follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
FRSChris13

Drives: Scion FR-S Pearl White 2013 Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission Grinding and fuel pump noises

I took my FRS to Toyota yesterday (November 29, 2013) for the following two reasons.

First, I was having problems shifting into any gear since I got my car. (I bought my car used, with 8,000 miles on it.) Downshifting from sixth to fifth was always a really big problem, getting the car into reverse in the morning was just a no go, and the common second gear notchy-ness was un bearable, sometimes even impossible to get the car into second. I have put almost 2,000 miles on the car since I have had it and have taken it back to the dealership numerous times for this issue. Yesterday they finally took the transmission out and clutch assembly to find a worn out throwout bearing, and possibly the clutch is bad too...

Second, the fuel pump is having the chirping / cricket issue and the mechanic that is working on my car says that the newest revision of the pump is fixed. He also has an FRS and has had this pump in his car for over 1,000 miles and no noises yet, (crossing my fingers) so hopefully this is it.

All of this is being covered under warranty and I have a rental from the dealership.

I will keep you guys up to date with the progress.

As written on the work order:

"Customer states transmission feels notchy going into 2nd, 5th, and reverse"
"Customer states the fuel pump is noisy"
FRSChris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSChris13 View Post
I took my FRS to Toyota yesterday (November 29, 2013) for the following two reasons.....

"
Hello FRSChris13 and welcome to our happy forum ....

Hopefully, your car, with new clutch and related pieces, along with a new fuel pump, will settle it down so you can get on with some driving fun .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
LavosTRD
Toyota Master Tech

Drives: Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Talking

Lol welcome Chris. I am the one working on your car actually. Your pump is in and after looking at the clutch disc closer it appers fine. I am a little curious about the pressure plate, but I won't know until I get a new one in whether what I am finding is normal or not. Learned something new this morning when I called the Subaru dealership across the street that Exedy makes the OEM clutch, not the case with Toyota clutches. The throw out bearing is definitely trashed, horrible design IMO. I'm going to see what I can find/do about the trans on Monday. Your in good hands
LavosTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LavosTRD For This Useful Post:
flippy (09-15-2014), humfrz (11-30-2013), mfbmike (12-01-2013), niceguy21 (12-01-2013), Tcoat (09-15-2014)
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
FRSChris13

Thanks!!! Glad to get an update from the tech himself! Check your PM!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
wow now that's customer service!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
FRSChris13

Yes, absolutely!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Halcyon Whisper

Drives: GTS86 Man - Pegasus White (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavosTRD View Post
Lol welcome Chris. I am the one working on your car actually. Your pump is in and after looking at the clutch disc closer it appers fine. I am a little curious about the pressure plate, but I won't know until I get a new one in whether what I am finding is normal or not. Learned something new this morning when I called the Subaru dealership across the street that Exedy makes the OEM clutch, not the case with Toyota clutches. The throw out bearing is definitely trashed, horrible design IMO. I'm going to see what I can find/do about the trans on Monday. Your in good hands
Lavos, I am curious to see what it is about the throw out bearing you don't like. I have heard a few cases of late about them melting (so on so forth typical forum trawling)

It would be good to hear from someone who is hands on with it.
Halcyon Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
LavosTRD
Toyota Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon Whisper View Post
Lavos, I am curious to see what it is about the throw out bearing you don't like. I have heard a few cases of late about them melting (so on so forth typical forum trawling)

It would be good to hear from someone who is hands on with it.
It appears that the inner and outer races for the roller bearing are intentionally built with an insane amount of free play. When its moved all the way over to one side of the race, it no longer spins true. As well as the plastic sleeve used to slide on the input shaft has a bit of slop in it as well. When I was looking at Chris's Clutch disc, Exedy has a little plastic "ring" that is between the center splines and the rest of the clutch, that too has a bunch of free-play. I am wondering if its a case of tolerance stacking, which is why it seems that the shifting/trans issues are so hit or miss...
The Following User Says Thank You to LavosTRD For This Useful Post:
Halcyon Whisper (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Halcyon Whisper

Drives: GTS86 Man - Pegasus White (soon)
Quote:
It appears that the inner and outer races for the roller bearing are intentionally built with an insane amount of free play. When its moved all the way over to one side of the race, it no longer spins true. As well as the plastic sleeve used to slide on the input shaft has a bit of slop in it as well. When I was looking at Chris's Clutch disc, Exedy has a little plastic "ring" that is between the center splines and the rest of the clutch, that too has a bunch of free-play. I am wondering if its a case of tolerance stacking, which is why it seems that the shifting/trans issues are so hit or miss...
So I take it:

1) Inconsistent shifting - some days fine, some days feels as though clutch is not disengaged (Test using stationary 1st gear repeated shifts with clutch held in)

2) Rattle - In neutral, usually when cold, can hear a faint rattle that disappears when pressure is applied to clutch, and reappears when clutch fully released

Can be attributed to this then?

I would thank your post but cannot as yet =S.
*Edit* Ok.. so I just hit 10 posts =D
Halcyon Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
LavosTRD
Toyota Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon Whisper View Post
So I take it:

1) Inconsistent shifting - some days fine, some days feels as though clutch is not disengaged (Test using stationary 1st gear repeated shifts with clutch held in)

2) Rattle - In neutral, usually when cold, can hear a faint rattle that disappears when pressure is applied to clutch, and reappears when clutch fully released

Can be attributed to this then?

I would thank your post but cannot as yet =S.
*Edit* Ok.. so I just hit 10 posts =D
As far as the noise, I highly suspect the throw out bearing based on your description. The shifting issue, I'm not sure. I know on my car (10/2012) the only shifting issue I have is the typical 2nd gear "crunch" when its cold outside (below 65* i would guess) but goes away once the gear oil gets up to temp. I know based off this forum there was a bad batch of transmissions that led to higher gear grinding.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
FRSChris13

UPDATE: Got my car back today! Fuel pump is quiet, yay!!! The clutch feels better!!! Shifting feels exactly how it should! Thanks, LavosTRD!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSChris13 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-12-2013), YMAA (12-13-2013)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
marinjim

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Firestorm recd 5/31/12
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So the question is Toyoburu using a different throw out bearing now? I'm having mine replaced under warranty soon, but if it is the same unit I'm doomed...

Firestorm Red MT FR-S received 5/31/12 at 11 AM Novato Ca. Novato Scion, so long 1993 Lexus SC300 MT, you served me well for 18 years
marinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
Djratrap

Drives: BRZ CSB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinjim View Post
So the question is Toyoburu using a different throw out bearing now? I'm having mine replaced under warranty soon, but if it is the same unit I'm doomed...
I'm trying to have my throwout bearing replaced, but the dealer is telling me it's only covered by my basic warranty 36k (which i'm out of). Are you sure it was the power train warranty that you used for the throwout bearing?
Djratrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #14
marinjim

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Firestorm recd 5/31/12
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djratrap View Post
I'm trying to have my throwout bearing replaced, but the dealer is telling me it's only covered by my basic warranty 36k (which i'm out of). Are you sure it was the power train warranty that you used for the throwout bearing?
99% sure. Just call corporate Scion and ask them what the power train portion of the warranty covers. Even if work is complete corporate ultimately pays and would, hopefully, go to the dealer on your behalf. Also get the area Scion rep involved.

Firestorm Red MT FR-S received 5/31/12 at 11 AM Novato Ca. Novato Scion, so long 1993 Lexus SC300 MT, you served me well for 18 years
marinjim is offline   Reply With Quote