follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
HlfpriceWngs
:)

Drives: 2013 FR-S SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Extra care protection plans?

Hey guys,

I'm new here but.... I test drove an FR-S yesterday and I think I'm in love with this car.

Just wanted to know what some of your opinions are on the Gold and Platinum plans?

The sales rep. also mentioned that with the platinum plans you get your first 11 oil changes free.

Thanks
HlfpriceWngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
sergiomordo

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a platinum extended warranty, 7 years, 120k.. Couple reason I chose this.. Firstly it is transferable, so I thought the car might be more valuable if I decide to sell one day. Second, 2014 is just the second model year, and usually cars that are this new have issues. I wanted to have a piece of mind.. I got 500 bucks off the warranty price anyways.
sergiomordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
well theres a few ways you can look at this. Number 1: Free oil changes, 11 @ ~$50/ plus you get peace of mind on all repairs up 120k mi. ORRRRRR its a Toyota, all you have to do is give it regular maintenance, $40/ oil change, and it shouldn't have any break downs until 150-200k miles.

I did not buy any care plans because I had confidence in what I was buying.
FYI: Subaru's come with 3 year / 36k mile warranty and maintenance incl.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Maritime Storm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd, Whiteout
Garage
Looking at this from both sides, I'll tell you, Yes it is worth it. I work at a Toyota retailership and I own and FR-S, I have the Platinium 7yr/120K plan. I see how the ECP deals with certain non-warranty issues and in a lot of cases it will pay for itself. Not sure which plan you are looking at, mine came with 8 free oil changes not 11. The 2 perks are this, one it covers tires, road hazzard, 100%, 2 it puts in a loaner for however long your car is tied up in case of a B/O part.
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I thought about it a lot.

From my point of view, I'll be modifying the car. So the money spent on the warranty could be parts money instead, also, since I'll modify the car, there's a chance I'll void the warranty I'm paying for anyways.

As somebody who works in a parts department at a dealership I can tell you I've seen some large bills. We just sold a lady a transfer case, we gave her a great deal at $800. I think it's worth it if you plan to keep the car stock. I've given quite a few free tires out due to road hazards!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
HlfpriceWngs
:)

Drives: 2013 FR-S SWP
I'll most likely get the coverage just for peace of mind. Also, the way the roads around here can be, I can see needing the road hazard portion.

The only mods I would be doing is Intake/exhaust, since the stock exhaust is too quiet.

I hope that wouldn't be enough to void the warranty.

Thanks for the all the replies.
HlfpriceWngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HlfpriceWngs View Post
I'll most likely get the coverage just for peace of mind. Also, the way the roads around here can be, I can see needing the road hazard portion.

The only mods I would be doing is Intake/exhaust, since the stock exhaust is too quiet.

I hope that wouldn't be enough to void the warranty.

Thanks for the all the replies.
Look into a muffler delete. I love mine. Cheap, not too loud, and if I ever have a problem with the car it'll be 15 minutes to put the factory muffler back on
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
As others have posted I would recommend this warranty package if you plan on keeping the car stock. Otherwise you will be at risk of no warranty coverage based on what you modify on the car. I just stuck with the factory warranty. I plan on modding the car next year when my warrant expires.
AVodka14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 AM   #9
Maritime Storm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd, Whiteout
Garage
Yeah Headbanger, I here ya. Their are certainly more than a few parts prices in our system where you wonder where the hell the accountants came up with the pricing. Intermediate steering shafts and Tundra P/S lines, Rav4 cupholder inserts come to mind. I wish Toyota would review some of these, nothing ticks off a customer worse than to feel reemed over a simple item, makes them start to rethink looking at that Ford they were looking at before buying their new Toyota.
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Frozen_skidmark

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Meh! I figure I have 3 years factory. If it isn't broke by then it's probably going to be ok. I'm fully capable of doing most things on my own and have access to a shop, so it depends on what your situation is. The finance manager was pissed when I turned it down, lol! I bought a corolla there too, and they're pretty much a bunch of useless fartbags... So I didn't feel like wasting my money this time around.

Frozen_skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote