follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
F/I EcuTek Discussion!!!!!

So I lack tuning expertise and want to clear a few misconceptions. Please correct me where i'm wrong.

1.Ecutek modifies the stock ECU.
2.The stock ecu learns and adjusts based on your driving habits.
3.Ecutek does not stop these adjustments
4.When tuning with Ecutek on a forced induction application one can not simply bolt the kit on, flash the ecu, tune it on a dyno, and let it hit the road.
5.Basic tuning is followed by (several days/hours/weeks) of driving to allow the ecu to adapt
6.Intermediate tune is done after the ecu has finished its learning curve and logging has been done
7.final tune comes usually after 1 or more intermediate tunes
8.final tunes dials in the tune for the specified final conditions

Now what i'm asking is simply this;

Can a day of dyno tuning done after the kit is installed be the end all be all of the tune before it reaches my hands?

Last edited by BadBRZ; 06-22-2014 at 02:00 AM.
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBRZ View Post
So I lack tuning expertise and want to clear a few misconceptions. Please correct me where i'm wrong.

1.Ecutek modifies the stock ECU.
2.The stock ecu learns and adjusts based on your driving habits.
3.Ecutek does not stop these adjustments
4.When tuning with Ecutek on a forced induction application one can not simply bolt the kit on flash the ecu tune it on a dyno and let it hit the road.
5.Basic tuning is followed by (several days/hours/weeks) of driving to allow the ecu to adapt
6.Intermediate tune is done after the ecu has finished its learning curve and logging has been done
7. final tune comes usually after 1 or more intermediate tunes
8.final tunes dials in the tune for the specified final conditions

Can a day of dyno tuning done after the kit is installed be the end all be all of the tune before it reaches my hands?
1. All tuniing platform modify ecu table data not just ecutek
2. Stock ecu programming learns fueling and ignition advance adjustments based on fuel your using and current conditions eg temp atmostveric pressure ect, no rearly driving habits
3. Generally no tuners disable this learning process althoug it is possible to disable some of it, its generally required to make fine adjustments to tune based on factors in point 2
4. if tune is good it should just be flash and go, however it might need a bit of onroad testing to smooth out any driveability or other minor issues
5,6,7,8 . Somtimes small revision need to be done espacially if it a new type of kit and tuner has not seen it before, but if it a tried and tested kit initiall tune will be pretty close. Most tuners will offer a couple of revvisions or updates at no charge or a discount rate as they refine the tune or discover new or better ways of doing things.

Ecutek is a good platform but depending on your application or needs their are other options

Ecutek like Open Flash Tablet ot Tactrix Ecuflash or BZREdit ect modify the ecut tables that determine the fueling ignition cam timing ect of the engine.

At this stage Ecutek is the only platform that offeres map switching on the fly any the ability to hijack unneeded input sensors such as evap purge or second O2 sensor and use then for alternate functions such as overboost cut ect, and use the inputs for cutom map tables.

If your after a plug and play supercharger or turbo kit you might want to look at the

www.openflashtablet.com site
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
BadBRZ
Banned

Based on my build (see my thread) this is a one off kit so there won't be a canned tune that will be fine tuned.

My concern is i get a good tune then after a few weeks or days i'll start to get knock from the ecu "learning" and Boom!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:20 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Based on my build (see my thread) this is a one off kit so there won't be a canned tune that will be fine tuned.

My concern is i get a good tune then after a few weeks or days i'll start to get knock from the ecu "learning" and Boom!!!
Not unless the tune is rubbish

the ecu sensors detect knock and reduce ignition advance to try to eliminate the knock however there are limits to this adjustment, so the tune need to be done properly and not rely on the ecu safety net to correct major issues, the ecu learning is for fine adjustments due fuel type octane atmospheric pressure temperature ect, it not ment to compensate for a rubbish tune.

Same as fueling the ecu will attempt to compensate for minor fueling issues but the tune has to be in the ball park for this to happen.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Are you going to be driving away from the shop after the install without an FI tune flashed?
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:

Where are you located?

Short answer to your question is yes, a day of dyno tuning can get you a proper tune for your setup, given the install is correct without issues (no vacuum/boost leaks, all things installed and working properly, etc.).

The EcuTek and EcuTek RaceRom tuning software is currently the best on the market to properly tune a turbocharged BRZ/FR-S. With its custom mapping capabilities, we can implement full and proper boost control (especially high-boost setups), electronic over-boost protection, custom boost control compensations (temp, altitude, etc.), and other safe-guards, all within the ECU programming.

If you can make it to the Central Florida Area we can help you with this. If not, find a good EcuTek tuner with turbo experience that you can reach within your area.

- Bob
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
BadBRZ
Banned

I've got a thner locally who will be handling my car, it wl be dyno tuned as well before i drive off. My concern is derived from my previous experience with the car from another tuner who said after i flash his base tune i need to drive it for a few days, log it and then go for re-interation number 2,3,4 etc
Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've got a thner locally who will be handling my car, it wl be dyno tuned as well before i drive off. My concern is derived from my previous experience with the car from another tuner who said after i flash his base tune i need to drive it for a few days, log it and then go for re-interation number 2,3,4 etc
I have a one off kit too, took the plunge, had @jamesm tune it, learned a bit from him about tuning and it was the best decision I ever made on this car. I have had three different tunes in my car, James is the absolute best.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
jamesm (06-22-2014), whitefrs (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
nelsmar

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A car that was properly tuned doesn't need to sit around and "learn". A number of tuners have used afr learning in the Ecu for NA application but for forced induction the majority disable the learning under boost and dial it in for your specific car so it's right without any wait time. Also if your local tuner has not tuned on this vehie platform be careful. This Ecu can be a handful.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
BadBRZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
A car that was properly tuned doesn't need to sit around and "learn". A number of tuners have used afr learning in the Ecu for NA application but for forced induction the majority disable the learning under boost and dial it in for your specific car so it's right without any wait time. Also if your local tuner has not tuned on this vehie platform be careful. This Ecu can be a handful.
My tuner has tuned these cars and I've heard from people here that he is great. I'm just trying to wrap my head around tuning
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
nelsmar

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
My tuner has tuned these cars and I've heard from people here that he is great. I'm just trying to wrap my head around tuning
Then you might want to be asking him these questions as well =P
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
With a proper tune your ECU should only be needing to make adjustments when conditions change such as gas quality/octane, elevation, temperature, etc. If your tuner is unable to get it right after some time on the dyno, like your previous experience, then you really need to find someone more competent. Leaving the base tune so far off that it requires ECU learning to operate correctly is a sign of someone who really can't get it right themselves.

The OEM learning curves allow the manufacturer to have one tune for every car pushed out the door even though the engines respond slightly differently. If they took the time to spot on tune every single car as your tuner should then learning would be very minimal.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
BadBRZ
Banned

My current tuner is not the same as my previous experience. I am explicitly using a local tuner with experience over the previous remote tuning option. I just hope to educate my self on ecutek forced induction tuning.