follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #29
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBRZ View Post
Obviosly you've never driven a 400+ whp ft86
errr, the z06 has 650hp and 650 lb/ft torque
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #30
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Is this a joke? Are we actually debating this? no matter how much money you dump into n Frs/BRZ it will never be like a C7 Z06 because car hasn't been designed like a Z06 (supercar killer) twins are more like mainstream, affordable sports cars with good potential and fun for the money.. Z06 on the other hand is in a completely different territory and still bargain for what it brings to table and requires more than two bawls to drive at the limit
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
Deep Six (08-24-2014), Rampage (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #31
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBRZ View Post
Obviosly you've never driven a 400+ whp ft86
Doesn't matter man , numbers look good on paper and sound good but there are some other things to be considered, such as the delivery, consistency of the power and the area under the TQ curve.. I've left so many 350+whp civics in dust with my old Z06.. Common misconception is most of the guys/gals only look at the power to weight ratio and make assumptions based on those numbers.. I have to admit I made the same mistake until I test drove a Z06
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
LSxJunkie (08-26-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #32
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ And then there's also reliability, both at the limit and long-term.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
glamcem (08-24-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #33
SCharged

Drives: asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I sure hope nobody here would actually get a built twin over a z06.. for many reasons. The z06 is an exotic killer, better in many ways than most cars double its price.. and still has a heck of a lot of potential for modding.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
SCharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #34
PhoKingCool

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine
With all that said...if you do this Twin+30k of mods idea...

I wanna see pics and a build thread!
See below:

OK after reading above builds, then reading this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift&Drag View Post
I agree. It cannot be done. A modded FRS/BRZ would not be better than a stock z06.

@Drift&Drag So even with your elaborate brz build, it cannot be done? You won't be able to hang with just a stock Z06!?!

I advise not investing in either of these options; a modded twin or a 2015 Z06. Instead, buy a house, pay off your debt, or leave it in a rainy day fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCharged View Post
I sure hope nobody here would actually get a built twin over a z06.. for many reasons. The z06 is an exotic killer, better in many ways than most cars double its price.. and still has a heck of a lot of potential for modding.
How about the insurance premium?
PhoKingCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #35
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
^ And then there's also reliability, both at the limit and long-term.
There are some Vette model years that had issues, but for the most part they are pretty reliable cars and parts and labor is not bad when you consider the performance for the money.

I love the twins for what they are, but people get too carried away with some of these comparisons. How reliable would a twin be with 600hp and 600ft lbs of torque? Plus you get no warranty...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #36
PhoKingCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I love the twins for what they are, but people get too carried away with some of these comparisons. How reliable would a twin be with 600hp and 600ft lbs of torque? Plus you get no warranty...
Most modded twin owners don't care about warranty as they either have the money or resources to mitigate issues and repairs on their own. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have warranty to begin with (branded titles/total loss shells).
Old 08-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #37
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoKingCool View Post
Most of those modded twin owners don't care about warranty as they either have the money or resources to mitigate issues and repairs on their own.
My point was questioning reliability on a Vette that is under warranty seems like a moot point when we are talking about heavily modified twins that will have questionable reliability.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #38
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoKingCool View Post
Most of those modded twin owners don't care about warranty as they either have the money or resources to mitigated issues and repairs on their own.
They may have the resources but I do not think the majority of guys that are modding twins with high boost are really doing any of the work themselves. From what I read in the boosted forum, most of them are simply writing checks and charging up credit cards for others to do the initial build and then all the maintenance and troubleshooting that comes after.

Why is it that so many in the tuner crowd (of which I consider myself a part) are always trying to make their cars into something they are not? They always want to challenge the exotics or muscle cars (which they badmouth constantly). Dollar for dollar they are never going to win the HP and torque wars against the American V8s. That is why nearly all the Pro drifters have switched to LS swaps. (just one obvious example.)

I love Honda, Mazda, Toyota and Nissan cars and have owned a bunch over the years. What I love about them is light weight, good handling and small bore sophisticated motors. In their class, they are the best in the world but when they try to move up to the heavy weight class they loose their punch and all their advantages.

I am always happy to be able to compete with or beat everyone in my class. The twins can do that. That is what makes them such a great car.

But a Z06 killer, they are not.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #39
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I will conceed that i was thinking older zo6's but after wLking away from the blown c7's last night i'm not expecting much out of the s/c c7 z06
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #40
PhoKingCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
My point was questioning reliability on a Vette that is under warranty seems like a moot point when we are talking about heavily modified twins that will have questionable reliability.
I am not an advocate of heavily modded twins and their uncertain reliability. Going back to your point of warranty benefits, most Vettes (especially Z06s) do not stay completely "stock". Depending on how anal the dealership is, they can void your warranty for mods such as upgrading your air filter/mass air, supercharge pulley, exhaust, gears, what tires are used, or if they are able to determine if you used nitrous on the car. All of these of which are common mods for Vettes. My neighbor is a lead service adviser at a Chevrolet dealership and they use ANY excuse to deny warranty claims.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #41
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That's the case with any dealership. But I'd bet that a blown twin will likely get denied far quicker than a Z06 with some bolt-ons.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #42
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
They may have the resources but I do not think the majority of guys that are modding twins with high boost are really doing any of the work themselves. From what I read in the boosted forum, most of them are simply writing checks and charging up credit cards for others to do the initial build and then all the maintenance and troubleshooting that comes after.

Why is it that so many in the tuner crowd (of which I consider myself a part) are always trying to make their cars into something they are not? They always want to challenge the exotics or muscle cars (which they badmouth constantly). Dollar for dollar they are never going to win the HP and torque wars against the American V8s. That is why nearly all the Pro drifters have switched to LS swaps. (just one obvious example.)

I love Honda, Mazda, Toyota and Nissan cars and have owned a bunch over the years. What I love about them is light weight, good handling and small bore sophisticated motors. In their class, they are the best in the world but when they try to move up to the heavy weight class they loose their punch and all their advantages.

I am always happy to be able to compete with or beat everyone in my class. The twins can do that. That is what makes them such a great car.

But a Z06 killer, they are not.
Exactly. End of thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (09-14-2014)