follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #29
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 View Post
That dealer knew exactly what he was getting. He put $5000 on the deal, but he probably gave you $1800 ACV, which is what he will get at the auction for it. I was a used car dealer. I went to scion with my 03 Boxster. They gave me $15600 on paper but sold it auction for $11000 which I knew was the ACV on it. It is a way of getting around "True pricing ". FR-Ss are going through the auction for $17000 to $21000. If he took your FR-S in on trade, he probably didn't pay more than $15000. It still works out to be a great deal for both parties.

John
Hehehe....you just blew everyone's minds.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #30
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
If the Vanos system has an issue, it's a very expensive fix

Nick C.
I've done 2 cars in my garage with the special service tools....
Never again

I can't imagine what the dealership would charge, and they probably only install new/reman VANOS units and don't rebuild them which would increase the cost to the customer

If it was ticking/loss of power, it definately sounds like classic vanos rattle with a bit of sticking thrown in for good measure
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #31
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3r0pusH View Post
While a good story for you, you may want to delete this. Don't know about being able to go back on the deal, but maybe the dealer could have some recourse for both the price of the car and the trade in?
Dealers screw people all the time, no harm in a reversal once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Others' actions shouldn't affect your moral decisions.
It's the car business, when in Rome.....

I wouldn't worry at all about this thread.

Last edited by jeepmor; 05-01-2014 at 09:01 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #32
A3r0pusH

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Dealers screw people all the time, no harm in a reversal once in a while.
I just wouldn't want my thread to end up coming back to bite me much like people who post things on Facebook only to have it be used as evidence. Glad op was able to get a good deal out of it, but maybe broadcasting it isnt the best option.

Sent from my pos phone using tapatalk
A3r0pusH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #33
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
OP, did you mention that you forgot to do any sort of maintenance on the BMW?
Buyer beware if OP sells anything on the forum. Sad, but not unexpected to see so many cheering her on.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #34
MoebiusStrip

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I did do maintenance on the car, just in this case I hadn't done it for a while. The car was maintained and repaired (most done by myself, slowly became a BMW mechanic) for most of the 3 years that I owned it. Unfortunately in this case, both time and money were not available or were put towards more important things (like you know, food, shelter).

It wasn't until recently (within the past three months) that my income has gotten to the point that fixing both the BMW and my husbands car was a possibility. I was going to have both cars in the shop next week to get EVERYTHING fixed on them, but the car did not make it that long, obviously. (husbands car is being spruced up as we speak)

I was hoping to get rid of the BMW anyway, and this was just the push I needed to do so. Please don't make any negative assumptions about me, I just joined because I have a passion for cars, especially this one, as it is the first sports car I've ever owned, and the most costly purchase of my life (without counting education costs).

I will admit I made a stupid mistake with letting the beemer go as long as it did without regular maintenance, and I've already kicked my own ass over it, and like I said, it wont ever happen again. So can't we all just get along?
MoebiusStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #35
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoebiusStrip View Post
I did do maintenance on the car, just in this case I hadn't done it for a while. The car was maintained and repaired (most done by myself, slowly became a BMW mechanic) for most of the 3 years that I owned it. Unfortunately in this case, both time and money were not available or were put towards more important things (like you know, food, shelter).

It wasn't until recently (within the past three months) that my income has gotten to the point that fixing both the BMW and my husbands car was a possibility. I was going to have both cars in the shop next week to get EVERYTHING fixed on them, but the car did not make it that long, obviously. (husbands car is being spruced up as we speak)

I was hoping to get rid of the BMW anyway, and this was just the push I needed to do so. Please don't make any negative assumptions about me, I just joined because I have a passion for cars, especially this one, as it is the first sports car I've ever owned, and the most costly purchase of my life (without counting education costs).

I will admit I made a stupid mistake with letting the beemer go as long as it did without regular maintenance, and I've already kicked my own ass over it, and like I said, it wont ever happen again. So can't we all just get along?
If it was the VANOS, there is no preventative maintenance in the world that would have prevented it from going "bad"

When I think older E36/E46 I think of exploding radiators, torn sub-frames, bent diff bolts, and a rattling VANOS
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #36
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
I would be embarrassed to admit that I was that dishonest, but YMMV.
why? it's their job to take a look and figure out what its worth to them...

OP, good for you! I am feeling a bit jealous. Those e46 cars had a lot of motor problems mostly due to lack of maintenance...
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote