follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
jshum

Drives: Scion - FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hi, I also have the same problem with the negative camber. I achieved -1.5 camber in the front and ever since my steering wheel is tilted a little bit to the left when I drive straight. I also had them 0 out the toe and it is still affecting. Will this be an issue on tire wears or handling? I am tracking my car this following weekend. Should I be worried or something? As far as I can tell, it feels great except the steering wheel part. Thank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Zero out your toe, or run a tiny bit of toe-in (1/16"), but max your camber.

You'll like how it feels.
jshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #16
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshum View Post
Hi, I also have the same problem with the negative camber. I achieved -1.5 camber in the front and ever since my steering wheel is tilted a little bit to the left when I drive straight. I also had them 0 out the toe and it is still affecting. Will this be an issue on tire wears or handling? I am tracking my car this following weekend. Should I be worried or something? As far as I can tell, it feels great except the steering wheel part. Thank!
Your steering wheel should be straight. Either the thrust angle is off, or the steering rack is off, but it should be straight.

I can't tell which it is without an alignment printout or numbers, but either way, the shop should not have let you leave without a straight steering wheel (unless you have uneven tire wear).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
jshum

Drives: Scion - FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I did not print out the sheet. Here is what I remember:

Front camber
-1.5 left -1.4 right

front toe
0 out in the mid
(-0.01 left 0.09 right) I think...

Rear camber
-0.9 left -1.2 right

Rear Toe
I forgot the exact number, but it is very close to 0

Basically, I had them to align everything to factory spec except front camber.
Sorry, I am not sure if this will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your steering wheel should be straight. Either the thrust angle is off, or the steering rack is off, but it should be straight.

I can't tell which it is without an alignment printout or numbers, but either way, the shop should not have let you leave without a straight steering wheel (unless you have uneven tire wear).
jshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I did not print out the sheet. Here is what I remember:

Front camber
-1.5 left -1.4 right

front toe
0 out in the mid
(-0.01 left 0.09 right) I think...

Rear camber
-0.9 left -1.2 right

Rear Toe
I forgot the exact number, but it is very close to 0

Basically, I had them to align everything to factory spec except front camber.
Sorry, I am not sure if this will help.
Check tire pressures, and swap your left and right side tires (front left to right right, and rear left to rear right).

If it still pulls, you need an alignment. Have the original shop warranty that alignment, because numbers are like that are unacceptable in my book.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #19
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
My guy had the same problem. Our cars don't have an exact center mark so they have to do it by feel. He put it back on the rack and readjusted everything a 2nd time.

Just FYI on home camber adjustments - I "thought" I had mine maxed (used a jack, whiteline bolts on max setting) - I wasn't even close based on the initial reading at the align shop. It's so much better now that's it was done right.

More info in the alignment thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25001
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I got a LongAcre camber gauge so I could set my camber myself. Then I just take it to the alignment shop and tell them to zero the toe. Keeps guesswork and variables to a minimum.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #21
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Go to a shop that does alignments for track cars. They will talk to you before hand and ask what you want specifically. It may cost more but it's better than having to spend time and money doing it twice.

My crash bolts they were able to get -1.3. I don't know much about alignment so I let them do what they want with the toe. They put -0.05 in front and 0.04 in rear. Maybe next time i'll try 0 all around see how I like that but I have no complaints with my current alignment.

Tags
alignment, help please?, oem crash bolts, suspension noob