follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #1037
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Look into project mu too !

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #1038
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
What's your opinion on the Wilwood kits?
Not to steal King Tut's thunder, but I guess I should chime in since people sound like experts in here. I can only give you my opinion and my experiences on what has and has not worked. Wilwoods work, but are they good? Unless you're getting them for free because that's all you can afford, then by all means, go for it. Otherwise, your stock system is actually really good. Buy pads and fluid and be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsquid View Post
You drive a hard point.

But, my rebuttal is that Buddy Club probably wasn't around when those teams were looking for brake sponsors. Sponsorships are just as much political as they are performance related. Not really proving the case either way, just making a point.

Lastly, If nobody stepped outside the line, we'd all be lemmings, driving the same identical car, and the racing world would never evolve. Look at Megan Racing, they've come A LONG way.

Glass half full, unless otherwise noted.
Buy what makes you happy. I can only offer my experiences and opinions that may or may not affect your decision. I've driven too many different setups on the street and on the track. Honestly, I've decided to pull many cars back into the parking lot or paddock because I felt the modifications or lack of certain safety components were not well thought out. You can feel what works and doesn't work. The statement, "You get what you paid for," has a strong correlation with quality of components and R&D work, but it's not always the case.

I've also heard many racing teams are sponsored by certain brake pad companies, but they secretly swap out to their preferred pads and paint the backing plates to their brake sponsors trademark colors. Sometimes you have to understand what works and what doesn't before making claims that Alibaba stuff works like the real deal.

While people on here try to sell you on everything possible on the market, we consistently stick to our suggestions that are always tested and proven before we market them. How many others can look into your eyes and honestly say that?
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (03-12-2014), Ironsquid (03-12-2014), jamesm (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #1039
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Otherwise, your stock system is actually really good. Buy pads and fluid and be done.
I can say this isn't the first time I've heard this.

My problem is that for me, my car should have a perfect balance of form and function. The stock system works well, but it leaves a lot to be desired on form, sitting behind my nice aftermarket wheels.

Some say I'm chasing a white rabbit trying to balance it, but the balance makes me happy.

Not sure if you've seen those triangles of wisdom, but it could relate to this [Form, Function, Price Point] Pick two. I'd pick form and function, money doesn't matter. It's just money right?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #1040
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can say this isn't the first time I've heard this.

My problem is that for me, my car should have a perfect balance of form and function. The stock system works well, but it leaves a lot to be desired on form, sitting behind my nice aftermarket wheels.

Some say I'm chasing a white rabbit trying to balance it, but the balance makes me happy.

Not sure if you've seen those triangles of wisdom, but it could relate to this [Form, Function, Price Point] Pick two. I'd pick form and function, money doesn't matter. It's just money right?
What is your goal? What do you want to achieve? Where do you want to go with this car? Every modification we do and suggestion we deliver is deliberate. There is detailed reasoning behind the things we do and don't do to our car's setup and our clients' cars.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #1041
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
money is transient. if it were me i'd go with the ap sprint kit. seems to be the one we have the most data on, and those who have them tend to love them. another benefit is that you have a friend that owns the kit, so you can test ride first .
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #1042
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
What is your goal? What do you want to achieve? Where do you want to go with this car? Every modification we do and suggestion we deliver is deliberate. There is detailed reasoning behind the things we do and don't do to our car's setup and our clients' cars.
Well, the car is roughly 400hp, I basically want it to stop from 120-0 no fade consistently. Trying to stay out of the dirt/wall. I also want the calipers to look good.

I do car shows, events, autoX, drag and some track days. Full street weight.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #1043
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
What's your opinion on the Wilwood kits?
I trust Wilwoods. I also agree with David's advice that the OEM setup will probably work just fine for him. He seems pretty set on getting Buddy Clubs to be different, so I say let him. What pad size do they use?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #1044
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
money is transient. if it were me i'd go with the ap sprint kit. seems to be the one we have the most data on, and those who have them tend to love them. another benefit is that you have a friend that owns the kit, so you can test ride first .
This is why I don't like the AP racing kit, I don't think Tony likes his. They are cheap though.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #1045
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
He doesn't like AP bro. @Dave-ROR is somewhat close as well, and I think he still loves his AP kit. They aren't a show kit, they are a go/stop kit.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #1046
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
He doesn't like AP bro.
I would say something, but anything I say would just be toxic.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #1047
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I trust Wilwoods. I also agree with David's advice that the OEM setup will probably work just fine for him. He seems pretty set on getting Buddy Clubs to be different, so I say let him. What pad size do they use?
I don't think I said I was set on the Buddy Clubs, but thanks for speaking for me. I did say I was percolating on them. I also said stock probably wont cut the car show scene.

You trust big brand name brake companies, I get it. Do you just not like what you don't know? I don't know Italian cars, so all Fiats are crap? I mean thanks for the suggestion but was "Buddy Clubs are crappy because no race teams are using them" necessary?

It almost seems like you think I'm an amateur first time driver that never does any research. Just because I don't want to go with big brand names that while are proven, are also complacent, marked up and overdone, doesn't mean I'm a simpleton or ONLY doing it just in the sake of being different.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #1048
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
It almost seems like you think I'm an amateur first time driver that never does any research. Just because I don't want to go with big brand names that while are proven, are also complacent, marked up and overdone, doesn't mean I'm a simpleton or ONLY doing it just in the sake of being different.
I didn't say you are an amateur. Your only reason thus far is stating that they look beefy. I told you why they look beefy and it was because they had to add more material to maintain the same or probably less stiffness than the better calipers designs from Stoptech and Brembo. You said you want data. I am telling you that data doesn't exist, so in my mind I would not consider them. So what pad size do those front and rear Buddy Club calipers utilize?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #1049
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
@Ironsquid is no amateur, fwiw. When I have hard parts questions, he's the number I dial first if that means anything. I've been in this game a long time, and think I know enough to get by, but he knows a lot more than I do and I'm not afraid to admit it lol.

He's got most of us beat on the 'real world experience' front.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #1050
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
@Ironsquid is no amateur, fwiw. When I have hard parts questions, he's the number I dial first if that means anything. I've been in this game a long time, and think I know enough to get by, but he knows a lot more than I do and I'm not afraid to admit it lol.

He's got most of us beat on the 'real world experience' front.
I don't know how this turned into me questioning his knowledge or experience. No need to get into a pissing contest on experience. I expressed my concern with going with a relative newcomer and unknown quality braking company when there are great known options out there.

Tags
best company ever, big fuck off turbo, blown, bow chicka wow wow, fbm, full, owners, powaaaaaa!, thread, will work for turbo