follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
Juan_Ri

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just bought the Kenwood DX-630W unit... I'm sure that GPS module that it sold to work with it will not work for USA and Puerto Rico maps; but, do anyone knows if with an update or with other module will be compatible?
Juan_Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
Alabang BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I am looking at this kenwood as well. Does GPS apps like waze/google maps/apple maps work?
Alabang BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0en1xtk View Post
Gir, how much would it be to ask for a video review of your kenwood headunit? Im very interested in buying one for myself, but it seems theres a severe lack of information regarding this specific head unit online
I have the same unit, but over in South America it's called the DDX790wbt (or maybe it's a newer generation), and I 'm not too happy with it. it's freakin' slow.

It takes a long time to read a 8gb or 16gb usb stick, and during that time the radio doesn't play anything (I have a chevy and I don't have an issue with that, even though it's scanning the rest of the memory at least I get music).

The EQ is not so good, for the same price I could have had a 7 or 8 band EQ on Pioneer or Sony. My friend's older pioneer (no model info, sorry!) is a lot snappier.

The buttons are a pain, particularly when you're driving and you just want to change the song or the radio station.

The video playback from DVD is ok.

Now, it still looks better than the crappy stock radio (at least the toyota radio we get which is shared with almost every toyota in our market). The rear view camera mode is cool. It fits and looks better than a regular double DIN radio.

Since my GT86 isn't my primary car, I can live with all of the radio's flaws.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #32
kmf

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionTou View Post
Now, it still looks better than the crappy stock radio (at least the toyota radio we get which is shared with almost every toyota in our market). The rear view camera mode is cool. It fits and looks better than a regular double DIN radio.
I have the DDX-630WBT, same comments as above - looks perfect, but very lacking. I plan on switching it out with a decent head unit once I upgrade the sound system.
kmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #33
iketiak

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86/Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Ri View Post
I just bought the Kenwood DX-630W unit... I'm sure that GPS module that it sold to work with it will not work for USA and Puerto Rico maps; but, do anyone knows if with an update or with other module will be compatible?
The Kenwood Kna-G610 is a direct plug and play system and will work with the imported head unit. I am using the same head unit and navigation system right now.

Also if anyone bought it from 12volts off Ebay there will be a customs fee of 34 dollars extra, make sure you ask about the FCC 740 forms. Because mines was held at customs for 1 month then finally sent back because lack of documentation.
iketiak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iketiak For This Useful Post:
Jeff86 (05-26-2013), Juan_Ri (05-29-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The reasons that some of you have said the Kenwood head unit is lacking are things I wouldn't care much about. Could you comment on the audio quality of the unit? How does it sound (clarity, etc)? According to the documentation, the EQ section is full parametric with both sweepable frequency and width for low mid and high. That should do an excellent job of sound tailoring. I would much prefer that to 7 or 8 less flexible bands. Also, how does the BT sound with a smartphone/iPod?

I'm currently trying to decide between this and the T7019A android head unit (Chinese) 200mm Toyota size. I really want the perfect dash fitment. I tend to believe the Kenwood will have superior audio quality, so it's going to come down to how much I really want to be able to run Torque.

Last edited by Jeff86; 05-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
The reasons that some of you have said the Kenwood head unit is lacking are things I wouldn't care much about. Could you comment on the audio quality of the unit? How does it sound (clarity, etc)? According to the documentation, the EQ section is full parametric with both sweepable frequency and width for low mid and high. That should do an excellent job of sound tailoring. I would much prefer that to 7 or 8 less flexible bands. Also, how does the BT sound with a smartphone/iPod?

I'm currently trying to decide between this and the T7019A android head unit (Chinese) 200mm Toyota size. I really want the perfect dash fitment. I tend to believe the Kenwood will have superior audio quality, so it's going to come down to how much I really want to be able to run Torque.
It sounds great, and EQ is very tweakable.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
86KEEBS
DRIFT

Drives: Raven FRS 6mt
Garage
does anyone know if a kenwood fxdd07kf2 out of a 08 sti would fit proper and plug right in?
86KEEBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #37
ang31ito

Drives: Scion FRS 2013 - Whiteout
Garage
I am looking into getting one of these. How did you manage to connect the OEM microphone and USB/AUX connections embedded into the trim?
ang31ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #38
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang31ito View Post
I am looking into getting one of these. How did you manage to connect the OEM microphone and USB/AUX connections embedded into the trim?
My car didn't have a factory external mic, so I can help you there. As for the USB and aux, I ran a new port inside the centre console (that is now covered with the OEM arm rest). Much better spot for it, and I turned the original location into the bass boost control for my AMP.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #39
christgt86

Drives: Toyota FT86 2014
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Not sure if it's interesting for you guys here but in UAE, the optional HU from the dealer is a touchscreen Android based with Navi. So far I think it is a nice unit with very good display, bluetooth connection is great too.
I did some check and it's from a Taiwan manufacturer - Elead. I managed to do a Navi/DVD bypass following some of the threads on this forum.
There's an option to connect a reverse camera to the unit and I'm waiting for the reply for the harness.
Here's how it looks...
Attached Images

christgt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christgt86 For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (05-17-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #40
SHIFTER

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've got a Ca-Fi unit. Android powered, toyota sizing... basically plug and play. Pretty damn decent after a yearish of having it.

SHIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHIFTER For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (04-10-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #41
FRSHunter

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just noticed the clocks on EUDM and the USDM 86/FRS are different. Are the clocks red on GT86s? Also the passenger airbag on/off look different as well.
FRSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #42
SHIFTER

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSHunter View Post
I just noticed the clocks on EUDM and the USDM 86/FRS are different. Are the clocks red on GT86s? Also the passenger airbag on/off look different as well.
odd it does look that way. i'd rather it be more red looking.
SHIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote