follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
Brinks

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nameless ELH VS JDL UEL Header

I'm kinda at a stand still at this point. I can't decide between the nameless ELH and the JDL UEL. My long term goal is to go with the innovative supercharger kit and lightin up the rotational mass. Overall just have a fun daily driver with plenty of low end torque.

Whatever header I choose will be paired with a 3" perrin resonated catback and a 3"nameless cat/resonated mid/overpipe and tune.

The numbers look good on both. The JDL looks to have a more even torque curve and has a good price point. On the other side the nameless has phanominal workmenship and appers to have more reasearch and development behind it. The thing that worries me about the Nameless is the dip in the low 3000 RPM range that go's below the stock numbers. Is the dip even a valid concern and is it even noticeable?

JDL 2.5 exhaust 93 tune

Nameless 3" exhaust 93 tune

Last edited by Brinks; 07-16-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
thunderlights

Correct me if im wrong but 3" exhausts are meant for tubro'd 86's and not N/A or supercharged, as it messes up the engines exhaust pressures, hence the low rpm drop in torque.
thunderlights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thunderlights For This Useful Post:
Brinks (07-16-2014), Venator (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Brinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlights View Post
Correct me if im wrong but 3" exhausts are meant for tubro'd 86's and not N/A or supercharged, as it messes up the engines exhaust pressures, hence the low rpm drop in torque.
I personally think this is a myth, But its up to interpretation. Everything that I have seen I has suggested that the 86's respond better across the board with a full 3".

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/3-...ults-and-tune/

More info on the topic http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21850
Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #4
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
You used my dyno results without my permission! I don't care so no worries. That day I did my dyno was extremely dense air day so those numbers are very unlikely to be repeatable unless you're in a cold rain forest. For the right price perhaps I'll sell my Innovate, headers, intake, charge pipe, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinks View Post
I'm kinda at a stand still at this point. I can't decide between the nameless ELH and the JDL UEL. My long term goal is to go with the innovative supercharger kit and lightin up the rotational mass. Overall just have a fun daily driver with plenty of low end torque.

Whatever header I choose will be paired with a 3" perrin resonated catback and a 3"nameless cat/resonated mid/overpipe and tune.

The numbers look good on both. The JDL looks to have a more even torque curve and has a good price point. On the other side the nameless has phanominal workmenship and appers to have more reasearch and development behind it. The thing that worries me about the Nameless is the dip in the low 3000 RPM range that go's below the stock numbers. Is the dip even a valid concern and is it even noticeable?

JDL 2.5 exhaust 93 tune

Nameless 3" exhaust 93 tune
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #5
Brinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
You used my dyno results without my permission! I don't care so no worries. That day I did my dyno was extremely dense air day so those numbers are very unlikely to be repeatable unless you're in a cold rain forest. For the right price perhaps I'll sell my Innovate, headers, intake, charge pipe, etc...
Sorry man, took it off the JDL website. Figured it was public knowledge since they were advertising it. So I guess it safe to say you wernt happy with the set up?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I personally think this is a myth, But its up to interpretation. Everything that I have seen I has suggested that the 86's respond better across the board with a full 3".

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/3-...ults-and-tune/

More info on the topic http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21850
It's not a myth. I tried using the 3" exhaust with a JDL UEL. On top of being a raspy fartcan of a sound, the low end power suffered. You could definitely feel the stutter at very low RPM till it finally gets the flow going. Went away quick when I swapped over to an Invidia N1 setup and catted FP.

Stick to 2.5" for N/A. 3" for turbo. Hell, even 2.5" for S/C is fine unless your plan is 450 whp or above.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-16-2014), ProjectD (07-16-2014), raven1231 (07-16-2014), ThatAsianBradah (02-18-2018)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
@stockysnail you dont post shit on the intrent and expect people to ask you for permission every time its posted or used
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Brinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
It's not a myth. I tried using the 3" exhaust with a JDL UEL. On top of being a raspy fartcan of a sound, the low end power suffered. You could definitely feel the stutter at very low RPM till it finally gets the flow going. Went away quick when I swapped over to an Invidia N1 setup and catted FP.

Stick to 2.5" for N/A. 3" for turbo. Hell, even 2.5" for S/C is fine unless your plan is 450 whp or above.
Did you have the car tuned after switching to a 3"?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Did you have the car tuned after switching to a 3"?
Yes. Nameless dyno plot is about how my car felt after tuned. The low end was sluggish, but the top end was pretty intense. Pipe diameter is too large at very low RPM. I didn't have a chance to get it on the dyno unfortunately.

Last edited by FR-S Matt; 07-16-2014 at 08:11 AM.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
@stockysnail you dont post shit on the intrent and expect people to ask you for permission every time its posted or used
I was joking, thus the no worries comment with the winkey face. Lighten up a little.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
I was joking so no worries. JDL never asked if they could use it but I could care less. Yes I'm happy with my kit and everyone compliments me on it. Getting a perfect tune with the innovate is more difficult than a turbo setup, but aside from that no complaints.

Quote:
Sorry man, took it off the JDL website. Figured it was public knowledge since they were advertising it. So I guess it safe to say you wernt happy with the set up?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlights View Post
3" is fine with a supercharger. It's what I run on my car. N/A it might hurt but once you go FI, you'll be fine. Here are 2 dyno's with almost identical setups using the Nameless header. Only real difference is that the top graph uses a 3" Nameless exhaust with stock intake and filter and the bottom one uses a 2.5" Nameless exhaust and has the Perrin 3" intake. Both are using the Innovate supercharger with 70mm pulley and on E85. The 3" made slightly higher numbers but it's almost negligable. I think if I had the Perrin intake I could squeeze out a couple extra hp. I went with a 3" because later on down the road I plan on going with the 335 Sprintex unit once I can get my hands on it.

But in regards to the OP's original question, you can't go wrong with either. Both are high quality headers that will yield great results.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
Brinks (07-16-2014), Lawnik (07-17-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Both nameless and JDL have exceptional quality. I don't think you could go wrong with either but while you are comparing those two why not have a look at P&L's EL header. Just to make sure you have all the info available.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
This is actually a better comparison than most threads. Here is something I'm interested in comparing a more.. "generous" stock curve to the nameless dyno.

Also are there any independent dyno numbers for the nameless header or any soundclips? That header had so much hype then just disappeared randomly.
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote