follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #393
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzz View Post
Heading out around 3:00 am tomorrow to go pick it up (traveling from Massachusetts). I'll have a nice 420 mile drive to test it out on the way back, and looking forward to it

I have a nice pic of your car and I am Jealous your getting the water meth before I do . Its looking great!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #394
Blizzz

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
I have a nice pic of your car and I am Jealous your getting the water meth before I do . Its looking great!
Awesome, send it to me I actually will not be able to pick up the car tomorrow unfortunately... PTuning being as meticulous as they are (and much appreciated) want to hang on to the car for a few extra days to test it in non-dyno conditions in different temps etc to make sure it will be ready for pickup. We're kind of testing new territory with a 93 octane tune as a fail-safe for an empty WMI tank, or if the flow rate is not correct as well as dialing in a full 50/50 water meth tune for everyday driving. For clarification, should a fail-safe condition occur where something isn't right with the water meth injection, the ECU will automatically swap over to the 93 octane tune effectively making a pretty seamless transition without need for driver response. I plan on always running it on WMI, but in the case where you might run out of boost juice or something it's always nice to know you can still run the car and run it hard without worrying about the tune. It should definitely be interesting, and I'm sure worth the wait.
Blizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #395
kanundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzz View Post
Awesome, send it to me I actually will not be able to pick up the car tomorrow unfortunately... PTuning being as meticulous as they are (and much appreciated) want to hang on to the car for a few extra days to test it in non-dyno conditions in different temps etc to make sure it will be ready for pickup. We're kind of testing new territory with a 93 octane tune as a fail-safe for an empty WMI tank, or if the flow rate is not correct as well as dialing in a full 50/50 water meth tune for everyday driving. For clarification, should a fail-safe condition occur where something isn't right with the water meth injection, the ECU will automatically swap over to the 93 octane tune effectively making a pretty seamless transition without need for driver response. I plan on always running it on WMI, but in the case where you might run out of boost juice or something it's always nice to know you can still run the car and run it hard without worrying about the tune. It should definitely be interesting, and I'm sure worth the wait.
pm me your email or phone # haha.

I also heard you can run some windshield washer fluid from Walmart as Water meth according to a good friend who is recently running water meth as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #396
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I also heard you can run some windshield washer fluid from Walmart as Water meth according to a good friend who is recently running water meth as well.
Windshield washer fluid does often contain alcohol (as an antifreeze agent), which makes it a water/alcohol blend. That said, it also contains dyes. I can tell you from first hand experience that those dyes settle, cake, clog, and disrupt/jam solenoids with WMI systems.

I highly recommend finding unadulterated alcohol to mix with water. After my issues with the dyes, I switch to denatured alcohol/distilled water mix.

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllDayJonRay For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #397
kanundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJonRay View Post
Windshield washer fluid does often contain alcohol (as an antifreeze agent), which makes it a water/alcohol blend. That said, it also contains dyes. I can tell you from first hand experience that those dyes settle, cake, clog, and disrupt/jam solenoids with WMI systems.

I highly recommend finding unadulterated alcohol to mix with water. After my issues with the dyes, I switch to denatured alcohol/distilled water mix.
Ill be sure to relay that information! Its funny though because most of them will have some sort of dye in it, even the snow performance boost juice has pink dye

http://www.snowperformance.net/boost-juice.html

Thanks!

Last edited by kanundrum; 06-04-2014 at 03:26 PM.
kanundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #398
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ill be sure to relay that information! Its funny though because most of them will have some sort of dye in it, even the snow performance boost juice has pink dye

http://www.snowperformance.net/boost-juice.html

Thanks!
You can just use the yellow Heet bottles found at the autoparts stores. I think it is like 99% Pure methanol with no dyes or anything. That's what I used when I was running a meth system.

Windshield washer fluid here in the bay area CA doesn't contain alcohol. I think during the winter some shops near the mountains are allowed to sell it with alcohol but otherwise I think it is illegal in CA.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sw20kosh For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #399
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I was fortunate enough to work at a dealership at the time, and we always have 5 gallon cans of denatured alcohol to 'borrow'.

If you're going to be running WMI on a regular basis, it's probably worth it to take a look around and see if you can get some alcohol that hasn't been rebranded by distributors with a premium applied.

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 AM   #400
DrewsBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone with the kit know if you can run a Perrin oil cooler and not interfere with anything? I'm running the Perrin OC now and want to make sure the piping wouldn't interfere with the sandwich plate.

Last edited by DrewsBRZ; 06-05-2014 at 07:42 AM.
DrewsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #401
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBRZ View Post
Does anyone with the kit know if you can run a Perrin oil cooler and not interfere with anything? I'm running the Perrin OC now and want to make sure the piping wouldn't interfere with the sandwich plate.
Just by looking at the photos I would say no. But do call Patrick at PTuning as he is the resident expert with compatibility questions.

Looking at the Perrin blog photos, the lines run down the same path as the cold side IC piping and the cooler looks like it bolts right where the IC sits.

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/pe...-s-oil-cooler/

Driver side cool pipe path.

Intercooler

Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #402
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
@ptuning How's the oil coolers coming along? The weather's starting to heat up.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mkivsoopra For This Useful Post:
rb6freak (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #403
JerryMichaels7

Drives: Whiteout FRS
For those of you who installed this yourself how bad was it? and about how long do you think it would take? I have access to a lift and all the tools I could want
Old 06-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #404
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMichaels7 View Post
For those of you who installed this yourself how bad was it? and about how long do you think it would take? I have access to a lift and all the tools I could want
Pretty easy when following the PTuning install guide. You should be able to install over a weekend no problem, less the clutch. I would suggest getting the clutch done in advanced. I took my time and did it over a few week period. @mkivsoopra on the other hand knocked it out by himself in like 8 hours, including clutch gauges etc.. He's an animal.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #405
JerryMichaels7

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Yeh planned on doing clutch in advance. Old guy that runs the hobby shop on base is cool as shit and even tho he doesn't have to help he has helped whether I needed it or not, plus I have another buddy that will help.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #406
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMichaels7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6freak View Post
Pretty easy when following the PTuning install guide. You should be able to install over a weekend no problem, less the clutch. I would suggest getting the clutch done in advanced. I took my time and did it over a few week period. @mkivsoopra on the other hand knocked it out by himself in like 8 hours, including clutch gauges etc.. He's an animal.
LOL.. not that fast. My own install took the better part of the weekend with some extra hands, then a few evenings after work to wrap up some loose ends.

I helped another member install his kit and we knocked it out overnight.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ptuning, turbo kit