follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS AT (yes, auto!)
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,094 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
FWIW to the OP. We added the factory scion spoiler when we bought the car. It took a couple weeks to arrive so we drove a thousand miles with no spoiler. After the 'little stock spoiler' was added we could feel a noticeable difference at legal highway speeds. The car was more planted.
And now that we've removed the stock exhaust and created a hole where the stock can used to be, it feels unsettled again. I need to cover that hole and reduce lift.
kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #16
HachiRo

Drives: 2013 White-Out FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry for such a noob question, but by mechanical grip, what/how do you mean?
Also, my taste might be ricey, but I really like the APR front splitter along with several wings that might be considered "huge" to some. I just hope building to my preference aesthetically doesn't garner too much hate lol. Then again, no matter what you, someone has something to complain about..
All very interesting and great information! Thanks everyone!
HachiRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #17
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRo View Post
Sorry for such a noob question, but by mechanical grip, what/how do you mean?
Also, my taste might be ricey, but I really like the APR front splitter along with several wings that might be considered "huge" to some. I just hope building to my preference aesthetically doesn't garner too much hate lol. Then again, no matter what you, someone has something to complain about..
All very interesting and great information! Thanks everyone!
Mechanical grip = tires and suspension

Although there are tons of stock guys running a diffuser and still love the changes.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #18
HachiRo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbar View Post
Mechanical grip = tires and suspension

Although there are tons of stock guys running a diffuser and still love the changes.
Ahh! Got it. Because it's gonna be a daily and I love driving over speed bumps at normal speeds, lowering it (though beautiful looks wise) will probably be one of the last things I'll do.
1000$+ to lower your car is a lot to me ._. But heh. Car world for yah.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Don't need to lower it to do suspension adjustments for better grip. All depends on your situation though. I'm keeping mine stock height cuz snow and crappy roads.

Since we're on the topic, anyone know of a unobtrusive rear diffuser that doesn't stick out 3ft?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #20
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Got a brz limited trunk off ebay recently which freed up my plain trunk to go full retard on to swap over for tracktivities.

This arrived yesterday.

hancha splitter (waiting on supports), driveway labs skirts and t2 rear diffuser, aeromotions wing. Trying to keep the overhangs on splitter and diffuser daily friendly, even though within a year at this rate the car won't be dd anymore.

IMG_7777 by utekineir, on Flickr
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Model Citizen For This Useful Post:
Gunman (08-26-2014), Wonderbar (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #21
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I didn't know Wonderbar had completed his side skirts and put them into production yet. How do you like them?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Wonderbar (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I didn't know Wonderbar had completed his side skirts and put them into production yet. How do you like them?
I've done one track day since adding the extra bits (minus wing that came yesterday).

So the car went from my last event having just the rear diffuser, to the splitter, skirts and brz limited trunk with spoiler, kinda hard to necessarily pinpoint any one thing especially with the expected minor improvements. But as a whole the car did feel a solid bit more planted than the previous event at the same track. I did pick up the mpg change from the diffuser wonder bar has spoken of. Even with the kw sc got 33.6 (calculated at pump) on a drive from home into the white mountains, keeping speeds mostly at 70-75. That impressed me quite a bit since post sc my typical mpg had taken a hit even on highway miles.

That said, they are a much thicker construction than the diffuser and look like they'll have no issue holding up to abuse. They extend pretty far, definitely have had a passenger jam his a Achilles on them getting in. I don't have any real issues.

Realistically I went into it figuring the most noticeable benefit of the skirts would be having to wipe less cone marks off the side of the car. Anything past that will be a bonus.

I only went for a quick drive last night with the wing after putting it on at its flattest angle setting, realistically the car was already past hitting limits of grip on legal roads (haven't switched off the bf rivals atm), so any real street addition is irrelevant regardless of existence. It did seem a bit tighter, but that may have just been in my head. On the other end of things there was no added noise, and really felt to have no noticeable drag.... but lowest angle.

What was noticeable without question was the stares, much stare, so race car..... especially since I leave in the track pads (cl rc5+, they've got fantastic cold bite). That and looking in the mirrors to see a huge fucking wing. That was kinda fun.

It'll probably make a great place to eat a sandwich off of too.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 08-26-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Model Citizen For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (08-26-2014), kavanagh (08-26-2014), Wonderbar (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #23
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
Don't need to lower it to do suspension adjustments for better grip. All depends on your situation though. I'm keeping mine stock height cuz snow and crappy roads.

Since we're on the topic, anyone know of a unobtrusive rear diffuser that doesn't stick out 3ft?
Driveway Labs type 2.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (08-27-2014), JohnJuan (08-26-2014), Wonderbar (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
I'm not a sponsor on the board so I don't really pimp my stuff on here. I just try to pass along info and answer questions.

I made the the side splitters thicker because of the likelihood of contact with things like people, cones, etc. I didn't want thinner metal having the potential to cut you if you kick it, I didn't want it to bend. I've stood on mine, I'll video it today and post it on my Facebook.

Thanks for the feedback @Model Citizen, those are good to knows. I tried to hit the minimum effectives for functional gains without going overboard to keep it street friendly. I hope I accomplished that in everyone's opinions and feedback.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #25
HachiRo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
I've done one track day since adding the extra bits (minus wing that came yesterday).

So the car went from my last event having just the rear diffuser, to the splitter, skirts and brz limited trunk with spoiler, kinda hard to necessarily pinpoint any one thing especially with the expected minor improvements. But as a whole the car did feel a solid bit more planted than the previous event at the same track. I did pick up the mpg change from the diffuser wonder bar has spoken of. Even with the kw sc got 33.6 (calculated at pump) on a drive from home into the white mountains, keeping speeds mostly at 70-75. That impressed me quite a bit since post sc my typical mpg had taken a hit even on highway miles.

That said, they are a much thicker construction than the diffuser and look like they'll have no issue holding up to abuse. They extend pretty far, definitely have had a passenger jam his a Achilles on them getting in. I don't have any real issues.

Realistically I went into it figuring the most noticeable benefit of the skirts would be having to wipe less cone marks off the side of the car. Anything past that will be a bonus.

I only went for a quick drive last night with the wing after putting it on at its flattest angle setting, realistically the car was already past hitting limits of grip on legal roads (haven't switched off the bf rivals atm), so any real street addition is irrelevant regardless of existence. It did seem a bit tighter, but that may have just been in my head. On the other end of things there was no added noise, and really felt to have no noticeable drag.... but lowest angle.

What was noticeable without question was the stares, much stare, so race car..... especially since I leave in the track pads (cl rc5+, they've got fantastic cold bite). That and looking in the mirrors to see a huge fucking wing. That was kinda fun.

It'll probably make a great place to eat a sandwich off of too.
Very interesting read, haha. The stares, oh the stares. I'm sure certain number of people would be laughing or making fun of it without realizing it actually has a purpose and you actually track your car, haha.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #26
BRZ NA

Drives: WR blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I felt the rear of my car lifted up a bit on the track while foot on the gas ,car is stock w a little more grip tires. In this case, putting a wing or diffuser will solve it?
BRZ NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ NA View Post
I felt the rear of my car lifted up a bit on the track while foot on the gas ,car is stock w a little more grip tires. In this case, putting a wing or diffuser will solve it?
Diffuser or wing will solve that instantly.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
BRZ NA

Drives: WR blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbar View Post
Diffuser or wing will solve that instantly.
For real?diffuser might be better because cost less?
BRZ NA is offline   Reply With Quote