follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the Rydeen Duo... Need to get a little creative with the mounting because it's fixed at a pretty low angle.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
dontpanic

Drives: shiny side up.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://www.rydeenmobile.com/downloads/DUO_Cam.pdf

according to the above spec the Rydeen Duo is a 12v not a 6v unit... is there an earlier Duo that powered off the HU?
dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Caboose

Drives: WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post

according to the above spec the Rydeen Duo is a 12v not a 6v unit... is there an earlier Duo that powered off the HU?
I would also like to hear if anyone knows the answer to this
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post

I know this is an old question, but I don't see that it was answered.

Even though the specs say 12v, the HU 6v power supply is enough. I have confirmed this in my installation, as have others here, but here is a link from the guy that knows these things better than the rest of us:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=111

-Z
Old 04-22-2014, 02:38 AM   #19
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Anyone has experience with this ?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-RearView-...=item5d46de615
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
No experience with that, but a couple possible issues:
  • I see that the camera includes backup lines, but I don't see a way to turn them off. The OEM HU will also include grid lines that cannot be turned off, so you could end up with backup lines overlayed on top of other backup lines.
  • I believe if you get power from the reverse lights, the HU will not recognize that you have a backup camera UNLESS you put your car in reverse immediately after starting it. If you just start your car like normal, and later put the car in reverse, even though the camera is now powered, the HU will not switch to your camera.
In addition, I think this would partially block one of your license plate lights? It says it's mounted on the reversing lights, but that's not right. Which leads me assume that even though this is described as being for the BRZ, it seems to be a more generic backup camera solution. Maybe I'm wrong.

You might find workarounds for these issues, or be willing to live with them for the price.

-Z

Last edited by zinzan; 11-10-2014 at 03:01 PM.
zinzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
No experience with that, but a couple possible issues:
  • I see that the camera includes backup lines, but I don't see a way to turn them off. The OEM HU will also include grid lines that cannot be turned off, so you could end up with backup lines overlayed on top of other backup lines.
  • I believe if you get power from the reverse lights, the HU will not recognize that you have a backup camera UNLESS you put your car in reverse immediately after starting it. If you just start your car like normal, and later put the car in reverse, even though the camera is now powered, the HU will switch to your camera.
In addition, I think this would partially block one of your license plate lights? It says it's mounted on the reversing lights, but that's not right. Which leads me assume that even though this is described as being for the BRZ, it seems to be a more generic backup camera solution. Maybe I'm wrong.

You might find workarounds for these issues, or be willing to live with them for the price.

-Z
I was more planning to buy this for the support and then replace with a higher quality camera but am not sure of which one I could use ..

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #22
ChrisJ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Add Roadshop HD1401 to the list, but. . .

Roadshop HD1401 works. HOWEVER:

There's a camera cable and a body harness cable. You have to solder the red wire of the camera cable to the red wire of the body harness cable, and then solder the cable to the connector at the head.

The Roadshop also needs to be grounded in the back of the car (the ground is not carried to the head) I grounded it to the cover of the speaker amplifier in the trunk.

The ground on the harness connector is really too short. An extra inch and a half makes all the difference. Or so they say.

I found the best place for the extra cable is in the door sill.

I found a really easy way to check if the camera works with a 6V head. Take a mini LED flashlight, open it and take the battery pack out. It should be three AAA batteries delivering 4.5 volts. The pack has a plus and minus terminal. Mine powered right up with 4.5 Volts.

I like the look, the performance, and the camera looks well made. It's good in low level light. It also needs a larger cutout in the back trim piece. My whole install was less than $100 and I got a great camera. If I did it again, I'd probably wait for a good deal on a Rydeen.

Lastly, you can test the camera without putting the car in reverse, which is kind of nice if you have the head unit resting on the shifter. Press Map --> Then press the three buttons together, then Failure Diagnostics --> System Check. If it comes up OK you're good to go. I can't say this works when a relay is in place, but it worked for me.

Happy modding, C
ChrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #23
Alexandr_Rychok

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Chevrolet Camaro
BRZ Backup Cameras a List

I about such yet did not hear
Alexandr_Rychok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #24
kounkun

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Garage
Has anyone ever tried mounting the Rydeen Duo on the license plate? I like the option of not drilling but the Beat Sonic requires 12v and I'd prefer to just get power through the HU's 6v.
kounkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #25
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have the OEM Subaru reverse camera... Then I had to buy a OEM BRZ specific shim to add to it for the angle adjustment.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #26
a_dee

Drives: '14 BRZ CBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
I have the OEM Subaru reverse camera... Then I had to buy a OEM BRZ specific shim to add to it for the angle adjustment.
I'm interested in the shim, mounted a camera today and don't get enough height to see infinity
The Following User Says Thank You to a_dee For This Useful Post:
meWant (07-06-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:44 AM   #27
a_dee

Drives: '14 BRZ CBS
Seems like I'm going to have to get a rubber block and cut it in a wedge shape to make the shim, not really getting much other options here..
Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
CBrown_BRZ

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Installing a rear backup camera in a Subaru BRZ w/ a navigation unit.

I found the easiest way to install a rear backup camera in a Subaru BRZ cheap and w/o having to drill any holes is:

1) Buy the following camera (you do not need one with lights for nighttime):
http://www.happyshoppinglife.com/car...on-p-2307.html

2) Buy the following wiring harness:
http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867.html

3) Learn how to remove the radio/navigation unit:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWRRJcxWkI"]Subaru BRZ Stereo Removal - YouTube[/ame]

4) Remove the factory license plate light cover.

5) Install the new license plate light cover w/ the camera.

6) Remove the radio/navigation unit and remove the 10 and 16 pin connectors. Plug in the new harness 10 and 16 pin connectors in to the back of the unit. Plug the original 10 pin connector into the new harness. Note: the original 16 pin connector is no longer needed and can just rest inside the cavity.

7) Plug the camera RCA jack in to the harness and connect the red wire from the video cable to the 12v connector on the harness.

8) Run the cable to the rear of the car and connect the video RCA cable to the camera and the red 12v wire to the camera. Connect the ground wire to the nearest ground. (You can always run the cable through the center of the car first to test.)

9) Turn the car on and put the car in reverse, you should see the rearview camera image on the screen.

10) Adjust the grid lines on the navigation unit: http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-install-16p-FT.htm

Total cost was under $50.00 and 30 to 60 minutes of your time.

Good luck!

Last edited by CBrown_BRZ; 09-18-2015 at 10:59 AM.
CBrown_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote