follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #421
br@ndon

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
That's a very standard occurrence when your cat gets deleted from the system. There's a O2 simulator you can use, but it's never guaranteed. The best way to go is to get a tune to maximize the gains and take out that CEL.
Thanks! I figured! It's just weird that it just went on after ~300 miles.
br@ndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #422
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
People still buy headers without a tune? That's some expensive noise.
Dat power doe.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
evo4g63 (08-25-2014), finch1750 (08-26-2014), FR-S Matt (08-25-2014), jonbonazza (08-26-2014), Shark_Bait88 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #423
Aerok
It's Korea backwards.

Drives: 2014 FR-S Whiteout
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Can you get an audio clip? I'd really appreciate it. Picking up a used Berk single exit muffler delete from a local guy this week, and strongly considering buying the Tomei EL as a Christmas present to myself. I'd really like to hear how the setup sounds.

Are those the only mods you've done to the exhaust system? (i.e. no catless front pipe or anything)

I posted a video in this thread already. (#418)

The mods I listed are the only ones on the car. Exhaust is stock other than the header and muffler delete.
Aerok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerok For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #424
leech

Drives: Honda Civic
so what I am understanding is that OFT will be the tune that get rid of the CEL correct?
is there a way to clear it or do we just plug in and clear it? thanks
leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #425
CSG David

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech View Post
so what I am understanding is that OFT will be the tune that get rid of the CEL correct?
is there a way to clear it or do we just plug in and clear it? thanks
OFT or EcuTek. It's better to tune it. You're not gaining anything by not tuning the system.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #426
leech

Drives: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
OFT or EcuTek. It's better to tune it. You're not gaining anything by not tuning the system.

Right! I think I might go with the Tomei UEL + stock cat + fujitsubo authorize R down the road.

I am new to this tuning world. just a bit worried if this will cause any harm to the car in the long run (10~15 years).
so far I don't see any issue of the OFT on the forum, and I like the idea of plug in and play
leech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #427
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Right! I think I might go with the Tomei UEL + stock cat + fujitsubo authorize R down the road.

I am new to this tuning world. just a bit worried if this will cause any harm to the car in the long run (10~15 years).
so far I don't see any issue of the OFT on the forum, and I like the idea of plug in and play
Won't cause any harm to the car if your tuner knows what he's doing and doesn't tune it extremely aggressive. I had mine tuned by a popular forum member and my car runs extremely well. Already at 20k miles too and running strong.

Just remember, all factory tunes are extremely conservative. There's some horsepower to squeeze out of the engine that keeps it in safe levels. That should be the goal of every tuner. Unless you've got money to drop on a new engine, you can go as aggressive as you want.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #428
CSG David

Quote:

Don't worry. We have a friend in Taiwan who can help you out. He trains amateur and professional drivers in Asia and Europe.

Let us know how we can help you out in the future!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 AM   #429
CSG David

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Won't cause any harm to the car if your tuner knows what he's doing and doesn't tune it extremely aggressive. I had mine tuned by a popular forum member and my car runs extremely well. Already at 20k miles too and running strong.

Just remember, all factory tunes are extremely conservative. There's some horsepower to squeeze out of the engine that keeps it in safe levels. That should be the goal of every tuner. Unless you've got money to drop on a new engine, you can go as aggressive as you want.
They are conservative for a reason. This was validated when we put 100 octane into the gas tank and found the power to be substantially smoother than on CA 91 octane gasoline. A conservative tune is a good tune especially if you want sustained performance rather than a nice 10 second pull that heat soaks afterwards.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #430
Yui-Chan

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Want!
Yui-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #431
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
So just got an exhaust leak when I went to go get my transmission changed under recall, dealer took a pic of the leak seems to be right at the center of the collector. They took a pic I'll post it later.

Should I:
A. contact tomei and have them figure it out? Would they make me send the current one back then install a new one? This would cost me a shit ton in uninstall / reinstall

or

B. go to a shop to have it spot welded (service guy suggested this would be an easy fix something that happens often because thats a difficult spot for them to get to)
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #432
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
So just got an exhaust leak when I went to go get my transmission changed under recall, dealer took a pic of the leak seems to be right at the center of the collector. They took a pic I'll post it later.

Should I:
A. contact tomei and have them figure it out? Would they make me send the current one back then install a new one? This would cost me a shit ton in uninstall / reinstall

or

B. go to a shop to have it spot welded (service guy suggested this would be an easy fix something that happens often because thats a difficult spot for them to get to)
If you need/plan to warranty it for anything ever, don't take it to a shop to spot weld it because it's unlikely tomei will help you out if anything else goes wrong with it down the road.

I would contact tomei first and see what they say.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #433
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
If you need/plan to warranty it for anything ever, don't take it to a shop to spot weld it because it's unlikely tomei will help you out if anything else goes wrong with it down the road.

I would contact tomei first and see what they say.
I definitely agree with this but this is definitely something that would be a "warranty" claim.. but you have a good point we will have to see when tuesday rolls around
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #434
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
I definitely agree with this but this is definitely something that would be a "warranty" claim.. but you have a good point we will have to see when tuesday rolls around
I never said it was something that wouldn't be a warranty claim.