follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #183
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpike View Post
WAT???

Are you aware that this is a nonsencially low number? I didn't even know this number was above the state minimum.

Is that like $5k per person per acc? Even so it's still totally useless. When my car was totalled by some crazy douchebag, my hospital bill was $45k, and I was only in the ER for 4 hours. I seriously recommend you increase the medical portion. Of all the clauses, this one is most likely to bankrupt you.
I have $5,000 medical payments too. Read your own policy; it seems like you probably don't even know what you have.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #184
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
I have $5,000 medical payments too. Read your own policy; it seems like you probably don't even know what you have.

I'm glad you understand what we're talking about. It's just odd when people try to explain insurance to me when they're not fully aware of what each coverage actually is. Dudes bought an insurance policy once in their lives and suddenly think they are experts, haha.

But seeing how you're in NC, you guys at least have higher minimum liabilty limits (30/60/25) while requiring UMBI/UMPD (also 30/60/25), which is a good thing. So many people here in California (and basically any other state) try to skate by with just the minimums (15/30/5). Florida doesn't even require you to have bodily injury (as the absolute minimum legal requirement is just $10,000 in property damage liability and mandatory PIP coverage).
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #185
ucmecheng

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'm with State Farm and I got some quotes today. I also have my house insurance with them so I get a discount. Living in Northern KY. They dont have the BRZ in their database but they estimated for me and gave me some quotes on other new cars. Right now I'm in a 2004 Civic VP coupe and pay $430 every 6 months. They quoted me:

New Miata: $568
New WRX: $685
New TC: $714
New 370Z: $707
New Genesis 2.0T: $634
BRZ (estimate based on cost): $603

She ran a estimate based on cost for the 370z and it came up with around $670 a month. This makes sense since people speed more and get in more wrecks than average in a 370 which explains why the actual cost is $707. She said the rates are based on how much your car would cost to fix in the event of an accident, and how much damage they expect you would do to the other car. Aka, since SUVs are huge and weigh a ton they cost more because they do more damage.

Sicne the BRZ is light and probably won't hurt what it runs into that much, this should bias the premium down. Since its a sports car and people will prob speed more often and get in more wrecks, this should bias the average up. I'm gonig to plan on around $610 per 6 months.

I'm a 26 year old male with a few fender benders (<$1500 repairs) 3 years ago and a speeding ticket 1 year ago.
ucmecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #186
bladesamurai

Drives: 13 BRZ, 04 SV650
Doesn't medical include things that health insurance doesn't cover?
bladesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #187
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmecheng View Post
She ran a estimate based on cost for the 370z and it came up with around $670 a month. This makes sense since people speed more and get in more wrecks than average in a 370 which explains why the actual cost is $707. She said the rates are based on how much your car would cost to fix in the event of an accident, and how much damage they expect you would do to the other car. Aka, since SUVs are huge and weigh a ton they cost more because they do more damage.
It just changes the likelihood of certain claims that would be covered by different coverages on your policy. For example, motorcycle LIABILITY insurance generally isn't too expensive, because on a little motorcycle, it's not likely for you to cause a lot of damage in it or bust up people (unless you plow until a bunch of people on the sidewalk). However, since you're far more likely to get injured on one, that's why the UMBI and medical payments cost a lot on those kinds of policies. Same thing with the collision coverage, since people drop their bikes all the time or high/low side crash when trying to be heroes when taking corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesamurai View Post
Doesn't medical include things that health insurance doesn't cover?
It varies from state to state, but generally speaking, it CAN include things that health insurance doesn't cover, but again, it really depends on how awesome of a health insurance policy you have.

