follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #7449
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
You see this is nice. This is constructive and appreciative. (Maybe not the first paragraph) but if you try to help instead of being such a negative nancy maybe people would listen more.

I actually think you know a decent amount about cars Freddy but the way you put people down in this thread is not helpful. (Myself included towards you)

Why not try to help others without being a jerk about it and maybe more people would listen.

Sometimes I overreact to being called names like moron, negative nancy and jerk. I'm working on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
It's actually the transition between CL to OL. One way to get around it is targeting richer on both side of the transition.
Run full time close loop will work as well but needs wideband and ecutek atm, and speed density/boost based fueling could work also.

These Denso ECUs are too slow to transition from CL to OL, especially when boost kicks in quickly. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the CL target AFR could not be changed. If possible, this is a great solution. I really like the idea of running CL all the time and simply changing the target AFR to suit conditions. I believe that Porsche does it this way. Anyway, I imagine that several of the resident tuners have this well figured out by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
No worries. People sometimes get sensitive to a little sarcasm and overreact. You may not be meaning to, but you do leave some pretty good fuel for the fire in your commentary too

People just need to learn to laugh it off. After all, we're on the internet. Nothing serious happens here.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of a drive with the ESC -- hope you do end up taking him up on the offer!

Fan the flames? Who, me?

Peace.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:19 AM   #7450
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Drives: 2009 Sti Hatch; 2015 Audi RSQ3
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
These Denso ECUs are too slow to transition from CL to OL, especially when boost kicks in quickly. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the CL target AFR could not be changed.
There's a host of tables available to control this transition, and yes, you can alter closed loop AFR.
Td-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:17 AM   #7451
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Td-d View Post
There's a host of tables available to control this transition, and yes, you can alter closed loop AFR.
CL Delay Throttle A Counter Threshold
CL Delay Engine Speed B Counter Threshold

These two tables are what I could find in terms of the actual delay counters. It's my understanding that if you zero these out, the ECU then simply checks your current open loop fuel map cell against Minimum Active Primary Open Loop Enrichment to figure out whether to transition to open loop or not. I'm basing this off of mad_sb's post here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30418 His tables are different as he's using BRZEdit in that post though, so maybe we can't actually do this unless all of those same tables are defined in RomRaider and I'm just not seeing them.

On the subject of full-time closed loop though: What's to keep you from setting that minimum enrichment value to lower than the lowest value on your fuel map? That alone should prevent the transition to open loop completely, because that check is the last step in the process. If you were to then modify CL Fueling Target Compensation A/B (Load) to mirror your open loop fueling, you should be left with a system that stays in closed loop and targets the right AFR all the time. Is there anything particularly unsafe about trying this? Or any gotchas in terms of fueling limits in closed loop defined elsewhere?

(This is just me thinking aloud basically, so please correct me if I'm wrong in any of my assumptions here.)

Related question: Why aren't there corresponding tables for BRZEdit's Closed Loop AFR A/B in RomRaider?

Last edited by PantsDants; 09-14-2014 at 04:47 AM.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #7452
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Wideband bro.
As for the map not showing, just not in your def yet. Td-d is the best man for that.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #7453
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post

These two tables are what I could find in terms of the actual delay counters. It's my understanding that if you zero these out, the ECU then simply checks your current open loop fuel map cell against Minimum Active Primary Open Loop Enrichment to figure out whether to transition to open loop or not. I'm basing this off of mad_sb's post here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30418 His tables are different as he's using BRZEdit in that post though, so maybe we can't actually do this unless all of those same tables are defined in RomRaider and I'm just not seeing them.

Related question: Why aren't there corresponding tables for BRZEdit's Closed Loop AFR A/B in RomRaider?
They are there - just defined differently as additive (CL fueling target compensation, Load) - which is how they are actually represented in the rom.

These are the CL delay tables that are available:

CL to OL Transition with Delay (Accelerator)
CL to OL Transition with Delay Throttle Hysteresis
CL to OL Transition with Delay (Base Pulse Width)
CL to OL Transition with Delay BPW Hysteresis
CL Delay Minimum (ECT)
CL Delay Maximum Engine Speed (Neutral)
CL Delay Maximum (Throttle) (Low Atm. Pressure)
CL Delay Maximum (Throttle) (High Atm. Pressure)
CL Delay Maximum Engine Speed (Per Gear)
The Following User Says Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
PantsDants (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #7454
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Td-d View Post
They are there - just defined differently as additive (CL fueling target compensation, Load) - which is how they are actually represented in the rom.

These are the CL delay tables that are available:

CL to OL Transition with Delay (Accelerator)
CL to OL Transition with Delay Throttle Hysteresis
CL to OL Transition with Delay (Base Pulse Width)
CL to OL Transition with Delay BPW Hysteresis
CL Delay Minimum (ECT)
CL Delay Maximum Engine Speed (Neutral)
CL Delay Maximum (Throttle) (Low Atm. Pressure)
CL Delay Maximum (Throttle) (High Atm. Pressure)
CL Delay Maximum Engine Speed (Per Gear)
Thanks for the explanation on the closed loop fueling maps. Obviously, adding or subtracting from stoichiometric accomplishes the same thing as setting the absolute AFR, I was just curious as to why it was defined differently between the two platforms.

As for the CL-to-OL transition maps, I was talking specifically about the counter threshold tables. I wasn't sure if all of the thresholds from the link I posted were defined in some fashion in my rom (A01D) or not.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #7455
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post
Thanks for the explanation on the closed loop fueling maps. Obviously, adding or subtracting from stoichiometric accomplishes the same thing as setting the absolute AFR, I was just curious as to why it was defined differently between the two platforms.

As for the CL-to-OL transition maps, I was talking specifically about the counter threshold tables. I wasn't sure if all of the thresholds from the link I posted were defined in some fashion in my rom (A01D) or not.
Sure, just a different scaling, that's all.

On the counters, there is actually a third counter CL_to_OL_Delay_ which is an overriding counter. I don't think I've defined for the roms, but easy enough to add.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #7456
aw113sgte

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What is the turbo housing that's used? Does it have any info on the nameplate? If not, any guesses as to it's size?

I'm trying to make a setup for my S2000, but none of the electric motors can get even close to the RPM requirements of a properly sized turbo. Makes me wonder how this issue is resolved.
aw113sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #7457
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post
What is the turbo housing that's used? Does it have any info on the nameplate? If not, any guesses as to it's size?

I'm trying to make a setup for my S2000, but none of the electric motors can get even close to the RPM requirements of a properly sized turbo. Makes me wonder how this issue is resolved.

If you don't get any answers here, you might get better luck in the opensource thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41148

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #7458
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
If you don't get any answers here, you might get better luck in the opensource thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41148

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good call. I don't think Rob is going to start giving away years of R&D for just any ol' reason. Who knows? The open source thread is probably a better place for questions like this.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #7459
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Or just order a kit from Rob and customise the kit 2 suit?

Rob isn't just using of the shelf parts, he's machining compressors etc.
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gums For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-15-2014), raven1231 (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #7460
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thats the bit of magic behind what it took to make this system, and why it would be so hard to reproduce independantly. You need to source, extremely custom made motors, to spin as fast as possible and not blow-up. You need a custom made compressor housing, and a custom made air impeller, that is properly matched to the custom made motor. Then you need to have the electronics "Know" to design a custom made, very high powered controller for this DC brushless motor. You need to have the knowlege of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, fluid dynamics, and be willing to get a little dirty trying out countless variations of this thing to make it all work. You would have to design and spec out all of these things to companies willing to make them for you. It would also help if you had a lot of machining tools available to do things that nobody else would fool around with.

That's what's so awsome about Rob's TQ250, right now! If there are any minor hicupps to work out yet, most of them are in making it dummy proof to install. The fact is, mines been running flawlessly for 9 months now, and thats a major triump of engineering!

How many competitors have show-up so far? This stuff is hard to do well, and Rob's work is truly pioneering.
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silent runner For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-15-2014), enwave (09-16-2014), Gums (09-16-2014), WNDSRFR (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #7461
JoonPrime

Drives: 2015 Limited series all white brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
hey sorry guys im a bit of a novice, when it says WOT, i understand it means wide open throttle, or "pushing it to the limit" i guess i could say right?

but how is it activated then? ive read via a switch but the videos ive seen never shows anything, unless each videos just recorded with a switch already activated? :P

and also this rob guy must be pouring out these models, i msged him a few days ago and no reply at all, must be quite busy at the moment !
JoonPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #7462
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It's a small mechanical switch that bolts below the accelerator pedal. It clicks on when the pedal is 95% to the floor.

Sounds silly but it's dead simple to install, or adjust, and it works on any car.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive