follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #6959
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
The 250 is about 43k rpm

I don't even know what I'm running anymore...

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
enwave (08-02-2014), fenton (08-02-2014), Gums (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #6960
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
Video of gtec run will come soon. As for the hp comparison it's just from the openflash tablet log using virtual dyno. Vd may not be super accurate but it's a good tool to used for before and after mod comparison.

For example. Pre fd install the logs showed 220whp 196trq

After fd install the logs showed 268whp 245trq.

That's because your gearing changed, doesn't mean you are as fast as a car with 260+whp, just means it pulls like it through the gears (fun!), but you have to shift to a higher gear ratio sooner.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #6961
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
That's because your gearing changed, doesn't mean you are as fast as a car with 260+whp, just means it pulls like it through the gears (fun!), but you have to shift to a higher gear ratio sooner.
I think he was saying he knows that it didn't add that power but the torque multiplier of dropping the ratio is what's being calculated.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (08-02-2014), shif7i7down (08-03-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #6962
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
I have a point of confusion I am hoping kit owners can answer.

I hear people repeatedly state this kit "only makes boost at WOT." This makes no sense to me, as an FI setup that only engages the moment you hit full throttle would exhibit unsafe drivability. Is this truly how the kit operates or are these just uninformed people repeating the same banter over and over?

Can someone elaborate on when/how this kit engages boost. I assume it is in fact modifiable according to the tuning. The way people talk about it however, make it sound like an on off switch and not progressive like, say, every well tuned FI solution in existence. Are there really people who have it set up in such a fashion, and do they realize the hazards it presents?
I think you are definitely getting the wrong impression of how this system works. Both on my own car (a prototype set-up on a V-6, Camry), and on the FRS/BRZ. Maybe you have viewed the classic "Mad Max" movie, a few too many times.

It's not a 200 shot of nitrous, that breaks tires loose on the roll at 40mph. As Fenton notes, it's not like a a high boost turbo either, that waits a bit, then whacks you. It's actually a very sweet but managable amount of power, available for regular everyday driving manouvers, and very managable in safe, sporty, fun driving, with an experienced, responsible driver.

Any sort of power modification that actually works significantly depends on the person pushing the pedals and holding onto the steering wheel. This one is probably one of the safest ways you could make real extra action happen.
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silent runner For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-03-2014), fenton (08-03-2014), Gums (08-03-2014), Sojhinn (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #6963
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent runner View Post
I think you are definitely getting the wrong impression of how this system works. Both on my own car (a prototype set-up on a V-6, Camry), and on the FRS/BRZ. Maybe you have viewed the classic "Mad Max" movie, a few too many times.

It's not a 200 shot of nitrous, that breaks tires loose on the roll at 40mph. As Fenton notes, it's not like a a high boost turbo either, that waits a bit, then whacks you. It's actually a very sweet but managable amount of power, available for regular everyday driving manouvers, and very managable in safe, sporty, fun driving, with an experienced, responsible driver.

Any sort of power modification that actually works significantly depends on the person pushing the pedals and holding onto the steering wheel. This one is probably one of the safest ways you could make real extra action happen.

I completely agree. It's hard to describe how manageable the extra power is. And if you are good with throttle position you can really do some neat things with this system.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #6964
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I completely agree. It's hard to describe how manageable the extra power is. And if you are good with throttle position you can really do some neat things with this system.

The only part that took me some getting used to was WOT into a tight corner at relatively low speed on a track. I broke the rear loose where I didn't before and was able to recover, but it did catch me by surprise. That was my first time at the track with the kit. Since then, I've learned to delay my throttle about a half second longer at that spot and it is smooth sailing. In fact, exit speeds on technical corners or Autocross is outstanding with this system.

I figure I would have a similar problem in a different situation with any type of boost in a first run with it (boost understeer at a higher speed corner with traditional boost like I got driving my buddy's turbo S2K).

I have yet to experience any "surprises" on the street.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-03-2014), fenton (08-03-2014), robwbright (08-03-2014), Sojhinn (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #6965
reignerabellera

Drives: GTX 86 2014
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
lucky state people, I dont have a choice but to just follow this thread and keep drooling.
reignerabellera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #6966
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignerabellera View Post
lucky state people, I dont have a choice but to just follow this thread and keep drooling.
some are lucky, but some of us just have to keep drooling right along with you.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #6967
reignerabellera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
some are lucky, but some of us just have to keep drooling right along with you.

yeah, I hope it wont be long when Rob would finally sell this international, ill buy one from him right away
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #6968
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't think it's so much Rob isn't selling internationally as much as he's not selling any at all due to parts shortages. After all USA is international for Rob.
But everybody leave Rob alone until after he fixes my controller. I've been ESC-less for over a week and it is just awful. To not have the power is one thing but to have the power and get it taken away is really tough.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #6969
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I don't think it's so much Rob isn't selling internationally as much as he's not selling any at all due to parts shortages. After all USA is international for Rob.
But everybody leave Rob alone until after he fixes my controller. I've been ESC-less for over a week and it is just awful. To not have the power is one thing but to have the power and get it taken away is really tough.
Cry me a river lol,
I've been waiting for one since about a year ago and I've also had noobs having a go at me thinking I must be a noob because they got theirs first. RHD bro, only gums has one at the moment.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #6970
gtfapollo

Drives: Velocity Orange
Quote:
To not have the power is one thing but to have the power and get it taken away is really tough.
It actually sucks people. It really does!
gtfapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #6971
reignerabellera

Quote:
You gave me more reason to envy you state guys, especially mentioning the word "power". I cant even imagine the improvement it will make without going FI. and us overseas are stuck on how to improve torque.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #6972
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv14476 View Post
Speaking of rides. @shif7i7down, don't suppose that you'd be close enough for a meet and ride sometime down the road. I do make an annual journey to visit relatives in Janesville and wouldn't mind a detour.
No problem, just message me when you are around my area, we can meet up. But Just do you know, Janesville is roughly 1.5hrs away from Milwaukee

Btw, gtec didn't go so well so i won't be posting the video, I'm actually slower, could not grip for shit. Burn rubber like crazy all 1st and 2nd gear, but I'll do some rolling race with a lanevo x and post those up soon.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive