follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
buddy32

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Track weekend update

Had a crazy awesome time this past weekend at Road Atlanta at the HPDE event! Ran with the stock wheels and tires, Saturday was dry, and Sunday was wet. Ran both days and learned a great deal! The Sprint Kit from @CSG Mike was great, ran them with XP10s, and had no problems whatsoever! Thanks again Mike!

I set up the Nexus 7 with Torque to keep an eye on temps and the only thing that caught my eye was the oil temps creeping it's way up to the 270s (absolutely stock car besides brake work).

Lotus that was running in the same group with R888's.

My buddies and I setting up

Surprised to find the @FT-86 SpeedFactory crew out there getting some track time in the TT Group!!

Had brief conversations with both Jeremy and Yo, they're extremely nice guys! Talked about what kind of products they are developing as well and I'm definitely excited to keep my ears perked for news from them!!

I left before the last session to get home with time left to change the pads back to the 1521's and also put the Enkei's back on.

If anyone was wondering, the wheels clear the AP Sprint Kit with PLENTY of room to spare.

A few fun track photos: Pics

Last edited by buddy32; 03-18-2014 at 02:33 PM.
buddy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy32 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-18-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
buddy32

Staying true to the "not updating as much as I should" trend!!

Some pretty big suspension changes have been made since the last time I posted. Purchased and installed RCE T2's, SPL rear LCA's, and Raceseng Cas/Cam Plates. I also changed the differential and transmission oil out for Motul Gear 300 and Motul Gear 300LS as well as the engine oil with Motul 300V high rpm @CSG Mike's recommendations.

Some pics:

On the alignment rack at GTE:

Alignment Sheet:

Obligatory pic:

Didn't use camber bolts up front, used the slots on the RCE T2s and the cas/cam plates and there's still adjustment left on the front. Even though I haven't tracked it yet, holy cow! What. A. Difference!! I can't WAIT to get back out to a road course and push the car! Just gotta be careful with the car being lower to not hit a slope it can't tackle.

Shout out to @ATL_BRZ, @Racecomp Engineering, @CSG Mike, @normancw, and @Sportsguy83 for answering all the questions I had. Couldn't have done it in my garage without you guys being patient with me. I learned lots and owe it to you guys!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to buddy32 For This Useful Post:
akahenry (05-30-2014), ATL BRZ (05-30-2014), CSG Mike (05-30-2014), normancw (05-31-2014), Racecomp Engineering (06-02-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #17
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Dat WRB doe.....

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
looks really good!
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (06-01-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #19
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
sex.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (06-01-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
buddy32

Went out to Road Atlanta last weekend and had a great time! Ran the stock wheels and tires on day 1 and the 18x8 Raijins with 245 Bridgestone RE760 day 2. Started sliding around a little on the stocks, but nothing uncontrollable and nothing bad happened (Laps consistently stayed around the 2 minute mark). Played around with braking points and trail braking and understeered a few times before taking that lesson to heart.

First time I've actually gotten into ABS braking into almost EVERY turn. The Essex sprint kit is definitely giving me a lot of braking power, which makes me think I may be braking a little too early and not carrying enough momentum through the corners with me. I'm running the Carbotech XP10s on the track and the smoke coming off was pretty thick on a red flag drill. Should I be concerned? @JRitt, @CSG Mike?

Saw oil temps at 265 when I forgot to turn the AC off, and 260 when I turned it off. Sighhhh.... probably gonna need an oil cooler soon...

RCE T2 from @Racecomp Engineering gave me a lot more confidence going through the turns and a lot less roll/ slide on the stock tires. I know I can push it some more on the wider tires with more speed and momentum, but I like to stay on the more conservative side until I get more comfortable with those corner speeds. At the end of the day, I still gotta drive the car home!

I welcome any criticism that anyone would have to offer for the video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFQiS23PBI"]WJL 2013 Subaru BRZ @ RA - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: Forgot that @ATL BRZ has already given me some feedback on the video, and recommended the GT3 brake cooling air "directors". I have them on order! Woot!

Last edited by buddy32; 06-19-2014 at 07:55 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buddy32 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-19-2014), CSG Mike (06-19-2014), Racecomp Engineering (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
buddy32

I've promised some more pics and here are some that were from the June C&O in Atlanta.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buddy32 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-19-2014), Firestorm_86 (08-12-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #22
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
First time I've actually gotten into ABS braking into almost EVERY turn. The Essex sprint kit is definitely giving me a lot of braking power, which makes me think I may be braking a little too early and not carrying enough momentum through the corners with me. I'm running the Carbotech XP10s on the track and the smoke coming off was pretty thick on a red flag drill. Should I be concerned? @JRitt, @CSG Mike?
Looking good!

Getting into ABS definitely is not an issue as long as it isn't distracting you. I'd just keep creeping your brake points up slowly. Keep in mind though, that you're out there for fun. I wouldn't risk stuffing it just to gain 5 feet and save 0.01 seconds!

