follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
Churnobyl

Drives: 2014 Limited Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveSaint5 View Post
Update: So I just got back from the dealer. Arrived at 9 AM and just got home. 5 minutes ago (11:10). They couldn't duplicate the problem so sadly nothing was done. However, on my 35 minute drive home from the dealer, I didn't have any grinds. What's to stop it from happening in the future again anyways... They told me to come back when it's a constant issue.

EDIT: Just got back from the T-Mobile store around 10 minutes ago at 1:55 PM. Felt grinding again at only 3rd gear. Seems to happen when I push her a little bit aggressively. Will do more testings.
Rave go test it some tomorrow, I bet it only happens above a certain RPM. that seems to be the best way to replicate it. Find that spot, then go make the tech replicate your testing, it will be like 5k or 4500 and up something like that. basically when you drive the car at all its an issue.
Churnobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #16
RaveSaint5

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (White)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churnobyl View Post
Rave go test it some tomorrow, I bet it only happens above a certain RPM. that seems to be the best way to replicate it. Find that spot, then go make the tech replicate your testing, it will be like 5k or 4500 and up something like that. basically when you drive the car at all its an issue.
It does it after I drive semi-aggressively. After that, it'll stay like that til the car has been cool for a couple hours. I just figured that out today. I haven't noticed it yet when I baby it. And I also notice that if I shift from second to neutral, leave it in neutral for about a second, then shift to third, it barely does any grind if at all. But it's very annoying doing that.
RaveSaint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #17
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Blue series owner here as well. I had the same issue but somehow went away after I change oil/fluid. My 2nd would grind no matter wut if I shift below 4k, It occurred from 1500 mile to 3k (till i change oil) don't try to baby it after change oil and see if it goes away. If not then report to dealer.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #18
RaveSaint5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Blue series owner here as well. I had the same issue but somehow went away after I change oil/fluid. My 2nd would grind no matter wut if I shift below 4k, It occurred from 1500 mile to 3k (till i change oil) don't try to baby it after change oil and see if it goes away. If not then report to dealer.
Which oil did you change? Engine oil or tranny fluid?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
cookiesowns

Drives: WRB BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was getting really bad clunks and chunks from the shifter in 2nd-3rd yesterday. Then it went away.

Usually I get the "clickchunk" when going from 2nd, 3rd's always does that since I got the car. Apparently swapping a stiffer spring somewhere in the mechanism helps that. But the 2nd gear one eh. It's almost as if the gearbox is hesitating to get into gear, even though you don't feel the gate resistance as if you weren't rev matched. I think it seems to happen when the clutch gets warm. ( sitting in stop/go traffic, slipping clutch more than usual ) In the morning, it's great!

Already have Motul 300V in it. It does make the gearbox more solid in shifting feel IMO vs the regular fill. You feel more of the gearbox, without getting too much notchy ness. Feels great when your rowing through the gears spiritedly but not aggressively.
cookiesowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Which oil did you change? Engine oil or tranny fluid?
Both, I switch engine oil to Eneos Sustina first at 3000 then change transmission oil to motul about 500 mile later. But my gear grind went away as soon as I changed engine oil, just got the Motul to be safe. Highly recommend Eneos Sustina since it's super easy to get them from any Napas unlike the Motuls
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
RaveSaint5 (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm confused... How could a brand new BRZ have this worn syncros issue?

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
RaveSaint5 (10-17-2014), stugray (10-20-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #22
RaveSaint5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
I'm confused... How could a brand new BRZ have this worn syncros issue?
I have not 1 clue.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #23
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
I have not 1 clue.
I don't mean to put you on the spot, but are you sure that your clutch is all the way engaged before shifting? Each different brand of car with a manual transmission has a clutch that may respond uniquely... I know there have been times in the past where I was to blame due to driver error. After I adapted and learned the clutch and shift engagements, the grinding had been limited greatly.

Of course, I could be incorrect. You would know your driving pattern and car best.

Texas BRZ
Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #24
RaveSaint5

Quote:
I don't mean to put you on the spot, but are you sure that your clutch is all the way engaged before shifting? Each different brand of car with a manual transmission has a clutch that may respond uniquely... I know there have been times in the past where I was to blame due to driver error. After I adapted and learned the clutch and shift engagements, the grinding had been limited greatly.

Of course, I could be incorrect. You would know your driving pattern and car best.
Yes I'm sure lol. I even slammed the clutch pedal a couple times just to make sure it's not me.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #25
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Yes I'm sure lol. I even slammed the clutch pedal a couple times just to make sure it's not me.
I see. Well, you may have to convince / prove to your service advisor on a second go around. As long as he or she can clearly see the issue and duplicate it consistently...

Good luck.

Texas BRZ
Old 10-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #26
RaveSaint5

Quote:
I see. Well, you may have to convince / prove to your service advisor on a second go around. As long as he or she can clearly see the issue and duplicate it consistently...

Good luck.
It's not consistent, but it's enough. I mean I won't be able to take them out for 30 minutes to show them but, if I could, they would know that it had to be solved.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #27
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
It's not consistent, but it's enough. I mean I won't be able to take them out for 30 minutes to show them but, if I could, they would know that it had to be solved.
I've had multiple warranty claims in my past vehicles, and you'll have a better chance if the problem is more clear and evident... Otherwise you may have to wait until the issue develops further to prove your case. This is just worst case scenario if your SA can't manage to get the claim passed.

Texas BRZ
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
RaveSaint5 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #28
subieshanerz

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe try to get it on video so you can show them? I know it's not like them experiencing it, but better than nothing?

Tags
clutch, issue, shifting