follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #1415
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyone who uses hotspot on their phone for this unit and has an android phone with wireless charging should check out the DIY I just posted:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...79#post1940179
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathalo For This Useful Post:
DC2R (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #1416
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
FYI Will said the new update will be coming out this week, and they said Friday on their Facebook.
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #1417
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
if you listen to any asian music(like i do) then it's possible that any of the asian characters that are in the playlist are causing problems. i had to rename all my files with asian characters in them so that poweramp would play them right. although i guess at this point you've already moved on. but still useful info! :P
Nope, that's not the problem. I've talked with 3 or 4 people, including PowerAmp support, with no luck.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #1418
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
Nope, that's not the problem. I've talked with 3 or 4 people, including PowerAmp support, with no luck.
weirdddddd, but you found a solution anyway so no biggies.

also for anyone else still reading... i'm still trying to sell my unit if anyone is interested.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #1419
petr

Drives: Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have not heard of any issues like this with PowerAmp. Try PowerAmp (there's a 15-day free trial, but you have to download the APK from PowerAmp's website and install it manually); if it does what you want, then buy it.

Due to the odd issues I've had getting PowerAmp to read my playlist files correctly, I use Rocket Player instead. Not quite as nice of a UI as PowerAmp, but it's an excellent second choice.
Yep, it seems it was some Aimp's issue, PowerAmp works just fine besides idiotic interface and lack of autoplay on start feature.
Thanks
petr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #1420
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Interested in getting one of these, but don't have time to read through 65 pages (although if I did, I would! Getting married next week). To those who have this, is it worth $500? Anything you wish it does that it doesn't do? I'm between this an a nexus 7 build. I really like the physical buttons on this HU, so leaning towards this. How's the audio quality vs stock? How bad is screen glare? Does screen dim with headlights?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #1421
Halesyeah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely worth it. Although it was close to $600 with shipping I think. Nothing I can think of that it doesn't do. Just software things when I bought mine like the small partition for apps, but that seems to have been fixed. I haven't had time to update mine yet.
Trying to use a Nexus 7 is not worth the cost savings to me. I had one installed in my BMW this summer and it would shut itself down when the car got hot and with no access to the physical buttons it was a pain to restart it. Volume control was another issue.
Audio quality is better than stock. At least for the BRZ.
Screen glare is not bad at all, though my windows are tinted.
And yes the screen dims with the headlights.
Halesyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #1422
arvidj

Drives: '93 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yet another "Would it be able to do this?" question ...

I have a 2015 FRS with the low end radio. I don't listen music when I drive so that functionality is not an issue. My goals, in order, are:

To retain my current "hands free phone" functionality.

To have Torque Pro application display information that I am interested in. I assume this would be thru the OBD-II -> Bluetooth connectivity that I am currently using with my Nexus 7.

To have the Valentine 1 Bluetooth V1connection and the associated Android application display information, possibly concurrently with the Torque Pro information.

To have backup video display when the car is in reverse.

To, on occasion, display GPS information even though the car did not originally come with a GPS antenna and will not have internet connectivity for mapping information.

Is this in the realm of possibility or is this a list of functions that will not play well with one another or have system related resource constraints?

Thanks,
Arvid
arvidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #1423
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
I have a 2015 FRS with the low end radio. I don't listen music when I drive so that functionality is not an issue. My goals, in order, are:
I'll take these one at a time.

Quote:
To retain my current "hands free phone" functionality.
Check.

It doesn't use the factory mic, but it has one built in. I believe you can request Innotrends to add an external jack to connect the factory mic when you order, but I haven't had any trouble with the one built into the unit.

Quote:
To have Torque Pro application display information that I am interested in. I assume this would be thru the OBD-II -> Bluetooth connectivity that I am currently using with my Nexus 7.
Check.

It's also possible to get an OBDII-to-USB cable and connect it, which sometimes allows for higher polling rates and less latency, but Torque Free works well enough with the Bluetooth OBDII adapter I got from Amazon.

Quote:
To have the Valentine 1 Bluetooth V1connection and the associated Android application display information,...
Not sure on this one, but probably.

Quote:
...possibly concurrently with the Torque Pro information.
Less likely, but I can't rule it out entirely.

Quote:
To have backup video display when the car is in reverse.
Check.

Camera sold separately, but it works with most aftermarket reverse cameras.

Quote:
To, on occasion, display GPS information even though the car did not originally come with a GPS antenna and will not have internet connectivity for mapping information.
Check. GPS antenna included; mine's wedged between a cable bundle and the underside of the center A/C vents; I plan to get some double-sided foam tape and stick it to the underside of the vents properly at some point.

There are a few GPS Navigation apps available for Android that can download and store maps locally, so a data connection is not required while driving. I've seen Waze get a lot of positive comments here.

Quote:
Is this in the realm of possibility or is this a list of functions that will not play well with one another or have system related resource constraints?
The only likely hitch I see is the ability to have both Torque and Valentine info on screen simultaneously. Like I said, I can't rule it out, but Android generally isn't built for simultaneous multitasking.
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
arvidj (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #1424
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halesyeah View Post
And yes the screen dims with the headlights.
Did any of the updates fix the issue where the ambient lighting on the unit's buttons stayed on after the car is off if you have the auto-screen dim function enabled?
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #1425
TilesMeague

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RIP cd player
Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #1426
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I have an iPod touch that I keep in the glovebox, wired into the head unit. The iPod player that comes with the deck is terrible. What other app will accept an iPod being plugged in?
Old 09-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #1427
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
I have an iPod touch that I keep in the glovebox, wired into the head unit. The iPod player that comes with the deck is terrible. What other app will accept an iPod being plugged in?
None that I know of. You can either plug it in by the dock connector and use the iPod app, or you can plug it in with an aux cable and use the aux app or connect it by bluetooth and use the bluetooth audio app while controlling it from the iPod itself.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #1428
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
None that I know of. You can either plug it in by the dock connector and use the iPod app, or you can plug it in with an aux cable and use the aux app or connect it by bluetooth and use the bluetooth audio app while controlling it from the iPod itself.
Thanks for the info, however, that kinda sucks lol.

For those considering the CaFi, please take these points into consideration:

There are only two stereo channels for amp output (Left and Right) plus one subwoofer out. This may complicate things if you are running 4 amplified speakers. I supposed you could always use an RCA splitter to create dual left and rights and balance them with the gain on the amp, but it seems like a work around.

The iPod support sucks. The app is terrible. It doesn't even read playlists off of your iPod. Truth be told, at least a third of the time I need to reboot the head unit just to play the iPod.

Torque and bluetooth OBDII dongles. It is not always automatic and half the time you'll be going into settings to manually search for the OBDII dongle.

I find the sound quality to be worse than my old Pioneer deck that this replaced. This may be totally subjective, but I honestly believe that it is worse.

The Bluetooth mic is built into the front of the head unit. I've been told that this mic is harder to make out than the old pioneer headliner mounted mic. As far as I can tell, there is no mic input on the rear of the deck to allow an external mic to be hooked up.

The audio will mute when you put the car in reverse (if you have a backup camera). I've played with the setting to stop it from muting, but regardless of if it's on or off, it will mute when you put the car in reverse.

The Glare is terrible. I have 35% tint all around and if the sun is behind me, I can't see anything on the screen.

With all that being said, I like the head unit overall but if it didn't let me use Torqu, I probably would switch to something else.