As for smoke, no need to really worry unless you're catching fire...which can happen. Sometimes if you're smoking heavily and pull into the pits, the pads will burst into flames. Always do a cool-down lap off the brakes if at all possible (obviously if it's a red flag that's not possible). Brake ducts are also a good idea for sure.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #23
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy32 View Post

Did you safely come to a stop somewhere where you could leave your foot off the brake for the red flag drill? I know Road Atlanta doesn't have many flat areas. If not, then I would recommend shutting the motor off and leaving it in gear to prevent it from rolling down a hill, but you definitely do not want to leave your foot on the brake with hot brakes. I will check out your video when I get home as I have tons of laps at Road Atlanta.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
buddy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Did you safely come to a stop somewhere where you could leave your foot off the brake for the red flag drill? I know Road Atlanta doesn't have many flat areas. If not, then I would recommend shutting the motor off and leaving it in gear to prevent it from rolling down a hill, but you definitely do not want to leave your foot on the brake with hot brakes. I will check out your video when I get home as I have tons of laps at Road Atlanta.

I was going up T1 and saw the red flag. Ended up btw T2 and T3 (there was someone behind me, didn't just slam on my brakes to stop) . I shut the motor off and put it in gear, and then noticed the smoke.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Went out to Road Atlanta last weekend and had a great time! Ran the stock wheels and tires on day 1 and the 18x8 Raijins with 245 Bridgestone RE760 day 2. Started sliding around a little on the stocks, but nothing uncontrollable and nothing bad happened (Laps consistently stayed around the 2 minute mark). Played around with braking points and trail braking and understeered a few times before taking that lesson to heart.

Saw oil temps at 265 when I forgot to turn the AC off, and 260 when I turned it off. Sighhhh.... probably gonna need an oil cooler soon...

RCE T2 from @Racecomp Engineering gave me a lot more confidence going through the turns and a lot less roll/ slide on the stock tires. I know I can push it some more on the wider tires with more speed and momentum, but I like to stay on the more conservative side until I get more comfortable with those corner speeds. At the end of the day, I still gotta drive the car home!

Edit: Forgot that @ATL BRZ has already given me some feedback on the video, and recommended the GT3 brake cooling air "directors". I have them on order! Woot!
While braking later may seem like you're going faster, it's more important to make sure the car is settled and balanced when you're entering the corner.

Compared to most SoCal drivers, I consistently have lower Vmin and Vmax during a lap, but turn in faster lap times because my cornering speeds are higher. I make sure I'm composed when I enter a corner (or at least as close to composed as I can be).

Smoking pads is normal, especially if you had to suddenly stop (red flag). It's usually either the paint or grease (if you use shims) burning off. If your bite didn't drop off, then you haven't faded the pads. Your pedal will get mushy if you boil the fluid. You want to just barely stay off of the ABS; the XP10 should help you achieve that since they're fairly easy to modulate due to the compressible nature of the pad.

You'll definitely want an oil cooler soon.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (06-19-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
Firestorm_86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Staying true to the "not updating as much as I should" trend!!

Some pretty big suspension changes have been made since the last time I posted. Purchased and installed RCE T2's, SPL rear LCA's, and Raceseng Cas/Cam Plates.

Didn't use camber bolts up front, used the slots on the RCE T2s and the cas/cam plates and there's still adjustment left on the front. Even though I haven't tracked it yet, holy cow! What. A. Difference!! I can't WAIT to get back out to a road course and push the car! Just gotta be careful with the car being lower to not hit a slope it can't tackle.
Where in Atlanta do you live? How do you like the tarmacs with our crappy roads?

I'm kinda torn on going big with RCE T2's or RCE yellows and Blstein B8's overtime.
Firestorm_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #27
buddy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm_86 View Post
Where in Atlanta do you live? How do you like the tarmacs with our crappy roads?

I'm kinda torn on going big with RCE T2's or RCE yellows and Blstein B8's overtime.
I live in west midtown, near tech. I daily'ed the T2's for awhile when I was in search for another daily. It's fine. I don't mind doing it, just wanted to keep some miles off the BRZ. In my opinion, it's stiff, but i still liked it a lot better. I pay a lot more attention on swerving away from pot holes and such, makes me more attentive on the road (training for track attentiveness lol)

Do you have another car, or is this your daily? For what it's worth, I would make the same decision and still go T2s with standard rates, even if the BRZ was my only car.

@ATL BRZ may want to chime in here as well. He's got the same coilover/bbk setup. But came from yellows/stock setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy32 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
Firestorm_86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I live in west midtown, near tech. I daily'ed the T2's for awhile when I was in search for another daily. It's fine. I don't mind doing it, just wanted to keep some miles off the BRZ. In my opinion, it's stiff, but i still liked it a lot better. I pay a lot more attention on swerving away from pot holes and such, makes me more attentive on the road (training for track attentiveness lol)

Do you have another car, or is this your daily? For what it's worth, I would make the same decision and still go T2s with standard rates, even if the BRZ was my only car.

@ATL BRZ may want to chime in here as well. He's got the same coilover/bbk setup. But came from yellows/stock setup.
Yeah, it was his setup that made me consider just doing the springs. The stock dampers are decently good. But I need about a .5-1" drop so my wheels don't look funny/rally. So the springs would be the cheapest, but the more pricey right if I do the dampers, etc later on.

Also, can you reuse the OEM hats? I'm not a hardcore tracker like @ATL BRZ. It'll be a DD, with lots of mountains whenever I can. So I'm not in a rush to get the 'perfect' track alignment, so camber bolts and OEM tophats would be preferrred.
Firestorm_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firestorm_86 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-13-2014)