follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
xZAMx

Drives: '13 FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you could do it all over again...

Background: About to graduate college with a degree in Computer Science, and I’m about to move from Chicago to Houston pick up a nice job in Houston with a good salary. I’ve been in the Scion scene with my xB for 5 years. I love it, and would like to stay in it. The people are amazing, and they act as my extended family.

I’m looking at getting the hot lava or asphalt MT monogram series from my local Toyota dealership. My good friend is a car salesman there, and “says” he can give me a decent deal on my trade in. I’m about to get it appraised this Friday, and I will post back the number I will be getting.

So questions I have for you guys!
1.) Is the monogram series worth it in your eyes? - I like the fact that they already have the JDM head lights, and the push button start. The heated seats won’t do me much in Houston =/
2.) I really want to get a clear bra for the front end of the car, what sections are more prone to chipping than others?
3.) Should I wait for the 2015 version to come out? I’m still doing research, but I still haven’t found out if the displacement is going to be bigger, or if TRD plans on coming out with a SC for it. I still need to do my h/w there. Regardless, I’d still go aftermarket turbo setup so I don’t have a bigger car payment each month.
4.) What are some inexpensive MUST needed mods people recommend before anything major e.g. wheels coils etc.
5.) I’m not a huge fan of the red stitching, and red accents with the seats. Is there any thing I can do about the stitching? Anyone have Clazzios?
5.) If there is anything else you could do differently, or if you’re satisfied with what you’ve done thus far, please share!

Thanks,
xZAMx
xZAMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Zen86
Run, Reach, Fly

Drives: Monogram Firestorm
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Between the 2015 vs. the Monogram, I'll get the Monogram. Reported rumors on upgrade for 2015 is minimal. Shark Fin antenna and new shock/spring setup, etc. I traded in my base for a Monogram and haven't regretted one bit.

1.) Is the monogram series worth it in your eyes? - I like the fact that they already have the JDM head lights, and the push button start. The heated seats won’t do me much in Houston =/

Yes the headlights... main reason I traded mine in. But these ain't the true JDM headlights. They're the 10 series headlights. DRL doesn't come on with headlights like the JDM version unless you do the DRL mod, which I did

2.) I really want to get a clear bra for the front end of the car, what sections are more prone to chipping than others?

I suggest you do get a clear bra if you're worried about rock chips.

3.) Should I wait for the 2015 version to come out? I’m still doing research, but I still haven’t found out if the displacement is going to be bigger, or if TRD plans on coming out with a SC for it. I still need to do my h/w there. Regardless, I’d still go aftermarket turbo setup so I don’t have a bigger car payment each month.

Same engine in the 2013, 10 Series, 2014, Monogram and 2015

4.) What are some inexpensive MUST needed mods people recommend before anything major e.g. wheels coils etc.

This is fairly subjective. Opti-coat for paint protection

5.) I’m not a huge fan of the red stitching, and red accents with the seats. Is there any thing I can do about the stitching? Anyone have Clazzios?

The Monogram seats only have red stitching but no red side accents

5.) If there is anything else you could do differently, or if you’re satisfied with what you’ve done thus far, please share!

I would've waited for the Monogram before getting the base. Now that I've got one, I'm pretty much happy with the purchase. Even if they bring out a 2.5L or Turbo/SC version, I'll keep mine.
Zen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I just graduated with a CS degree and moved to Austin for a job. Picked up an asphalt monogram with clear braand haven't been happier. My previous car was a supercharged Corolla that was selected to show in Wekfest. Owned it for about 8 years, but after getting this car I tore down the Corolla, gave it to my mom, and haven't looked back.

tl;dr to answer your questions:
1) Yes
2) get a FULL hood and front bumper cover, plus side mirrors
3) no
4) Car is very driveable stock - meaning you don't NEED any mods. If you MUST get one, for performance, header + tune (Open Flash Tune/Tablet aka OFT)
5) possibly would've negotiated some TRD parts from the dealer - maybe the catback. Otherwise it's great.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
xZAMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
4) Car is very driveable stock - meaning you don't NEED any mods. If you MUST get one, for performance, header + tune (Open Flash Tune/Tablet aka OFT)
Yeah I was thinking a ECU flash would be necessary. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAMx View Post
Background: About to graduate college with a degree in Computer Science, and I’m about to move from Chicago to Houston pick up a nice job in Houston with a good salary. I’ve been in the Scion scene with my xB for 5 years. I love it, and would like to stay in it. The people are amazing, and they act as my extended family.

I’m looking at getting the hot lava or asphalt MT monogram series from my local Toyota dealership. My good friend is a car salesman there, and “says” he can give me a decent deal on my trade in. I’m about to get it appraised this Friday, and I will post back the number I will be getting.

Thanks,
xZAMx
Do not wait for the 2015 unless you want a OEM Shark Fin Antenna and new bolts. Buy the 2014 Monogram with the lower price.

If I had to do it over again, I would get the Monogram series over the 10 Series... I would prefer the navigation instead of the glowing badges.

If you want GOOD protection, put the film on the ENTIRE front bumper, ENTIRE hood, Front of the fenders, mirrors, top of the roof partially, A pillars, and the quarter panels. Add mudflaps.

If you want to over kill it, clear bra the entire car.

The required mod is probably exhaust tips LOL... other than that the car drives perfectly fine... Maybe grippier tires? But I enjoy the Prius tires.

The red stitching is everywhere...seats, steering wheel, door panels.... you would have to redo the entire car to match the rest of your color scheme.

On my car I've only done tint and rear spoiler....still to go is the exhaust and wheel spacers....then I'm done. The rest of my money will go on maintenance like the fluids, tires, air filters, etc etc. No plans for turbo or SC. 200 HP is more than enough for me.

The only thing I would had done differently is to add paint protection film, however $$$ was a factor at the time.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
xZAMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen86 View Post

This is fairly subjective. Opti-coat for paint protection
Well for the xB a lot of people suggested to get a rear sway bar, because the understeer was really bad.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Save your money and get a BRZ Limited for less than a Monogram?

For the same overall features, you can literally get one for thousands less.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post

Some people don't like mustaches.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
BobRickel (04-12-2014), raven1231 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Zen86
Run, Reach, Fly

Quote:
Well for the xB a lot of people suggested to get a rear sway bar, because the understeer was really bad.
I see. I think the car is pretty good off the line, driving wise.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Zen86
Run, Reach, Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
^ This. I preferr the FRS/GT86 front over the BRZ
Old 04-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
1. No, I don't want extra stuff.
2. Paint can be redone.
3. No, there's zero significant changes, search around, info is out.
4. Driver Mod.
5. There's stitching? I'm usually looking out the front window, not at the upholstery.
5. Should have bought it sooner.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Jond63 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Struckbylitenin

Drives: 10 Series FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Driver mod is all you need; just drive the damn thing and enjoy it before you start "improving" the millions of dollars toyota/subaru already spent creating it.
Struckbylitenin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Struckbylitenin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-11-2014), strat61caster (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As someone who was in your shoes a year ago . . .

I suggest you go used ... helps keep you financially liquid. Depreciation hurts.

I also regret not getting clear bra on front bumper. More chips than I'd expect after 15k miles. Mudguards are nice to have.
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdue FR-S For This Useful Post:
BobRickel (04-12-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (04-11-2014), raven1231 (04-11-2014)