follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #575
nataku
Negative Mass

Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
With my open filter I can hear intake hiss like crazy but the turbo itself doesn't really make much noise. Nothing like GT3xxx jet turbine noises.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #576
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
You are saying that the turbo spool is louder with Perrin CAI or other aftermarket intake when compared to stock aribox?
I hear the turbo on the AVO kit when I have an aftermarket intake on the car. I put a stock airbox with a panel filter on and I don't hear the turbo much anymore. So yes, to answer your question, the stock airbox does muffle the sound of the turbo.

The Perrin CAI on the other hand, being a long tube intake, doesn't muffle the sound, but has a different resonance being metal instead of ABS and that the intake end is more of a snorkel.

Any of the various other intakes with cone filters that lie within the engine bay of the car unimpeded would accentuate the sound of the turbo spooling.

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #577
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
I hear the turbo on the AVO kit when I have an aftermarket intake on the car. I put a stock airbox with a panel filter on and I don't hear the turbo much anymore. So yes, to answer your question, the stock airbox does muffle the sound of the turbo.

The Perrin CAI on the other hand, being a long tube intake, doesn't muffle the sound, but has a different resonance being metal instead of ABS and that the intake end is more of a snorkel.

Any of the various other intakes with cone filters that lie within the engine bay of the car unimpeded would accentuate the sound of the turbo spooling.

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Well, my data and fact were checked personally, but you knew that already...

It was pretty noticeable and accentuated inside the cabin, outside, etc. and going back to my initial post, moreso than stock airbox.... Maybe we are both saying the same thing and that's why I got confused on what you meant

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7uqfy6ZAJI"]Subaru BRZ with AVO Kit drive by video - YouTube[/ame]
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Skorov (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #578
Drift-Office

Quote:
Well, my data and fact were checked personally, but you knew that already...

It was pretty noticeable and accentuated inside the cabin, and going back to my initial post, moreso than stock airbox....

So are you saying it's

1) Not louder with the stock airbox?
2) Louder with the stock airbox than compared with a Perrin CAI or
3) Louder with an aftermarket intake?

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #579
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
So are you saying it's

1) Not louder with the stock airbox?
2) Louder with the stock airbox than compared with a Perrin CAI or
3) Louder with an aftermarket intake?

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
It's louder with Perrin CAI when compared to stock airbox and there is not much performance to be had from an aftermarket intake when compared to the stock airbox. Nothing more, nothing less.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (03-02-2014), gdrider77 (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #580
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I haven't put my car on the street yet so I cant attest to its reliability , however I feel compelled to add that these flange issues are limited to a 4 or 5 incidents on a kit that has been sold to a couple of hundred customers globally.

For a failiure rate as a % of volume, I'm sure it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Drift-Office (03-01-2014), SkAsphalt (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #581
Drift-Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
from your posts on AVO I would say like you're always overly positive and perhaps biased yourself, maybe some special relations/friendship with AVO?

indeed.
Indeed. I'm told that I've done more than 10% percent of last years total production numbers for the globe, which is about 30 percent of what what was shipped to the US alone. I do believe I have have more insight to this kit than most.

I have also done 3 Vortechs / 2 KWs / 1 JR / 1 Innovate / 2 ESCs & 1 custom top mounted turbo kit with a total of about 74 dyno tunes on GT86s / FRS / BRZs of assorted configurations. I confess, this does not make me an expert on all things GT86, but it does give me some leverage as to the experience my company has in this matter. And based on my experience, AVO has got my vote.

Having been doing R&D on other things with AVO (and other companies), has also given me a clear look into their inner workings, and if I felt otherwise, I wouldn't be working with them if I felt that their stuff was not up to snuff. Obviously, if I had as many problems as you and others might want to lead people to believe, it would be easier for me to drop the entire line and just do SC kits and get paid more, with less hassle. This obviously isn't the case.

Course, I suppose you're beyond suspicion, but I digress.

Quote:
i don't have a bias, i'm just confused about AVO response that there is no problem. Somewhat reminds me of Visconti's "looks good!".
"pouring" was an obvious exaggeration due people willing to accept this and spending extra for buying new gaskets as "normal".n obvious exageration
unfortunately not many people state who did the installation.

my 2 cents on top of your 2 cents.
It's funny how both your posts come up at the same time, almost in unison. It appears to be concerted, but yes, your cause for concern hasn't gone un-noticed. Maybe you're getting the same turbo kits too? Meh. again, you're not getting this kit, we got it. It's cool, move on. Last I read it says it was an AVO owners topic.

Quote:
It's louder with Perrin CAI when compared to stock airbox and there is not much performance to be had from an aftermarket intake when compared to the stock airbox. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote:
I never ran it with the stock intake. I do believe there is not much to be gained and it was more for the turbo sounds purposes.
Thank you for that clarification - I was under the impression that you were saying that the stock intake was more for the turbo sounds purposes.

Lastly ~

Quote:
maybe some of your customers who may have this issue will come forward

TO MY CUSTOMERS : PLEASE CHIME IN ABOUT ALL YOUR PROBLEMS YOU'RE HAVING
WITH THE AVO KIT.

Regards,

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
The Following User Says Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #582
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Bob from @Drift-Office tuned AND INSTALLED my AVO kit and realistically I have ZERO PROBLEMS!! Quality is amazing to the point of it looking OEM.
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Touge_ninja For This Useful Post:
Drift-Office (03-02-2014), SkAsphalt (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #583
InvalidJohnny5
The Based God

Drives: 87 Supra, 92 240SX, 13 BRZ Turbo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I personally haven't had any issue with the kit. That being said it was installed/tuned by Drift Office. So as far as the flange issue is concerned, I don't have one. I can say I only have exhaust leaks from my catback (shitty slip couplings). Usually you should use flange gaskets when installing an aftermarket exhaust, I wouldn't think any different for a manifold... For the few that have an issue with the manifold, I'd say ask for a replacement.
Milltek Full Exhaust (Overpipe, Cat-delete, Catback), AVO Turbo kit , Perrin Crank Pulley , ACT Clutch Kit , ACT Prolite Flywheel 10.5lb , Axel-Exchange Driveshaft, Sparco Assetto Gara 17x7.5, Hankook Ventus V2s 225/45/17, Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/45/17, Rally Armor Mudflaps, Viscontiproof tune Courtesy of Drift Office LLC

Last edited by InvalidJohnny5; 03-01-2014 at 10:24 PM.
InvalidJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InvalidJohnny5 For This Useful Post:
Drift-Office (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #584
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
i don't have a bias, i'm just confused about AVO response that there is no problem. Somewhat reminds me of Visconti's "looks good!".
If there was a problem across a large enough percentage of the headers, I'd say so. However, one reason people thought there was a problem had nothing to do with the flanges, but with the known quirks of a tubular Subaru header.

People that have actual problems with the flanges themselves being significantly warped, that will get down to me dealing with them on a warranty basis if they arrive like that. If they are like that after a significant usage period, then it will get down to how much boost they were running, how much timing they were (or were not) running, and how high their EGT's were when this happened. Unfortunately, not many tuners log EGT's when tuning out to high boost, so probably don't know if they overheated the exhaust manifolds. Metal is metal, if exposed to a high enough heat, it'll start warping.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #585
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
This is my opinion as well. I bought this piece for the looks. Not for performance. As data has shown the stock air box is quite good.

It does sound much nicer with the Perrin.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #586
InvalidJohnny5
The Based God

Garage
Also I have about 20k on the kit, and am in rather rough conditions....hot exhaust temps in -20 weather should cause warping, but thankfully none have occurred.
Milltek Full Exhaust (Overpipe, Cat-delete, Catback), AVO Turbo kit , Perrin Crank Pulley , ACT Clutch Kit , ACT Prolite Flywheel 10.5lb , Axel-Exchange Driveshaft, Sparco Assetto Gara 17x7.5, Hankook Ventus V2s 225/45/17, Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/45/17, Rally Armor Mudflaps, Viscontiproof tune Courtesy of Drift Office LLC
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InvalidJohnny5 For This Useful Post:
Drift-Office (03-02-2014), OjiGeorge (03-01-2014), SkAsphalt (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #587
InvalidJohnny5
The Based God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrider77 View Post
This is my option as well. I bought this piece for the looks. Not for performance. As data has shown the stock air box is quite good.

It does sound much nicer with the Perrin.
I was thinking of getting the Perrin CAI, does the induction sound fairly naice?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #588
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidJohnny5 View Post
I was thinking of getting the Perrin CAI, does the induction sound fairly naice?
See above.. REALLY nice i'd say.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
deucethemoose (03-01-2014), gdrider77 (03-01-2014), Skorov (03-02-2014)

Tags
avo, avoturboworld