follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #1597
Tenchi

Drives: Silver Ignition 6MT 10 series FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FT-86 SpeedFactory Catted UEL Header

Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #1598
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Lol

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Defiantly not legal due to noise laws. :/
Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #1599
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
Defiantly not legal due to noise laws. :/

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #1600
pnig

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Got my header installed after a painful ordeal. It was a nightmare, but it had nothing to do with the FT86SF header. The fine gentlemen who installed my overpipe and frontpipe for me decided they were going to crossthread the left nut that goes onto the stock header where it mates to the overpipe. It was bad. Very bad. It looks like they forced it all the way down. There were no threads left and it was smooth, and they welded the nut onto the flange. It took 6 hours for me to cut through the shitty weld and the nut with a dremel. If any of you have been down there, you know there isn't much clearance to fit much of anything. I managed to get the job done without cutting into anything else, but as a result I sneezed metal shavings for a day and a half.
I got the new header installed, only to end up finding an exhaust leak at the overpipe/frontpipe mate that wasn't there before. I tried to seal it with high-temp RTV, and it helped for a day. The leak has come back. I have an appointment to get the car tuned on Wednesday morning, and will have the leak fixed then.
So far my impressions of the FT86SF header are great. It sounds fantastic and I feel like it cleared up that torque dip nicely. More info later this week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pnig For This Useful Post:
enjoyminutemaid (04-21-2014), FT-86 SpeedFactory (04-20-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #1601
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Got a chance to meet up with @Sypher over the weekend to check out the headers. I'm quite impressed with how they looked and sounded and my fears of it being too loud have been quelled somewhat after taking a ride with him. A "warm" start was slightly louder than I expected, but was ok. He (and his fiance, who I'd take it as the better judge of the two lol) did mention though that cold starts were very loud, as I would expect. We both had the Nameless over/frontpipe combo, and both agreed that it seems like most of the noise was coming from that. @leicaboss hope that helps...
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
leicaboss (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #1602
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Got a chance to meet up with @Sypher over the weekend to check out the headers. I'm quite impressed with how they looked and sounded and my fears of it being too loud have been quelled somewhat after taking a ride with him. A "warm" start was slightly louder than I expected, but was ok. He (and his fiance, who I'd take it as the better judge of the two lol) did mention though that cold starts were very loud, as I would expect. We both had the Nameless over/frontpipe combo, and both agreed that it seems like most of the noise was coming from that. @leicaboss hope that helps...
How's the rumble on the setup? I want a rumbly yet SOMEWHAT quiet (nothing extremely raspy and obnoxiously loud) setup exhaust note. Somewhat to a stock hatchback 08-14 rumble.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #1603
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
How's the rumble on the setup? I want a rumbly yet SOMEWHAT quiet (nothing extremely raspy and obnoxiously loud) setup exhaust note. Somewhat to a stock hatchback 08-14 rumble.
I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. Rumble was good and subdued between 2-3k rpm, which is what I was really curious about, since this is what I will be hearing 90% of the time DD, very similar to my previous 06 wrx wagon. Does definitely get louder as your get on it around 4-5k rpm, then, oddly starts to sounds EL again at around 5.5-6k rpm, which is kinda cool. As far as I can tell, based on what I've seen on videos and in person, rasp and noise depends on what you have down stream, ie overpipe/frontpipe, cat back, etc. I believe FT86SF did a video earlier with the headers and stock everything else, and it was significantly more quiet, just with some rumble.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
akahenry (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #1604
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Been following this thread for a while.

Just curious, anyone pass any sort of state emissions test with this header?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #1605
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Been following this thread for a while.

Just curious, anyone pass any sort of state emissions test with this header?

In PA at least it would probably only pass for the first couple years before any "sniffer tests" occur and then would need to run the secondary cat to meet emissions spec

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #1606
dem00n

Quote:
In PA at least it would probably only pass for the first couple years before any "sniffer tests" occur and then would need to run the secondary cat to meet emissions spec

Each state is different, in New York a new car has two years before emissions testing starts.

Even then, i'm still curious for people passing with this header and an aftermarket/stock 2nd cat as well.

There's not a lot of info on this forum about passing emissions with a full exhaust system, but yet again there aren't many states that require it.

I'm not a big fan of changing whole exhausts over night just to pass a test...
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #1607
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnig View Post
Got my header installed after a painful ordeal. It was a nightmare, but it had nothing to do with the FT86SF header. The fine gentlemen who installed my overpipe and frontpipe for me decided they were going to crossthread the left nut that goes onto the stock header where it mates to the overpipe. It was bad. Very bad. It looks like they forced it all the way down. There were no threads left and it was smooth, and they welded the nut onto the flange. It took 6 hours for me to cut through the shitty weld and the nut with a dremel. If any of you have been down there, you know there isn't much clearance to fit much of anything. I managed to get the job done without cutting into anything else, but as a result I sneezed metal shavings for a day and a half.
I got the new header installed, only to end up finding an exhaust leak at the overpipe/frontpipe mate that wasn't there before. I tried to seal it with high-temp RTV, and it helped for a day. The leak has come back. I have an appointment to get the car tuned on Wednesday morning, and will have the leak fixed then.
So far my impressions of the FT86SF header are great. It sounds fantastic and I feel like it cleared up that torque dip nicely. More info later this week.
jesus christ what a nightmare

edit: did they tell you they did any of that stuff or did you only find out when you went to install the header?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #1608
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Each state is different, in New York a new car has two years before emissions testing starts.

Even then, i'm still curious for people passing with this header and an aftermarket/stock 2nd cat as well.

There's not a lot of info on this forum about passing emissions with a full exhaust system, but yet again there aren't many states that require it.

I'm not a big fan of changing whole exhausts over night just to pass a test...
I did say "Pa at least" I know each state is different

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #1609
dem00n

Quote:
I did say "Pa at least" I know each state is different

Shall i educate you on European and Japanese emissions as well?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #1610
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Shall i educate you on European and Japanese emissions as well?

Do it bro

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?