For example, not all chiropractic care is covered by health insurance, or not all chiropractors accept all health insurance companies. If you get into a car accident and don't need hospitalization but your back feels a bit sore, you will be happy that you had medical payments, because you can make a claim through your insurance company where they can use that coverage toward you seeing a chiropractor. Maybe your health insurance plan covers it, but maybe it doesn't. Medical payments actually contribute a very, very small amount to your insurance policy overall, unless you're with a non-standard company and/or have an accident or two on your driving record.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #188
bladesamurai

Drives: 13 BRZ, 04 SV650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
It just changes the likelihood of certain claims that would be covered by different coverages on your policy. For example, motorcycle LIABILITY insurance generally isn't too expensive, because on a little motorcycle, it's not likely for you to cause a lot of damage in it or bust up people (unless you plow until a bunch of people on the sidewalk). However, since you're far more likely to get injured on one, that's why the UMBI and medical payments cost a lot on those kinds of policies. Same thing with the collision coverage, since people drop their bikes all the time or high/low side crash when trying to be heroes when taking corners.

It varies from state to state, but generally speaking, it CAN include things that health insurance doesn't cover, but again, it really depends on how awesome of a health insurance policy you have.

For example, not all chiropractic care is covered by health insurance, or not all chiropractors accept all health insurance companies. If you get into a car accident and don't need hospitalization but your back feels a bit sore, you will be happy that you had medical payments, because you can make a claim through your insurance company where they can use that coverage toward you seeing a chiropractor. Maybe your health insurance plan covers it, but maybe it doesn't. Medical payments actually contribute a very, very small amount to your insurance policy overall, unless you're with a non-standard company and/or have an accident or two on your driving record.
I know it's very cheap on my car but very expensive on my motorcycle. Apparently this is because there are certain coverages that are included automatically on the car, but not for the motorcycle.

The same limits for the car and motorcycle are $35 for the car and $350 for the motorcycle, respectively. (I have $25k coverage for both because it's only a $200 difference in premiums compared to 5k per year)
bladesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #189
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'm glad you understand what we're talking about. It's just odd when people try to explain insurance to me when they're not fully aware of what each coverage actually is. Dudes bought an insurance policy once in their lives and suddenly think they are experts, haha.

But seeing how you're in NC, you guys at least have higher minimum liabilty limits (30/60/25) while requiring UMBI/UMPD (also 30/60/25), which is a good thing. So many people here in California (and basically any other state) try to skate by with just the minimums (15/30/5). Florida doesn't even require you to have bodily injury (as the absolute minimum legal requirement is just $10,000 in property damage liability and mandatory PIP coverage).
True.

I run 100/300/100 here (with 100/300 UM) and have been thinking about going to 250/500/100 (and 250/500 UM). Worth the change?

State Farm guess for me was $35 higher per 6 month period than my GS-R, so $700/6 months or ~117 a month.

My ITR is cheaper for some reason, I think they messed something up on that one. :shrug:
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #190
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesamurai View Post
I know it's very cheap on my car but very expensive on my motorcycle. Apparently this is because there are certain coverages that are included automatically on the car, but not for the motorcycle.
What state are you in? Coverages do vary from state to state, but I can't think of any coverages that are automatically included on an auto policy but not on a motorcycle policy. Coverages that are not specific to one type of policy (like the accessories coverage that is practically automatically included on most motorcycle policies that carry full coverage) are usually the same for casualty insurance policies (i.e. auto, motorcycle, off-road). But if you can think of specific examples, I'm all ears and I can double-check... it's hard to remember all the different rules and what not.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #191
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
True.

I run 100/300/100 here (with 100/300 UM) and have been thinking about going to 250/500/100 (and 250/500 UM). Worth the change?
It just depends on how much extra it costs, more so than whether you need it or not. For example, I had mentioned that I currently have a $1.5 million coverage limit, but it's not like I own a bunch of stuff. I just did it because it wasn't really that much more expensive, plus I knew how to bundle it since I'm essentially my own agent. For example, you do pay extra for the $1 million umbrella, but since my auto and umbrella policies were through the same carrier, both of them get discounted to the point where the price change was negligible.

In your case, it's all relative... if it's only a few more dollars a month, then sure, why not. But if you're open to options for higher coverage, look at a 500 CSL ($500,000 combined single limit), which is what I have on my auto policy. Rather than having specific limits for each per person/per occurrence/property damage liability claim, it lets the total liability limit be any combination as long as it doesn't exceed that amount. So for example, if you had 100/300/100 (or even 250/500/100) and you totaled a Lamborghini, that $100,000 property damage limit isn't going to be enough, unless it was a beat up Countach that you hit. Obviously those types of claims are less likely, but it's up to you. I live and work within a few miles of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Tesla, Porsche, etc. dealerships, so it's not exactly uncommon for me to see a car that is worth more than what I'll make collectively in the next few years.

Since you're in North Carolina, double-check your policy... I know you said you had 100/300 UMBI limits, but make sure that you actually have 100/300 UMBI/UIMBI limits, not just UMBI. UM is uninsured motorist, UIM is underinsured motorist. If you don't have it already, just have your agent add it on, it shouldn't cost much more. Oddly in North Carolina, you have to have 50/100 or higher to get it, since if you have only 30/60, you can only get UMBI for whatever reason. You're in one of the few states where the two types of coverages are separated.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #192
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

I'm actually in Florida. Not sure about the UMBI/UIMBI there.

I may be switching the ITR to Haggerty soon since it's not a DD and qualifies for collector car insurance, I'll probably wait to make any changes until then..
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #193
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
I'm actually in Florida. Not sure about the UMBI/UIMBI there.

I may be switching the ITR to Haggerty soon since it's not a DD and qualifies for collector car insurance, I'll probably wait to make any changes until then..
Oh whoops, I got you confused with Subie because you quoted my response to him.

If you're in Florida, then I guess it makes more sense regarding certain coverages... PIP is required only on owner-operator auto policies but not on non-owner auto policies or motorcycle policies. Either way, PIP isn't available on motorcycle policies, so I'm still not sure about which coverage you were referring to from earlier. But more importantly, UM/UIM is part of the same coverage in Florida, so disregard that stuff I said earlier since it doesn't apply to you.

Collector car policies like Haggerty (or AMIG, who we use for those policies) are generally pretty inexpensive as long as you don't have a bad driving history, but again it also depends on the vehicle. Just for kicks I did a collector car policy for myself with a McLaren F1... I think it was $12,000 annually or something crazy like that, haha.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #194
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Oh whoops, I got you confused with Subie because you quoted my response to him.

If you're in Florida, then I guess it makes more sense regarding certain coverages... PIP is required only on owner-operator auto policies but not on non-owner auto policies or motorcycle policies. Either way, PIP isn't available on motorcycle policies, so I'm still not sure about which coverage you were referring to from earlier. But more importantly, UM/UIM is part of the same coverage in Florida, so disregard that stuff I said earlier since it doesn't apply to you.

Collector car policies like Haggerty (or AMIG, who we use for those policies) are generally pretty inexpensive as long as you don't have a bad driving history, but again it also depends on the vehicle. Just for kicks I did a collector car policy for myself with a McLaren F1... I think it was $12,000 annually or something crazy like that, haha.

lol yeah.. the last time I quoted the ITR with Haggerty it was ~550/yr IIRC with a 15k agreed value.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #195
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
lol yeah.. the last time I quoted the ITR with Haggerty it was ~550/yr IIRC with a 15k agreed value.
If it were me, I'd go with a higher agreed value, if that's what they're using. But also, there are a few companies where on your regular auto policy, you can insure a certain car as a collector car, so you won't need multiple policies.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #196
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
If it were me, I'd go with a higher agreed value, if that's what they're using. But also, there are a few companies where on your regular auto policy, you can insure a certain car as a collector car, so you won't need multiple policies.
Do you know which companies do that? Currently using State Farm, I can check with them but if you have a list it'd be easier than calling the other XX insurance companies around