follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #43
leoh007

Drives: 2014 Monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got my A/T monogram with a 72 month term @ 3.4%. 4000$ down. Car was 29704$. Payments are 446$ a month with GAP and tire protection
leoh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #44
BrianFRS

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Whiteout MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4ith View Post
Same mentality when I decided to lease!

I'm 24 also with a score of 777...should've broken the car in with a drive to Vegas...

Some #'s for you to play with, my lease payments are $343 for 36 months/36k miles, with $3k down on a Monogram. Seeing that you want a base, depending on your down, it should definitely be less than or really close to mine as the Monogram has a sticker of 3K more.

I don't think the 2014's will drop lower than 1.9% either though. Look at their current deals for 2013's and it should be really similar.

This is the good thing about Scion's "Pure" lease things and you're in Tier 1 so you should qualify for this deal.

http://www.scion.com/promotions/pure...t=e#model=FR-S

Yeah, we're basically in the same boat here. Lol. But I've spoken with other places and they gave me a better deal. 1.9% at 350 per month, with 0 down. I'd say that's pretty good.

1995 Honda Accord - Maroon - RIP
2005 Chevy Aveo - Silver
2009 Suzuki GSX-R600 - Pearl White - RIP
2014 Scion FR-S - Whiteout - CURRENT
BrianFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #45
BrianFRS

Quote:
Definitely budget for insurance BEFORE you crunch numbers. I pay my annual policy all at once because I can and it's cheaper.

I could've/would've done 20%(I thought 20 was the recommended?) if I financed but I didn't want to be tied down to a 6 year payment of $400+/month. Also leased in case they turbo the car or the value of the drops significantly and I have a warranty.

Assuming you just graduated in a pretty stable career, and you're not stretching your budget too thin (hope you're smart enough to not fully disclose your budget as some people here are already assuming), you should be ok.

Some food for thought for those who saved up to buy it all at once...you can't buy back your time. I've read on a random forum somewhere on rolex's that some guy waited 5 years to save $2k on his watch...that's 5 year's he could have been wearing the watch. The time it takes anyone our age to actually save up to buy this car straight cash, that's time wasted being envious of drivers. Unless one lived in a cave and had no social life than yea you can probably save in 1-2 years. And by the time we REALLY save up for this car, how many years would we be able to enjoy it before the wife makes you sell it for a van?

***Assuming a college grad is smart enough to save for the engagement ring, wedding, and down payment on a house that should all happen around the age of 30 + or - a few.***

Not implying that the advice everyone's been giving here is wrong, just different for everyone! All the advice in this thread is very helpful and should be taken seriously into your decision. Lol I'm only giving you the benefit of the doubt bc I know how it feels to have people assume less of you because we're so young. Anyone in the sciences field should be able to easily afford the finance. Yes, those can argue about getting laid off or other circumstances, but again, giving you the benefit of the doubt! Should go without saying that if you get yourself fired for doing somethign wrong, you're an idiot...

Thank you for this. Lol. I understand it's commonplace to think most young people can't manage their finances, and for a long time, that was true for me also. I have been rearranging my life, and making better choices, slowly but surely.

With that said, I do agree on the not being able to buy back time. I've already wasted a year, almost two, since this car has been released. I could wait some more, and save up for a decent down payment, but in the time that I would be saving, I could be using that same money on the car itself. Yes, I might end up with a higher monthly payment, but not by much. And I'm not the kind of person that needs extra cash to go out every weekend. That doesn't mean I won't have money for emergencies, like taking my dog to the vet. I've taken that into consideration too. Along with insurance, along with maintenance.

I'm actually really excited about the idea of staying home, and detailing the car, or making minor mods, or even just sitting in it. That's how much this car means to me. It's basically my childhood dream come to life. All that's stopping me is doubt. But I know I can afford this car. As long as I make the right choices and stick with it. Losing my job, that's something I can prevent. And I work hard, even with only a year of real world experience. I'm fortunate enough to have landed the job I have now, and I won't let anything take that away from me. The only way from here is up.

But I do appreciate all the advice everyone has given me on the matter. This community is one of the best among the car world. And it's only just begun.

2005 Chevy Aveo - Silver
Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #46
LXXXV1

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram, Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFRS View Post
Thank you for this. Lol. I understand it's commonplace to think most young people can't manage their finances, and for a long time, that was true for me also. I have been rearranging my life, and making better choices, slowly but surely.

With that said, I do agree on the not being able to buy back time. I've already wasted a year, almost two, since this car has been released. I could wait some more, and save up for a decent down payment, but in the time that I would be saving, I could be using that same money on the car itself. Yes, I might end up with a higher monthly payment, but not by much. And I'm not the kind of person that needs extra cash to go out every weekend. That doesn't mean I won't have money for emergencies, like taking my dog to the vet. I've taken that into consideration too. Along with insurance, along with maintenance.

I'm actually really excited about the idea of staying home, and detailing the car, or making minor mods, or even just sitting in it. That's how much this car means to me. It's basically my childhood dream come to life. All that's stopping me is doubt. But I know I can afford this car. As long as I make the right choices and stick with it. Losing my job, that's something I can prevent. And I work hard, even with only a year of real world experience. I'm fortunate enough to have landed the job I have now, and I won't let anything take that away from me. The only way from here is up.

But I do appreciate all the advice everyone has given me on the matter. This community is one of the best among the car world. And it's only just begun.
Coming from someone with a very similar situation...put aside your doubts because this car is amazing. I can give you a list of pros that I believe outweigh the cons for someone in our situation that's looking to lease but I don't want this to get tl;dr lol. Judging by what you've said already, we both have a lot in common. I sometimes walk into my garage just to stare at my bike and car. I look forward to washing her every other week and love tinkering with small mods. We also both ride WHITE bikes! Don't sell your bike for the FR-S btw...socal roads are too nice to give bikes up!

2007 Honda CBR600RR-Pearl White/Silver - Totaled
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram-Whiteout - #LXXXV1 (build)
φφκα
LXXXV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LXXXV1 For This Useful Post:
BrianFRS (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #47
BrianFRS

Quote:
Coming from someone with a very similar situation...put aside your doubts because this car is amazing. I can give you a list of pros that I believe outweigh the cons for someone in our situation that's looking to lease but I don't want this to get tl;dr lol. Judging by what you've said already, we both have a lot in common. I sometimes walk into my garage just to stare at my bike and car. I look forward to washing her every other week and love tinkering with small mods. We also both ride WHITE bikes! Don't sell your bike for the FR-S btw...socal roads are too nice to give bikes up!
I wish it were under better circumstances, but I recently was hit on my bike, and now I'm without transportation. This is mainly why I'm getting the car now. Otherwise, I would've waited till it was paid off. But maybe it was a sign. Stay safe out there, but you already know that. I plan to ride again, but not anytime soon.

2005 Chevy Aveo - Silver
Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #48
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Holy shit I thought 72 months was too long to finance a car, did not even know 84 was an option.

Get an interest rate <=2% and finance for no more than 60mo. I did and my payment is only $450 which should be within budget.

Never ever ever ever tell a dealer how much you want your payment to be, they will screw you every time.
Always negotiate price of car and nothing else.
Go to any financial calculator on the internet and determine for yourself what your payment will be based off price, interest, and term BEFORE YOU GO TO DEALER.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #49
andrewmay9

Drives: 2014 scion frs asphalt
If you can afford it you should do as short a period as possible to reduce the amount of interest paid and reduce the overall price you are paying. The lower the period the lower the financing rate should be. I am doing 36 months at 1.9% so the interest i am paying is actually less than 500 whilst it would have been a few thousand for the longer periods!
andrewmay9 is offline   Reply With Quote