follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #43
Slow_86
Cpt. Slow

Drives: 2015 series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I daily my car and run the Q300 and invidia catless resonated front pipe. The sound is deff deep but barely noticeable during daily driving. You can definitely hear the deeper town too it but it's not even close to loud. Engine noise still drowns it out.
Slow_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 AM   #44
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
Please excuse how quiet it is, no idea why it's that way. The exhaust is louder in person. I tried to get an in cabin video but the mic is very sensitive and the roads here are terrible so it pretty much picked up every vibration more than in cabin noise. I can attest to the fact that it is not unbearable at 3000rpm cruising. fairly quiet actually.

here's a video from right next to the tail pipe too:

don't judge the exhaust on this as the camera is right next to the tail pipe and muffler. All I had left of my gopro mounts were the curvy ones so I had to put it on the rear "diffuser" where it curves right under the rear bumper. It sounds obnoxious here but it really isn't.

....or maybe it is and I'm just a hooligan

Hope this helps your quest.
You're a pal, dude! Thank you so much! Thanks for the efforts and the video! Gives me more to think about! You the best
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 AM   #45
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmp7 View Post
Check out the Tomei type 80. I have a dc front pipe (catless) with the type 80 and it sounds amazing. No rasp (which I like) and it has a nice low rumble. I'll see if I can get a video of how it sounds inside the car.
Suhweeeet, thanks dude! Sounds exactly what I'm looking for, but get that vidja up!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #46
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
I love my j2 quad exhaust minus the fact i threw in an extra 100$ to get it cut up and fitted normally. But i think it sounds the best. The only thing i would want to change is bigger tips and a trd bumper lol. Basically the trd quad but with the j2 sound.
Got any vidjas?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #47
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
For a daily, I would have to say Tanabe Medalion Touring. Deep and a bit aggressive but under 93db.
Just found a video and man it doesn't sound bad at all! Any way to replace those ugly tips though? They look way too stock
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #48
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_86 View Post
I daily my car and run the Q300 and invidia catless resonated front pipe. The sound is deff deep but barely noticeable during daily driving. You can definitely hear the deeper town too it but it's not even close to loud. Engine noise still drowns it out.
Got any videos? Everyone seems to be saying invidia so I'm thinking it's definitely something to check out
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 AM   #49
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Found this, sounds fucking awesome. Thoughts?

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invi...s&src=aug6r6af
Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #50
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_skidmark View Post
Be careful of the volume levels... the Invida N1 was the one I was interested in, but in real life wow, it was pretty loud! Youtube videos are pretty deceptive.

I use my car as a daily driver so I have to start her up at 5:00 am some times. I actually ended up going with the TRD cat back, which is quieter but has a really low tone to it. I actually love it, sounds mean but doesn't piss off the world!

If it was just a fun machine, I probably would've gone Invidia.
I DD mine and am considering the N1... which was a step down in turns of loudness from the GReddy EVO 3. Is it really THAT loud that you decided not to go with it? Granted, you did mention that you have to leave by 5:00am which is really early.

I leave at 8:00am, so I think most people should be awake by then, just don't want my neighbors to hate me.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #51
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not mine, but this is suppose to be a TRD cat back with Borla UEL. Stock piping in between so it still has the 2nd cat.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllQEFWr4Jg"]Frs with borla uel header and trd muffler - YouTube[/ame]

I have a TRD cat back and nothing else. I really enjoy the sound. No rasp. Not very loud. Nice deep tone and still sounds very nice everywhere in the rev range. Very happy with mine even if it is a tad pricy. I can care less for power in terms of a cat back. I would like to get a UEL header one day but in no rush. The header will wake it up, the rest of the exhaust is more for sound then much else, unless you absolutely want that extra 5 or so HP.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #52
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman_101 View Post
Not mine, but this is suppose to be a TRD cat back with Borla UEL. Stock piping in between so it still has the 2nd cat.

I have a TRD cat back and nothing else. I really enjoy the sound. No rasp. Not very loud. Nice deep tone and still sounds very nice everywhere in the rev range. Very happy with mine even if it is a tad pricy. I can care less for power in terms of a cat back. I would like to get a UEL header one day but in no rush. The header will wake it up, the rest of the exhaust is more for sound then much else, unless you absolutely want that extra 5 or so HP.

Also here a nice comparison between a UEL and EL header. This will make the biggest change of all. Do you want the Boxer Rumble(UEL), or straight 4 sound(EL).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phf07oHkiZs"]HKS EL full exhaust vs Borla UEL full Exhaust on the Scion FR-S - YouTube[/ame]

*Woops, wrong button hehehe.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #53
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman_101 View Post
Also here a nice comparison between a UEL and EL header. This will make the biggest change of all. Do you want the Boxer Rumble(UEL), or straight 4 sound(EL).

*Woops, wrong button hehehe.
This is the second time watching that video, I don't know why it actually sounds good now haha. I like the way uel sounds a lot. Preferably would get that.

Thanks for the videos man!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #54
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a fan of both the ARK exhausts. The catback exhaust would fit under your 2k budget but not the rest more than likely
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #55
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosoku View Post
I'm a fan of both the ARK exhausts. The catback exhaust would fit under your 2k budget but not the rest more than likely
What's it sound like?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #56
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
What's it sound like?
it sounds like you need to search youtube

here is a clip of the GRIP
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zk8ljxX0cs"]Scion FR-S & Subaru BRZ | ARK GRiP Exhaust with optional test pipe - YouTube[/ame]

DT-S
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU4wB4n3Fj4"]ARK DT-S Exhaust Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]