follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #85
DG-86

Drives: 17' WRB BRZ Limited P.P. 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've driven both, while the automatic is nice and does a decent job of impersonating a true flappy paddle gearbox, this car is meant to be had in a proper manual transmission. Do yourself a favor and get one in a manual. I did and have no regrets. Hold your head high knowing you are doing your part to keep alive a dying skill and option!
DG-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG-86 For This Useful Post:
Gilwith1l (03-27-2014), newports (04-03-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #86
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I've been DD'ing my manual for a year and a half now with no regrets. Traffic is not an issue and even in the worst stop and go, it gives you something to do.

Every once in a while I'll get the notion in my head that I don't "feel like" taking the FR-S for a quick run to the post office or something and I'll take my wife's car... and then I wonder what I was thinking by the time I get to the first stop sign.

My only complaints are that I wish my garage was wider so I could open my door more.

Wind noise is a bit high, but as I came from older cars it wasn't a big adjustment for me. The speakers aren't very good so you do really have to crank the stereo when cruising at seventy, but that's easily fixed if I really cared. Truth is, I'm just as happy with the radio off listening to the car.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
newports (04-03-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #87
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I've been DD'ing my manual for a year and a half now with no regrets. Traffic is not an issue and even in the worst stop and go, it gives you something to do.

Every once in a while I'll get the notion in my head that I don't "feel like" taking the FR-S for a quick run to the post office or something and I'll take my wife's car... and then I wonder what I was thinking by the time I get to the first stop sign.

My only complaints are that I wish my garage was wider so I could open my door more.

Wind noise is a bit high, but as I came from older cars it wasn't a big adjustment for me. The speakers aren't very good so you do really have to crank the stereo when cruising at seventy, but that's easily fixed if I really cared. Truth is, I'm just as happy with the radio off listening to the car.
Just gonna toss this out in case it was missed. Make sure the stereo is set to FR-S and not TC as many were, then set it to DSP Loud and set the treble/bass to 3-4 which should work fine volume wise up to around 30-34 depending on your music type. Still no after market system, but it sounds much better.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #88
Autocon

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
Just gonna toss this out in case it was missed. Make sure the stereo is set to FR-S and not TC as many were, then set it to DSP Loud and set the treble/bass to 3-4 which should work fine volume wise up to around 30-34 depending on your music type. Still no after market system, but it sounds much better.
I have found that setting it to xD over FR-S gives you a deeper bass, which I am all for a deep and loud bass. I actually felt that the FR-S setting was the weakest of all. Any specific reason that it SHOULD be set to FR-S though?
Autocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #89
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
I have found that setting it to xD over FR-S gives you a deeper bass, which I am all for a deep and loud bass. I actually felt that the FR-S setting was the weakest of all. Any specific reason that it SHOULD be set to FR-S though?
It's my understanding (which could be wrong) that the setting tunes it for the cabin shape/speaker placement. All the Scions have different numbers of speakers in different places with differing power, etc. This allows Scion/Pioneer to provide one head unit tuned for all the cars. If you think xD sounds better, go for it. Maybe I'll try out another one as well.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #90
VuDism
NASIOC: AzNSTiImpreza

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i'm also asian... and if i were you I'd tell my mom "no thanks", eat the cost and buy the manual transmission on your own.

it is worth it.
VuDism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #91
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well ... since this has turned into another manual vs automatic ... I'll give you my 0.02. To OP: get the manual. Because in the very near future .... there will be no more manuals. Most performance cars are going dual clutch transmissions. When it comes to performance .... dual clutch automated transmissions are faster than manuals. Get the manual so you can experience a wonderful aging technology. That way ... you can tell your kids that you knew how to drive a manual.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
NOHOME (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #92
skylin3gtr013

Drives: '13 FR-S & '96 Miata
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I bought an automatic...and regretted it. So now I have an AT FRS as a DD and a beater MT Miata for fun car
skylin3gtr013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #93
Abraxus

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm 21 and have an AT 10 series. I'll tell you what man, I'm a pretty lazy driver so AT is the way to go for me. For you, don't muck about. You're dropping a lot of money on something you're going to have for a while. Get what you want. You'll be extremely happy man, I'm sure. Because.. who's going to be driving it more, your mum or you? Who will appreciate it more? That's just my logic. My mom wanted me to get a prius and I politely said piss off. I explained to my parents I'd be taking the brunt of the payment and am willing to cover the costs. Made sense to them. Hopefully it all works out for you bro. Good luck.
Abraxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #94
newports

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxus View Post
I'm 21 and have an AT 10 series. I'll tell you what man, I'm a pretty lazy driver so AT is the way to go for me. For you, don't muck about. You're dropping a lot of money on something you're going to have for a while. Get what you want. You'll be extremely happy man, I'm sure. Because.. who's going to be driving it more, your mum or you? Who will appreciate it more? That's just my logic. My mom wanted me to get a prius and I politely said piss off. I explained to my parents I'd be taking the brunt of the payment and am willing to cover the costs. Made sense to them. Hopefully it all works out for you bro. Good luck.
Off topic but lol are you really from cali? You talk like a Brit lol
newports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #95
Abraxus

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Haha man, I've been watching the Ricky Gervais show lately. I think it's wearing off.
Abraxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #96
1zeroth

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Never drove the automatic version, but I guess it gets around a couple issues I have with the car (second gear crunch in the cold, and a vague feeling clutch). The automatic won't be as fun on winding back roads, but chances are, you'll spend more time navigating traffic and parking lots, where an automatic is just easier.

It really depends on your personal preference, the roads you'll be on, and the climate you live in. If I was driving around the Bay Area, I'd probably go with the automatic.
1zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #97
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I think these cars are about the perfect daily drivers. Lets face it nobody drives to work with passengers. On Friday when you go the grocery to buy the stuff your old lady "forgets" it all fits. It handles the country backroads like a champ and it great on the interstate. It does well in the snow with snow tires.

The only question mark is how long the engine will last before becoming a PITA. A lot of people here are optimistic so I hope they are right, but I would be more comfortable with a Toyota engine.

There are already some with 50k miles no issues, but that's easy interstate driving. The chainsaw sound of the engine struggling up hills isn't quite confidence inspiring, neither is the tip-in knock, or the vvt sound. But I have my hopes up better now that there is a domestic TSB for a better factory tune. Every dd should get that dealer flash.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #98
BlackCaGuy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Get the automatic. The paddle shifter and manual control as well as the higher miles/gallon than the tc.
I drive mine 30 miles per day, use the manual shifting with the sport mode. It's a perfect wind down from work, and you feel like a new person when you get out of it. It's also a good way to train how to properly shift.
You should expect instant power when needed, and set you warning shift light at a good rev. Good luck.
BlackCaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote