get at this point. Being on this side of insurance, I'll check the insurance companies' databases periodically to see if they've set specific rates for the FR-S/BRZ.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #86
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
Id like to know USAA rates as well as thats my insurance i have now. Can i just call and give engine size/body style for a quote? Because i tried the VIN and no dice.
Yeah, I did not have a VIN# as well, but the representative I spoke with bypassed the systems and she put it in as a Scion with 2 door coupe, 4 cyl, etc.. yadda yadda it's safe lol... and that's what she quoted me at. But, like someone said above, it might change once the car is actually in the system, or underwriters get their grubby little hands on the paperwork.

When I had my STi I told the lady it was an "Impreza" and left it at that, and full coverage was only $100 a month back when I was 23 lol
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #87
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
I hate insurance companies. Story time!

When I was 18 I was headed to the bar with 3 friends. A guy leaving the bar (in his 30s) smashed into the side of my vehicle.

He wasn't drunk or anything. It was just the winter time and he slid on ice straight into me, I saw him sliding so I tried braking too but I slid as well because of the black ice and he smacked into the side of my car really badly.

The guy said he had a body shop and he could fix up my car for me but it was pretty bad and it was the first time (and hopefully last) I was ever in an accident so I was really unsure about things so I thought I'd play it safe and do it by the book.

Cops came. Had us sit in the back of the cop car together and the guy admitted it was 100% sure his fault, so there wasn't really that much talking to do.

The cop said because it happened in a parking lot even though the driver said it was completely his fault that the blame would likely be 50/50. I was pissed but what could I say? I was still kind of in shock, banged the left side of my head pretty hard and I figured if those were the rules, those were the rules.

Fast forward to the following week, I'm sitting in the insurance office and I'm told my car is a write-off. The frame is bent so it's a goner. Then the woman tells me that I'm 75% my fault.

Talk about a fucking bitchslap to the face. She looked at me like I was 18 and stupid and I'm lucky it wasn't 100% my fault. I was so irate. Still can't believe it to this day. It still gets my blood boiling.

Moral of the story. Insurance companies SUCK!
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enemies For This Useful Post:
whateatsrabbits (09-14-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #88
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemies View Post

When I was 18 I was headed to the bar with 3 friends. A guy leaving the bar (in his 30s) smashed into the side of my vehicle.

He wasn't drunk or anything. It was just the winter time and he slid on ice straight into me, I saw him sliding so I tried braking too but I slid as well because of the black ice and he smacked into the side of my car really badly.

The guy said he had a body shop and he could fix up my car for me but it was pretty bad and it was the first time (and hopefully last) I was ever in an accident so I was really unsure about things so I thought I'd play it safe and do it by the book.

Cops came. Had us sit in the back of the cop car together and the guy admitted it was 100% sure his fault, so there wasn't really that much talking to do.

The cop said because it happened in a parking lot even though the driver said it was completely his fault that the blame would likely be 50/50. I was pissed but what could I say? I was still kind of in shock, banged the left side of my head pretty hard and I figured if those were the rules, those were the rules.

Fast forward to the following week, I'm sitting in the insurance office and I'm told my car is a write-off. The frame is bent so it's a goner. Then the woman tells me that I'm 75% my fault.

Talk about a fucking bitchslap to the face. She looked at me like I was 18 and stupid and I'm lucky it wasn't 100% my fault. I was so irate. Still can't believe it to this day. It still gets my blood boiling.

wow, that's messed up man. If you think about it logically, you pay them money every month to "back you up" and for her to blame you, then jack your rates up... how dare them...
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #89
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm not saying that this was involved here, but this is also why cheaper isn't always better. You have to look at insurance companies' ratings. I'm with Amica because they're rated #1 (I believe USAA is, too, but their membership is restricted), and they've always been good to me and my family.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #90
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:

They suck when things don't go your way, but you will love them when they pay out on your claim. But that story is unfortunate. But when the cop already says it might be 50-50 (and not 0-100), then I think that should've been an indication that it might not go how you want it to go when a cop is already telling you that when they have no actual involvement in your insurance claim outside of writing incident reports. So maybe it's also on the cop too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
wow, that's messed up man. If you think about it logically, you pay them money every month to "back you up" and for her to blame you, then jack your rates up... how dare them...
Just like how some states in the U.S. have varying regulations and coverages (no-fault, personal injury, etc.), there might be unusual situations in Canada (where that poster is located) that might not work in his favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
I'm not saying that this was involved here, but this is also why cheaper isn't always better. You have to look at insurance companies' ratings. I'm with Amica because they're rated #1 (I believe USAA is, too, but their membership is restricted), and they've always been good to me and my family.
That's only part of the strategy though. A lot of times, you might just get a really horrible claims adjuster who screws you over, which makes you assume that the whole company is bad when in actuality they may be one of the best.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #91
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Insurance is a bit odd in Canada. I'm not sure if it's just certain provinces or every province but in BC where I am now you need to get Basic Insurance through one company... ICBC. You can get extended insurance through another company but I never have. I've always done everything just through one company. I probably won't this time around.

In Manitoba (where the accident happened) I was insured under MPI I think... Not sure if that's what it was called then but it looks like that's it now. And yeah, it's quite possible I just had an adjustor who was a bitch.

One thing that always crossed my mind is the guy who hit me had an Autobody shop in a small city of about 10,000 people. The same city that the accident happened in. The same city that the insurance claim was dealt with in. Slight conflict of interest there perhaps... At the time I just assumed maybe it was because I was 18 and the guy was in his 30s.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #92
bslag

Drives: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'm getting a BRZ...but had carrier (AAA) run a FR-S VIN to get an idea of what mine is going to be.

Was quoted $533/6mo (roughly $89/mo) - currently $514/6mo for 2009 Lancer GTS.
28/male
Over 10mi to work
1 ticket (1-25 over)
Multi-car, AAA Membership discount ($221/6mo savings)

Bodily Injury Liability $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident
Property Damage Liability $100,000 per accident
Uninsured Motorists $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident
Underinsured Motorists $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident
Collision Actual Cash Value / $1,000 deductible
Comprehensive Actual Cash Value / $1,000 deductible
Rental Reimbursement $30 per day / $750 maximum per accident

Last edited by bslag; 05-04-2012 at 11:36 AM.
bslag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #93
BlueRed

Drives: Toyota
There are lot of insurance out there. I suggest you get a car insurance with cheaper rates but with best deals and coverage.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #94
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
Id like to know USAA rates as well as thats my insurance i have now. Can i just call and give engine size/body style for a quote? Because i tried the VIN and no dice.
Yes, you can do that, I did that initially and it cam close to what I ended up with today.

I just redid it with my VIN about 10 minutes ago. Full coverage, $250 deductible is $81.00 per month for me as primary driver.

Married, 2 teenage drivers, wife, all clean records. USAA does reduce the price for teenage drivers on other cars as long as they have an "assigned" car, but still raises the price on all cars in case the "borrow" it.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #95
nathanR

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Erie Insurance
12 month policy
35yr old male. No tickets. No accidents. 2 Drivers on policy
2010 MazdaSpeed3 (full coverage) and 1993 Nissan NX2000 (liability only)
50/100/50
50/100
1000 medical
$500 deductibles
price: $919 for 12 months

Adding the FRS (3 vehicles) brings my rate to $1506 for 12 months. ($49 extra a month for the FRS)
Replacing the NX2000 with the FRS (2 vehicles) brings my rate to $1274 for 12 months (around $106/month with 2010 MS3 and 2013 FRS)

Last edited by nathanR; 06-27-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: (edit) tl;dr adding an FRS to my existing policy raises my rates $49 a month.
nathanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #96
DeeezNuuuts83

^ One thing with NC policies -- make sure that your UMBI of 50/100 also includes UIMBI (which is often a separate coverage).
Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #97
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
replacing the Miata with my new FR-S increased my policy by $40 per month. D`oh. :|
But atleast Im insured properly now, I suppose.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #98
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Liberty Mutual Insurance
32 year old male, no tickets, no accidents. My wife is also on the policy.
Discount through my employer applied
Liability: $100k/$300k/$100k
Medical Payments: $25k
Uninsured Motorist: $100k/$300k
Collision: $250 deductible
Comprehensive/; $100 deductible
Rental car: $30/day, $900 per accident

$647.00 / year
$323.50 / 6 months