follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #1443
Orisai

Drives: Hyundai ix45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
There are only two stereo channels for amp output (Left and Right) plus one subwoofer out. This may complicate things if you are running 4 amplified speakers. I supposed you could always use an RCA splitter to create dual left and rights and balance them with the gain on the amp, but it seems like a work around.
Wrong...

Each stereo sound channel is comprised by a pair of RCA connectors (red and white), and each channel is comprised by two speakers (left and right), so you can have your 4 amplified speakers (front and rear pairs of speakers).

As for the subwoofer, being it a monoaural speaker, you don't need two RCA outputs to run it. You can use a "Y-splitter" or just one of the RCA channels for the subwoofer and set the gain accordingly.

Quote:
The iPod support sucks. The app is terrible. It doesn't even read playlists off of your iPod. Truth be told, at least a third of the time I need to reboot the head unit just to play the iPod.
Neither Ca-Fi nor Android's fault Apple forces their own retarded proprietary stuff instead of standard, widely used audio and data interfaces such as AUX and USB.

Quote:
Torque and bluetooth OBDII dongles. It is not always automatic and half the time you'll be going into settings to manually search for the OBDII dongle.
Common issue about bluetooth devices. I'd use a USB OBD-II scanner if I were you. They're way faster and you can leave them plugged with no battery drains like bluetooth scanners.

Quote:
The Bluetooth mic is built into the front of the head unit. I've been told that this mic is harder to make out than the old pioneer headliner mounted mic. As far as I can tell, there is no mic input on the rear of the deck to allow an external mic to be hooked up.
You can ask them to add an external mic jack on the headunit's back when you buy yout unit.

Quote:
The audio will mute when you put the car in reverse (if you have a backup camera). I've played with the setting to stop it from muting, but regardless of if it's on or off, it will mute when you put the car in reverse.
Have you upgraded the firmware recently? It might be a software issue.

Quote:
The Glare is terrible. I have 35% tint all around and if the sun is behind me, I can't see anything on the screen.
I agree on this, but you can use an anti-glare screen protector. Most capacitive screens have this issue too, including those of mobile phones and tablets.

Quote:
With all that being said, I like the head unit overall but if it didn't let me use Torqu, I probably would switch to something else.
Are you using Ca-Fi's OBD-2 bluetooth scanner, or a generic one from eBay? Torque may not work with chinese generic/clone adapters.
Orisai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:03 AM   #1444
bwthor

Drives: gray
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Disable CarHome

The last time I got a version with CarHome disabled, I did a check of all the files, and the only one that was changed was factory.prop, and the line ro.carhome.plug=aTFRUfxByEGVtZUFjdGl2fxByEXR5fxByE was removed.

I tried it on this update, and it worked too.

At your own risk...
On the downloaded update, modify the factory.prop file located in update-->images-->manufactorycfg
Remove the line ro.carhome.plug=aTFRUfxByEGVtZUFjdGl2fxByEXR5fxByE
Save and flash.
Worked for me, but YMMV...

Now to get root working. Anyone try Towelroot?
bwthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #1445
bwthor

Drives: gray
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The audio will mute when you put the car in reverse (if you have a backup camera). I've played with the setting to stop it from muting, but regardless of if it's on or off, it will mute when you put the car in reverse.
There is a setting under Settings-->Sound to set your reversing volume. By default it is set to zero. So there are two spots, the one I just mentioned, then the one to mute if in reverse.
Quote:
The Glare is terrible. I have 35% tint all around and if the sun is behind me, I can't see anything on the screen.
Are you getting full brightness from the screen? I'm curious if you have your headlight linkage wiring correct? The unit in my opinion the screen is plenty bright, and I don't think I've ever thought the glare was too bad.
bwthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #1446
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orisai View Post
Wrong...

Each stereo sound channel is comprised by a pair of RCA connectors (red and white), and each channel is comprised by two speakers (left and right), so you can have your 4 amplified speakers (front and rear pairs of speakers).

As for the subwoofer, being it a monoaural speaker, you don't need two RCA outputs to run it. You can use a "Y-splitter" or just one of the RCA channels for the subwoofer and set the gain accordingly.

Neither Ca-Fi nor Android's fault Apple forces their own retarded proprietary stuff instead of standard, widely used audio and data interfaces such as AUX and USB.

Common issue about bluetooth devices. I'd use a USB OBD-II scanner if I were you. They're way faster and you can leave them plugged with no battery drains like bluetooth scanners.

You can ask them to add an external mic jack on the headunit's back when you buy yout unit.

Have you upgraded the firmware recently? It might be a software issue.

I agree on this, but you can use an anti-glare screen protector. Most capacitive screens have this issue too, including those of mobile phones and tablets.

Are you using Ca-Fi's OBD-2 bluetooth scanner, or a generic one from eBay? Torque may not work with chinese generic/clone adapters.
You sure about that?

There's a left and right audio output. Am I missing something because I read your reply as there are a front l/r and a rear l/r set of outputs. Also, I'm aware that a subwoofer is a mono channel

I've tried both the CaFi dongle and the elm dongle. Both will randomly not show up as connected. I don't drive around with Torque on my screen so it's not the end of the world, it's more nitpicking than anything.

I installed the latest firmware tonight so we'll see if any of the other niggles work themselves out.

@bwthor I didn't realize there was a second setting. Thanks for pointing it out
Old 09-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #1447
BlkR

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
so noone has had problem with bluetooth streaming to one speaker only ?
BlkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #1448
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkR View Post
so noone has had problem with bluetooth streaming to one speaker only ?
No problem here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #1449
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orisai View Post
Wrong...

Incorrect. One channel = one single RCA connector (red for right, white for left). The Dashlinq4 has only one set of stereo line-out jacks, and a mono subwoofer output, as shown in Protpibe's post.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #1450
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I wiped stereo and Wi-Fi still won't come on. Guess I'll Fla flash update and see what happens

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #1451
DC2R

Flashed newest update and Wi-Fi is back.
Removed CarHome line from prop file and replaced partition file with one posted here.Going to flash now and if all goes well work on root

Old 09-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #1452
DC2R

No luck with root. Tried old method. Tried installing other version of root my anu.(wouldn't install apk). Tried towel root with no luck....

Old 09-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #1453
SilverlightPony

Someone remind me, how long does it usually take to flash an update? And how long should it sit there saying "Target device is <somethingsomething>" before visibly doing something else?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #1454
DC2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
Someone remind me, how long does it usually take to flash an update? And how long should it sit there saying "Target device is <somethingsomething>" before visibly doing something else?
should only take about two minutes. trust me i just flashed 4 times.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #1455
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
I had the same problem. You need to make sure the update folder Is the only file on the sd card, otherwise it just sits there and says target device
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #1456
SilverlightPony

Quote:
I had the same problem. You need to make sure the update folder Is the only file on the sd card, otherwise it just sits there and says target device
Actually, it was a bad SD card. I swapped it with another one with the same contents (system "Update" folder and the MCU update file) and it started moving immediately.