follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So i guess 225 will be the best fit for the stock wheel width? Im sure it will be enough if everybody is praising this car for its grip even with econo skinny tires. I might pick up some 8 inch wide enkeis so i can go wider though.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
It frustrates me when people speak when they have no experience over something.
agreed. not sure where you were trying to go with this, though, since you clearly have no idea what experiences i have and do not have. nice try, though.

back on topic, if you want to run a 235 section width, you would probably want to use a 40 aspect ratio, not a 45.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
agreed. not sure where you were trying to go with this, though, since you clearly have no idea what experiences i have and do not have. nice try, though.

back on topic, if you want to run a 235 section width, you would probably want to use a 40 aspect ratio, not a 45.
+1

...and I agree that 235/40 would be more reasonable to attempt to fit on the OEM wheel than a 235/45. I have an old used-up 245/40 Hoosier R6 that I might try to test fit to see if it would work for stock class.

Perhaps the Federal tire is good for the track at which you run, but I have not seen anyone with Federals in the paddocks I frequent. I also wrongly assumed that someone with track days in a C63, S14, and having all the other cars listed in your sig would be looking for so much savings on their tires, so I apologize.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
+1

...and I agree that 235/40 would be more reasonable to attempt to fit on the OEM wheel than a 235/45. I have an old used-up 245/40 Hoosier R6 that I might try to test fit to see if it would work for stock class.

Perhaps the Federal tire is good for the track at which you run, but I have not seen anyone with Federals in the paddocks I frequent. I also wrongly assumed that someone with track days in a C63, S14, and having all the other cars listed in your sig would be looking for so much savings on their tires, so I apologize.
I am a track whore and a cheap bastard so i try to save where i can
suaveflooder (02-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had an 02 Spec-V with stock 17x7's. It came with some 215 45 17 Continental Conti Sport Contacts (CCC) and they sucked for autocross. I switched to 225 35 17 Kumo Ecsta MX's and those things were awsome. They of course only lasted about 4000 miles but were great in Auto X and my 60 ft time went from 2.2 to 1.9 with a very small burnout.
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I have ran 2 sets of these tires on my c63 and 1 set on my 240sx and i have ran nt-05's as well. I track my cars every month since i am a member at my local track and i have had no problems with the federals, they seem to perform the same as the nittos except they last longer and are cheaper. If they can handle a 3700 pound car they should have no problems with a 2600 pound car.

It frustrates me when people speak when they have no experience over something.

Since im buying this car as a track only car meaning it will be stored in my garage at at my local track i need to save money as much as i can since i will be tracking it at least once or twice a month meaning i go through a set of tires every 2 months or sometimes less. I am not competing profesionaly so i dont care if they give me .2 seconds of a lap slower than higher and more expensive tires.
Quote:
I am a track whore and a cheap bastard so i try to save where i can
youre going to catch heat here because you claim you are going to buy a brand new 25k car as a dedicated track car and store it in a garage but dont want to spend an extra couple bucks on tires. there is no way around that being silly. if you really want to save money just buy a used spec miata and a trailer full of rcomps. you will have a faster more engaging car for a fraction of the price and when you crash, you will be out 7k and not 25k. a person spending that kind of money on a hobby shouldnt have to ask questions like this
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (04-28-2012), Dimman (04-29-2012), Mr.Jay (04-30-2012), nibor33 (05-02-2012), Subie (04-28-2012), tree fingers (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #21
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
youre going to catch heat here because you claim you are going to buy a brand new 25k car as a dedicated track car and store it in a garage but dont want to spend an extra couple bucks on tires. there is no way around that being silly. if you really want to save money just buy a used spec miata and a trailer full of rcomps. you will have a faster more engaging car for a fraction of the price and when you crash, you will be out 7k and not 25k. a person spending that kind of money on a hobby shouldnt have to ask questions like this

Save an extra couple of bucks? I said i might go though a set every month or so, thats $490 for federals vs $980 for R888'S thats a $490 dollar difference. My garage space at the track costs 200 so just using federals would pay for my garage plus i would have money left over for oil changes and brakes. Why would i want to spend 490 dollars more on tires if i am not competing in anything? I am just running the car for fun, if i can get the same smile on my face running federals vs r888's, i run them on my c63's stock wheels and they work great at the track i have a blast then i drive home in my invos. And for your comment on getting a miata, i cant fit in a miata with a helmet im too tall thats why i did not buy one, and i have a trailer. I want a newer car that i can have fun in over and over and will never give me problems. BTW i have gone off track quite a bit and no damage has ever been done to my cars other than a flat tire and a cracked lip.

I used to run a 500whp EVO X with full suspension upgrades, r compounds, cage etc the whole build cost me over 25k. Was it fast? Yup. Did i beat nearly all the cars that went to my local track? yup . 500WHP is hard on a car and it would break down every now and then and it was expensive to fix, i figured i did not need a fast car to have fun when i drove one of the mazda 2 instructor cars and they are cheap to run. My reason with getting the FR'S is a car i can rely on mechanically and i will only have to play with suspension , and safety equipment to have fun in it. So its my same argument with the tires why spend 490 dollars more every month or two when i can have the same fun for less? When i drift my 240sx i try to find the cheapest and easiest to find tires to destroy, why would i slap michelin tires or more expensive ones if i am drifting for pleasure not to win a contest plus el cheapo riken tires will do great for drifting.

Do me a favor and go buy a set of federals and try them out you will be surprised what 490 bucks will get you, im not saying they are as grippy as r compounds but they will do the job perfectly specially on such a light car.

Here is my garage and where my frs will be stored after she is broken in and stripped.

Last edited by track_warrior; 04-29-2012 at 02:55 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #22
fatoni

Quote:
Save an extra couple of bucks? I said i might go though a set every month or so, thats $490 for federals vs $980 for R888'S thats a $490 dollar difference. My garage space at the track costs 200 so just using federals would pay for my garage plus i would have money left over for oil changes and brakes. Why would i want to spend 490 dollars more on tires if i am not competing in anything? I am just running the car for fun, if i can get the same smile on my face running federals vs r888's, i run them on my c63's stock wheels and they work great at the track i have a blast then i drive home in my invos. And for your comment on getting a miata, i cant fit in a miata with a helmet im too tall thats why i did not buy one, and i have a trailer. I want a newer car that i can have fun in over and over and will never give me problems. BTW i have gone off track quite a bit and no damage has ever been done to my cars other than a flat tire and a cracked lip.

I used to run a 500whp EVO X with full suspension upgrades, r compounds, cage etc the whole build cost me over 25k. Was it fast? Yup. Did i beat nearly all the cars that went to my local track? yup . 500WHP is hard on a car and it would break down every now and then and it was expensive to fix, i figured i did not need a fast car to have fun when i drove one of the mazda 2 instructor cars and they are cheap to run. My reason with getting the FR'S is a car i can rely on mechanically and i will only have to play with suspension , and safety equipment to have fun in it. So its my same argument with the tires why spend 490 dollars more every month or two when i can have the same fun for less? When i drift my 240sx i try to find the cheapest and easiest to find tires to destroy, why would i slap michelin tires or more expensive ones if i am drifting for pleasure not to win a contest plus el cheapo riken tires will do great for drifting.

Do me a favor and go buy a set of federals and try them out you will be surprised what 490 bucks will get you, im not saying they are as grippy as r compounds but they will do the job perfectly specially on such a light car.

Here is my garage and where my frs will be stored after she is broken in and stripped.

to avoid a wall of text i think ill just make a bunch of bullet points
-the cost of tires in comparison to the extra $2x,xxx you are spending on a car isnt a lot of money
-when you say money left over for brakes do you mean upgrade or replacing pads?
-if the federal street tires are only lasting a month, they probably suck
-if you just want fun, why are you wanting to go widest tire possible? all that will do is take away the feel and responsiveness that the car can offer in the first place
-if you dont fit in a race prepped miata, you wont fit in a stock frs so before you talk about the frustration of people commenting on things they dont know...
-nobody cares about your evo
-picking a car with virtually no aftermarket or tuning experience for the track is stupid
-were not talking about drifting your 240, we are talking about racing your frs
-grip is grip. it doesnt matter how light the car. if your federals grip, rcomps or star specs (or any decent street tire) will grip better
-dont ask for advice if you dont want it

im sure theres more but im at work and dont really want to get into it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Cameronghanson (11-04-2012), Dimman (04-29-2012), NESW20 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #23
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
to avoid a wall of text i think ill just make a bunch of bullet points
-the cost of tires in comparison to the extra $2x,xxx you are spending on a car isnt a lot of money
-when you say money left over for brakes do you mean upgrade or replacing pads?
-if the federal street tires are only lasting a month, they probably suck
-if you just want fun, why are you wanting to go widest tire possible? all that will do is take away the feel and responsiveness that the car can offer in the first place
-if you dont fit in a race prepped miata, you wont fit in a stock frs so before you talk about the frustration of people commenting on things they dont know...
-nobody cares about your evo
-picking a car with virtually no aftermarket or tuning experience for the track is stupid
-were not talking about drifting your 240, we are talking about racing your frs
-grip is grip. it doesnt matter how light the car. if your federals grip, rcomps or star specs (or any decent street tire) will grip better
-dont ask for advice if you dont want it

im sure theres more but im at work and dont really want to get into it
-I mentioned the evo and the 240sx as examples as to why going cheap provides the same amount of fun, ive learned the hard way. And it seems its the only way to make you understand that I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT BEING THE FASTEST CAR AROUND MY LOCAL TRACK IM DOING IT FOR FUN SINCE IVE SAID IT ABOUT A MILLION TIMES IN THIS THREAD.

- I do fit on an frs head room is what kills me in the miata i cant fit with my helmet with the top on, im 6'3. I sat at my local subaru dealer on a brz with a helmet and i clear the roof perfectly so stop commenting on stuff you dont know man.

- I asked advice for tire size not your personal envy or critics on a tire brand.

- ON YOUR QUESTION REGARDING BRAKES Yes i mean pads and even a brake upgrade since i wont go through pads every month.

- I doubt Going two sizes up on tire size take away the responsiveness of the car it will provide more grip if anything.

- ON YOUR QUESTION ON WHY BUY A 20+K CAR FOR TRACK + NO EXPERIENCE : What part of its my money and i can do what ever i want part dont you understand? Ive always wanted an frs for track and i have the means to do it, that also means i can put what ever brand tire i want. What are you talking about no aftermarket parts? cusco just released a ton of parts plus its only a matter of months before they start selling more and more parts this is the most anticipated tuner car of 2012 , im not in a rush time is on my side plus the car is pretty much ready to enjoy the track as it is so i can start seeing what needs to be upgraded, man it seems the one with no experience here is you thinking about upgrading a car you have not even driven yet.

- Im not saying i will need a set a month its just a calculation on how much i will be saving , some months i go 2-3 times to the track so i finish a set in that month , sometimes i only go once on a month so the tires will last me longer. BTW you are talking to me like if its my first time tracking a car ive ran nittos & hankooks on my c63 and they wear quicker than the federals.

-Who the hell told you i want more grip? you are just assuming on your own read carefully ( I DO NOT CARE HOW MUCH FASTER I CAN RUN ON R COMPOUNDS STAR SPECS ETC I WANT CHEAP TIRES SO I CAN RUN HER AS MUCH AS I WANT AND HAVE FUN THATS IT NO LAP TIMES ETC JUST PURE FUN i ASKED ABOUT A TIRE SIZE NOT YOUR PERSONAL OPINION ON A TIRE BRAND OR WHAT I CAN OR CANT DO WITH MY MONEY )

EDIT:

Judging by how you compose your self on this forum trying to argue or contradict where ever you can, I would suggest you take your hatred elsewhere and get lost ok bud?

Last edited by track_warrior; 04-30-2012 at 01:34 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
fatoni

Quote:
-I mentioned the evo and the 240sx as examples as to why going cheap provides the same amount of fun, ive learned the hard way. And it seems its the only way to make you understand that I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT BEING THE FASTEST CAR AROUND MY LOCAL TRACK IM DOING IT FOR FUN SINCE IVE SAID IT ABOUT A MILLION TIMES IN THIS THREAD.

- I do fit on an frs head room is what kills me in the miata i cant fit with my helmet with the top on, im 6'3. I sat at my local subaru dealer on a brz with a helmet and i clear the roof perfectly so stop commenting on stuff you dont know man.

- I asked advice for tire size not your personal envy or critics on a tire brand.

- ON YOUR QUESTION REGARDING BRAKES Yes i mean pads and even a brake upgrade since i wont go through pads every month.

- I doubt Going two sizes up on tire size take away the responsiveness of the car it will provide more grip if anything.

- ON YOUR QUESTION ON WHY BUY A 20+K CAR FOR TRACK + NO EXPERIENCE : What part of its my money and i can do what ever i want part dont you understand? Ive always wanted an frs for track and i have the means to do it, that also means i can put what ever brand tire i want. What are you talking about no aftermarket parts? cusco just released a ton of parts plus its only a matter of months before they start selling more and more parts this is the most anticipated tuner car of 2012 , im not in a rush time is on my side plus the car is pretty much ready to enjoy the track as it is so i can start seeing what needs to be upgraded, man it seems the one with no experience here is you thinking about upgrading a car you have not even driven yet.

- Im not saying i will need a set a month its just a calculation on how much i will be saving , some months i go 2-3 times to the track so i finish a set in that month , sometimes i only go once on a month so the tires will last me longer. BTW you are talking to me like if its my first time tracking a car ive ran nittos & hankooks on my c63 and they wear quicker than the federals.

-Who the hell told you i want more grip? you are just assuming on your own read carefully ( I DO NOT CARE HOW MUCH FASTER I CAN RUN ON R COMPOUNDS STAR SPECS ETC I WANT CHEAP TIRES SO I CAN RUN HER AS MUCH AS I WANT AND HAVE FUN THATS IT NO LAP TIMES ETC JUST PURE FUN i ASKED ABOUT A TIRE SIZE NOT YOUR PERSONAL OPINION ON A TIRE BRAND OR WHAT I CAN OR CANT DO WITH MY MONEY ) I suggest you take your hatred elsewhere on the forum and get lost ok bud?
-have you sat in a miata with an al seat bolted to the floor without the rear mounting humps? there is plenty of headroom. ive seen plenty of people your size and bigger use one. all i did was a foamectomy and im 6'2" "stop commenting on stuff you dont know man."
-going to a tire that has that much sidewall and using a rim smaller than recommended is going to kill the responsiveness. when you go through the motions, you pick a tire size and go with the widest wheel possible not the other way around
-the part i dont understand is that you came here and asked us what we thought. when we told you, you argued it. do what you want but im pretty sure that its the forums opinion that its stupid
-why do you want wider tires if not for more grip? other than grip, weight and sidewall flex are the only things you gain

i guess what im trying to say is that if you want to save your money go ahead. if you want to spend a shit load, go ahead. using wider cheaper tires is not going to make the car more fun. if you want fun dont go wider and cheaper, invest in properly sized tires and a solid alignment. im sure the majority of people will agree with that.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #25
fatoni

Quote:
Yup but they are grippy plus you cant beat the price. I think they will have enough grip for a car this light plus they are dirt cheap.
maybe this is where i got the notion that you were interested in grip
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #26
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The contradiction of wanting an affordable track vehicle yet dropping close to $30k on a dedicated track vehicle adds to the confusion...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #27
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
-have you sat in a miata with an al seat bolted to the floor without the rear mounting humps? there is plenty of headroom. ive seen plenty of people your size and bigger use one. all i did was a foamectomy and im 6'2" "stop commenting on stuff you dont know man."
-going to a tire that has that much sidewall and using a rim smaller than recommended is going to kill the responsiveness. when you go through the motions, you pick a tire size and go with the widest wheel possible not the other way around
-the part i dont understand is that you came here and asked us what we thought. when we told you, you argued it. do what you want but im pretty sure that its the forums opinion that its stupid
-why do you want wider tires if not for more grip? other than grip, weight and sidewall flex are the only things you gain

i guess what im trying to say is that if you want to save your money go ahead. if you want to spend a shit load, go ahead. using wider cheaper tires is not going to make the car more fun. if you want fun dont go wider and cheaper, invest in properly sized tires and a solid alignment. im sure the majority of people will agree with that.
Quote:
Yes i have, two friends have spec miatas with seats welded to the floor i still rub the roof plus i did not like the visibility from being so far down to the floor plus i found the seats uncomfortable.

Quote:
I came here and asked for the best advice for tire size for tracking the FRS since i thought some people may have one by now and could provide some feedback. I did not come here to get an opinion on what i should buy or what you think about a tire brand

Quote:
I think we have a very different idea on what fun means. To me it means going around a track with a smile on my face i dont think im lewis hamilton tearing up the track, i do it for fun. This does not mean i wont use my stock tires for the first time, i will use them but when it comes time to replace them i want to know what is an ideal size for this car i did not come here stating that 235 is the correct size i asked if that would be fine you are assuming i have my mind set on a 235 i am open to suggestions on tire size yes. And of course i will be playing with the alignment i always do that with my cars.

Quote:
maybe this is where i got the notion that you were interested in grip
I think you got the wrong idea since i was just saying they are grippy compared to other brands or oem tires.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
The contradiction of wanting an affordable track vehicle yet dropping close to $30k on a dedicated track vehicle adds to the confusion...
This is coming from a person who probably has little to no track experience since your closest racetrack is in washington? Trust me i lived in Vancouver and know there is not a race track nearby.

30K for you buddy i live in the US more like 27.5 out the door for me. It might confuse you but im here to make it stick through your thick head i asked for tire size advice not Brand Advice. I bet the closest you have ever come to r compounds or a race track is super street magazine.
suaveflooder (02-28-2014)